Light-O-Rama Forums

Smart Pixel Lights Stay On

Brian Dietrich

I have just replaced my HolidayCoro smart strips which are hooked up to an AlphaPix 4 controller.  At each strip connection, the first 3 lights on all 4 outputs stay on RED all the time.  I have used the test mode and even when placed on "black", the 1st 3 lights remain RED.  Even during sequences, the lights remain RED.  I have tried a different controller, same results.  

I hooked up a couple of old strips and no problem.  The only change made was the pixel chip color order from BRG (old strips) to RGB (new strips). 

Any ideas of something I am missing?

Thanks in advance.   

If old lights work on that controller and the new lights don't work on that controller or any other controller then it is probably the lights. Double check the wiring and make sure you connected the wires correctly and the correct end. Look for the printing and the arrows on the ribbon, pixels are directional.

Edited by Mr. P

Mr. P,

Thanks for your response.  I agree with you, the lights are the only things changed. The strips come pre-wired and the arrows are correct.  All of the lights work correctly to the songs, it is just those first 3 lights that stay on.  I have reached out to HolidayCoro thinking maybe the controller needs the firmware updated to work correctly with these new light strips.  

Again, I appreciate your response.

Regards and Merry Christmas.

I had an Alphapix16 controller a few years back where the lights worked but the first three pixels were blue, they came on blue as soon as the power was applied to the controller. The problem was the output chip, it looks like a black rectangle with about 10 legs coming out pressed into the board. An Alphapix4 will have only one as each one covers 4 ports. HC sent me a handful of free chips and they just pull out and the new ones press in.

https://www.holidaycoro.com/Pixel-Controller-Output-Buffer-Chip-Replacement-p/625.htm

Edited by Mr. P

Mr. P,

Thanks for your response and assistance.  I am still awaiting a response from HolidayCoro, but did order some backup Output Buffer Chips to have on hand.

Again, thanks for your help.

Brian 

Mr. P,

I received and replaced the output chip on each controller and now none of the lights work, not even in test mode.  The notch is in the correct direction and all chip legs are correctly installed.  I reinstalled the old chips and the lights now work but still have the first 3 lights staying on RED all the time.  The only 2 things that really changed were the light strip replacements and I performed a Windows update prior to initial testing.  I still have not heard from HC.  

Any thoughts or advise from you or anyone else?

Brian 

Update:

I ended up replacing the V2 controllers with V3 back-up/spare controllers and the lights are now working properly.

I have still not heard from HolidayCoro.