Light-O-Rama Forums

Singing Tree Not Working/Lighting Up

Hansen

We purchased two singing trees (we are using the S5 edition, and running our show from our computer), we imported Ralphie and Felix into the Sequencer using the 'LOR props (online)' option. Everything looks great, the preview runs smooth and shows our talking sequences. But when we exported the show and tested it, the trees did not work or light up - but all of the lights in the sequence come on and work great.

The connection goes as follows: from Unit 1 to Ralphie to Felix to Unit 2 using CAT-5 cables, with the trees being plugged in to their own continuous power supply. Both trees are currently set to be Lead, since we don't have any singing sequences at this time...

Is there something that we're missing for programming in the Sequencer? Do we have to use the SSS and then export it to the Sequencer? Or is there anything else that we aren't doing/haven't done?

Thanks in advance for any insight and help.

• Like 1

What Unit ID # 's - did you assign the the Tree Contollers ? As By Default they both come with Unit ID 30 ( Main Singer - Elden)..

17 hours ago, Hansen said:

We purchased two singing trees (we are using the S5 edition, and running our show from our computer), we imported Ralphie and Felix into the Sequencer using the 'LOR props (online)' option. Everything looks great, the preview runs smooth and shows our talking sequences. But when we exported the show and tested it, the trees did not work or light up - but all of the lights in the sequence come on and work great.

The connection goes as follows: from Unit 1 to Ralphie to Felix to Unit 2 using CAT-5 cables, with the trees being plugged in to their own continuous power supply. Both trees are currently set to be Lead, since we don't have any singing sequences at this time...

Is there something that we're missing for programming in the Sequencer? Do we have to use the SSS and then export it to the Sequencer? Or is there anything else that we aren't doing/haven't done?

Thanks in advance for any insight and help.

Unit conflicts with both being set to Unit 30. Change one of them and then you can copy paste from the lead voice. Make the controller 32,34 or 36

We tried Ralphie as lead and Felix as back up one and neither worked. Then we switched Ralphie to backup two, and kept Felix as backup one and he worked - but Ralphie only half lit up, and of that only a quarter actually followed the sequence. So far, we've had success in getting Felix to work correctly (lighting up and working with the sequence), but nothing we've done has helped to make Ralphie work. We've got the connection going from Unit 1 to Felix, to Ralphie, to Unit 2...

But we don't understand what you mean by changing the controller id. Is that done by changing the dip switches to make them lead, or backups? Or do we need to plug the tree controllers into the LOR HU and altering the id there?

If we have things run as follows, would it fix the problem: Unit 1 (LOR 16 channel controller) to Ralphie (our main tree) and set to Unit 30 and Lead, then to Felix and set to Unit 32 and Backup One, and then to our Unit 2 (LOR 16 channel controller)?

Lead or Backup is a 'Prop" role. You need to assign the ID to the prop you want for the role.  eg. #32 your are lead, #30, 34, 36 you are backups 1,2,3

There is a standard LOR ID for each role (I believe they are all in the 3x series)  There should have been a note with your shipment

Sounds like a speed problem If both your AC controllers have Green LEDS, crank the speed up to 500K ( 115K if you only have a Black USB adapter . With Pro, you can also turn on Enhanced mode BUT only if Green LEDs)

Pixies really want to run at 500K (Red adapter required)

Edited by TheDucks

If all Dip Switches are off the HU can assign the unit ID's for the singing trees, but if they are on, as soon as power is removed, they will default to whatever settings the dip switches in the ON position are set for.

I re-Id'd my Trees as follows {I don't have but 2 physical trees currently{Ralphie and Zuzu}, but all 4 are in my sequence and set up for future expansion}.

#1: I turned all DIP SWITCHES to OFF in my Pixie 2D Controllers

#2. Using the HU: I set Ralphie to unit ID #0A{0B}.

#3. Disconnected Ralphie, connected Zuzu and set her ID to # 0C{0D}

#4. Just added Felix in, set him up with ID #0E{0F} {just follow the above 3 steps for Felix and Elden to change their ID #'s.}

#5. Added Elden and set his ID to #10{11}

NOTE: The # in {##} is the 2nd ID automatically assigned by the HU when the main ID is set.  There is no way to only use a single ID with Pixies.

Remember all unit ID's are in Hexadecimal and all Pixies use more than 1 ID per controller, Pixie 2's use 2 ID's, 1 per port.  And even though the trees are set to use "DUMB RGB" mode, 8 channels, they must be configured correctly to work properly.  Each tree should use only 8 channels and a total of 24 circuits.   And no, you will not see the 2nd ID in use in your sequence, but the Pixie knows it's there, nor will the HU show the 2nd Port ID on a Pixie 2.

