Light-O-Rama Forums

Should I Upgrade to 5.6.8?

Don

The answer: Probably not.

If your show is running, there is no reason to upgrade to 5.6.8.

If your show is not running then upgrading to 5.6.8 will probably not resolve the problem. There were a few bug fixes, but none of them related to the act of the Show Player running scheduled shows.

In other words, unless you have a very specific reason to update a computer running your show to 5.6.8 - DO NOT DO IT until you take your display down.

• 5 months later...

I just made the jump from 3.12.4 to 5.6.8 and it's quite the learning curve but, all of my friends have made the jump and I want to keep current so that we can all help each other. I also just recently attended a Mini where they were demo'ing it. Adding props and moving props within your display is much much easier. 

I have lots of time to finish learning before the mad dash to pull it all together at the end. :D 

Needless to say I will be installing earlier this year to ensure a smooth display year.

7 hours ago, NWSanta said:

I just made the jump from 3.12.4 to 5.6.8 and it's quite the learning curve but, all of my friends have made the jump and I want to keep current so that we can all help each other. I also just recently attended a Mini where they were demo'ing it. Adding props and moving props within your display is much much easier. 

I have lots of time to finish learning before the mad dash to pull it all together at the end. :D 

Needless to say I will be installing earlier this year to ensure a smooth display year.

I have S5 Pro on a different computer but to be honest I don't want to switch out yet ( or not at all) because I help a few folks with their sequences in S4 Pro. This is year #16 in doing the musical show. I scaled back a lot from the days I was on the Canadian Christmas Forum. I here it is easier to sequence in S5 or soon S6 but then that would (for me personally) take all the fun out.  Sure it might take me a few days to sequence the AC channels I have (smoothly) but I enjoy it. It takes me longer to sequence sequences for a 24 x 50 and my 32 x 50 Matrix but again I enjoy it & I save myself money from buying them. Then again when 2023 comes around I may very well stop doing a musical show & simply use my smart pixels plus use the AC controllers to run red, green, blue, purple, white leds & simply change colours. Nevertheless I am glad you are moving forward. You might want to go S5 Pro or S6 when it comes out.

11 hours ago, lightzilla said:

Sure it might take me a few days to sequence the AC channels I have (smoothly) but I enjoy it.

I'm happy for you that you enjoy sequencing.  Personally, I rank sequencing as a small step above pure torture.  Most of that is not because I can't make the software do what I want (I can do that fine), but because I lack the artistic creativity to know what I want it to do.

• Like 3