Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone have this issue with LOR Singing Trees, Nodes falling out on their own.

Orville

Wasn't sure where to ask this one, so put it in the Coffee Shop.

Here's the issue, I live in Florida and the sun can get quite intense here, my 2 singing trees have been in the sun last year, but this year, seems the black material is getting so hot the black material has started to bend{warp} here and there, causing the nodes, mainly Zuzu's bow, to fall out, so far I've had to put about 4 or 5 nodes back in that have come loose, many others were slightly out, but didn't fall out.   The trees are secured all the way around with screws and washers to a wooden frame, then attached through those with 4 deck screws in each one to my wooden ramp,

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if so, how did you keep it from happening again?

I don't want to "glue" the RGB nodes in, just in case I ever need to make any repairs, or RGB node replacement.

And no, no one or anything is pushing them out, as I've been working on other things outside, and the nodes were in place, yet, about 2 hours later, several nodes had dropped out again.  Very frustrating to have to keep pushing these nodes back into their places.  And the reason I know no one pushed them out is because I was working not more than 5 feet away from then, and when I looked at them, Zuzu's nodes in her bow, the same ones had fallen out again. :(

Any suggestions on how to make these nodes stay in using a temporary measure would be wholeheartedly appreciated!

Edited by Orville
Fix punctuation and typo's.

Remember the Brylcream slogan. "A little dab will do you"It does not take much (hot) glue (not epoxy) to keep them from falling out.

10 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Remember the Brylcream slogan. "A little dab will do you"It does not take much (hot) glue (not epoxy) to keep them from falling out.

I'd do that, but when I've used Hot Glue in the past, it just becomes a slimy, sticky mess and gets{melts} all over everything.  Hot Glue does not work well under the Florida Sun and Heat. :(

1) in most other props the node holes are tighter (slightly smaller)

2) the Sun is expanding the Plastic (loosen up on the frame screws and enlarge the mounting holes in the Prop, to allow for expansion.

3) use Adhesive Silicone (not Hot Glue)

2 hours ago, Jimehc said:

1) in most other props the node holes are tighter (slightly smaller)

2) the Sun is expanding the Plastic (loosen up on the frame screws and enlarge the mounting holes in the Prop, to allow for expansion.

3) use Adhesive Silicone (not Hot Glue)

Did #2 when I built the frames, know all about the heat expansion and winter contractions, so I took that into consideration when I built them.  The screws are just snug, not tightly bound, so the trees should have "breathing room".

Will have to get #3 and just use a small dab to keep them in place, just the ones falling out, a few others loosen a wee bit, but not enough to fall out, or, I should say, they haven't yet.  When I take them down for the season, I'll just add a dab of silicone to all of them, and hopefully, won't have this issue next year.  This is their 2nd year, but they were mounted differently and in a different place for 2021.

Thanks for the tips.

4 hours ago, Orville said:

Did #2 when I built the frames, know all about the heat expansion and winter contractions, so I took that into consideration when I built them.  The screws are just snug, not tightly bound, so the trees should have "breathing room".

Will have to get #3 and just use a small dab to keep them in place, just the ones falling out, a few others loosen a wee bit, but not enough to fall out, or, I should say, they haven't yet.  When I take them down for the season, I'll just add a dab of silicone to all of them, and hopefully, won't have this issue next year.  This is their 2nd year, but they were mounted differently and in a different place for 2021.

Thanks for the tips.

Get some cheap plastic mesh and cover the back. That will prevent them from popping back. None of mine have moved but i use al for my frame.

JR

• The topic was locked