Hope this might help some.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Orville said:

If all Dip Switches are off the HU can assign the unit ID's for the singing trees, but if they are on, as soon as power is removed, they will default to whatever settings the dip switches in the ON position are set for.

I re-Id'd my Trees as follows {I don't have but 2 physical trees currently{Ralphie and Zuzu}, but all 4 are in my sequence and set up for future expansion}.

#1: I turned all DIP SWITCHES to OFF in my Pixie 2D Controllers

#2. Using the HU: I set Ralphie to unit ID #0A{0B}.

#3. Disconnected Ralphie, connected Zuzu and set her ID to # 0C{0D}

#4. Just added Felix in, set him up with ID #0E{0F} {just follow the above 3 steps for Felix and Elden to change their ID #'s.}

#5. Added Elden and set his ID to #10{11}

NOTE: The # in {##} is the 2nd ID automatically assigned by the HU when the main ID is set.  There is no way to only use a single ID with Pixies.

Remember all unit ID's are in Hexadecimal and all Pixies use more than 1 ID per controller, Pixie 2's use 2 ID's, 1 per port.  And even though the trees are set to use "DUMB RGB" mode, 8 channels, they must be configured correctly to work properly.  Each tree should use only 8 channels and a total of 24 circuits.   And no, you will not see the 2nd ID in use in your sequence, but the Pixie knows it's there, nor will the HU show the 2nd Port ID on a Pixie 2.

Hope this might help some.

Took the words right out of my mouth. LOL

JR

5 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Lead or Backup is a 'Prop" role. You need to assign the ID to the prop you want for the role.  eg. #32 your are lead, #30, 34, 36 you are backups 1,2,3

There is a standard LOR ID for each role (I believe they are all in the 3x series)  There should have been a note with your shipment

Sounds like a speed problem If both your AC controllers have Green LEDS, crank the speed up to 500K ( 115K if you only have a Black USB adapter . With Pro, you can also turn on Enhanced mode BUT only if Green LEDs)

Pixies really want to run at 500K (Red adapter required)

He can still crank the speed up to 500K Enhanced, better safe than sorry. 115K- not for the singers or pixie2

JR

10 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Took the words right out of my mouth. LOL

JR

Well, if you hadn't of set me straight on this when I first got mine, I'd probably still be looking at non-working Singing Trees too. LOL  So just passing on what I learned from YOU, my friend.

Seems a lot of folks get confused on how to set the singing trees up {I know I was when I first got my 2!}, and the new pixie controllers that are multi-ID units, then they seem to forget LOR also uses Hexadecimal for their ID numbering system and that the pixies ARE all multiple, NOT single ID units.   Remember those, and you'll be good to go. 

Although I've got to say, the manual, and info that came with my singing trees, still had me somewhat puzzled on how to set them up when I got them.   I had them set up as "smart RGB", so each tree was 200 channels, and every bulb sequenced independently, which they can be used/done in this mode, but it's a royal pain to sequence them {I know this, because I tried it that way !}

Much easier with 8 Channels and each section assigned of the tree in "DUMB" RGB mode.

• Like 1

Pic 1: This is our current set-up. We switched to the red adapter as suggested.

Pic 2: The COM port changed from 3 to 4 when we switched from the black to red.

Pic 3: This is the error we get when we try to initialize the show after switching from the black adapter to the red.

Pic 4: The HU shows all of our Controllers and the two trees.

Pic 5: Felix: 32/Backup 1 test – all good

Pic 7: Ralphie: 30/Lead test – works, but has 9 nodes that don’t work: 1 in the star, 1 on the upper right side, 2 on the lower right side, and 5 on the bottom left.

When we tried to run the show with the black adapter at a 115k with Ralphie on 30 and Felix on 32 – nothing happened. When we switched Ralphie to 34 and kept Felix on 32 – Felix worked fine, but Ralphie had the same lighting issues as before.

When we switched everything to the red adapter and 500k, nothing worked.

Picture1.jpg

Picture2.png

Picture3.png

Picture4.png

Picture5.png

Picture7.png

There must be something that we're missing or not understanding, but with this being completely new we're really not sure what we're doing - and even less sure what we're doing wrong.

When you (ex)CHANGE adapters, it gets a NEW Com# from Windows

Open the Network tool and set the (new)Com# to match the LOR Network name you are replacing.

That should do it.

We did that, and it still didn't work. The COM changed from 3 to 4, and I changed that in the Network. The only time we've had anything work is on COM 3 with Back-Up 1 and 2.

We're open to talking via phone call, or messenger chat, or facetime... We'd just really like to get this fixed.. Thank you so much for helping us.

On 12/7/2021 at 8:26 PM, Hansen said:

We did that, and it still didn't work. The COM changed from 3 to 4, and I changed that in the Network. The only time we've had anything work is on COM 3 with Back-Up 1 and 2.

We're open to talking via phone call, or messenger chat, or facetime... We'd just really like to get this fixed.. Thank you so much for helping us.

When you get to many hands in the pot you get nowhere. 

I will send you a pm with a cell. Stop changing everything if you want my help just ask.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

++++ Anyone reading this *****

The very first thing to check if experience this type of problem with the singing face is to look for a JUMPER on pins JP5. ---- Remove that jumper!

Also ensure you connect the controller pigtails to the proper connector. Some # labels are missing on either pigtails or light strings or both.

This issue was resolved via a simple telephone call, a text message and a video I made earlier this month of how to determine which ports to connect to.

It was a real pleasure helping this family get their singers caroling away.

JR

#  LOR Singing Quartet Not Working

Eldin

Felix

Ralphie

Zuzu

Edited by dibblejr

We would like to thank JR for his help...The show launches tonight, and he made Christmas Merry again. The Jumper, and making sure they are hooked to the right pigtail was magic. As newbies, we really appreciate everyone's kindness and willingness to help. As we learn we will be happy to share. And now the next project..DMX....Here we go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hansen said:

We would like to thank JR for his help...The show launches tonight, and he made Christmas Merry again. The Jumper, and making sure they are hooked to the right pigtail was magic. As newbies, we really appreciate everyone's kindness and willingness to help. As we learn we will be happy to share. And now the next project..DMX....Here we go.

You have my number.

You are welcome. 

As always I am blessed by helping those I can and hope to see some videos of your show since this year has been a dark year for me.

Happy Holidays

JR

5 hours ago, Hansen said:

If JR can't help you get things going, well, almost no one can.  If it weren't for JR, I never would have my 2 Singing LOR Trees working properly either.  He was very instrumental in helping me get mine up and operational too when I first got them!

Hi JR. 

I just unboxed my 2 trees. I set the dips of Felix to be Backup one, and then connected it to the HUB to confirm it was set to 32. When I click refresh it says "Found 0 Units". So do you need to set the controller ID on the trees, or does the dip switches manage?

Thanks

David

2 hours ago, thenoeman said:

Hi JR. 

I just unboxed my 2 trees. I set the dips of Felix to be Backup one, and then connected it to the HUB to confirm it was set to 32. When I click refresh it says "Found 0 Units". So do you need to set the controller ID on the trees, or does the dip switches manage?

Thanks

David

All the back up means is this.

As sequenced Eldin 30 is the Lead in most cases unless it’s a female lead.

Felix 32 is 1st backup

Ralphie 34 is 2nd backup

ZuZu 36 is 3rd

By selecting the different you are only swapping the unit IDs.

I always recommend turning off dip switches and even more so for the pixie2.

Imagine this- there are 8 tiny screws that seem to be a foot long while removing.

You have 1,2,3 trees now and later want to add 4 however you have used the dip switches to set the unit IDs.

Therefore you will have to open up a unit to reset the unit IDs.

If you turn off all dip switches now you only need the HU to set the unit IDs and will not have to open that box again if you plan things right.

So I suggest turn off the dip switches.

Perform the “proper reset” for a pixie controller

1- power up the controller

2- push and hold the test button ( you will continue to push the button in until instructed to release)

3- Power down the controller

4- Count about 20 seconds after the status light goes out

5- Power up the unit and as soon as the light flashes fast—— now release the button

6- the light should start flashing slower

That was the proper reset. I have read a lot of incorrect reset processs recently.

Once the reset is complete open a new instance of the Hardware Utility.

Connect the tree to your RS485 adapter

”Refresh” HU and it should find “Found 1 unit 01 Pixie2D V…,”

Do not worry if it doesn’t say unit 1

In the bottom left “Change Unit ID”

Select old Unit 01 or whatever number shows up in the “refresh “

New Unit ID  - whatever unit of the singer you want 30, 32, 34 or 36

After the reset escape HU

Re open HU and do the refresh and ensure it finds the correct Unit ID

Now - look inside the controller and if there is a Jumper on pins JP5 REMOVE that jumper.

Dont forget to set your Network Preferences at 500k Enhanced.

If you have problems feel free to ask. If my PM is full please reply within the thread.

Happy Lighting

JR