Light-O-Rama Forums

Just Making Sure

Guest guest

Dan,

Just wanted to make sure I order everything I need at the sale for a 32 channel show. Ordering two LOR1602W's, 1 SPK-ST Starter Package, 1 10 ft. CAT-5, and 1
50 phone extension for connection to the computer.

Please let me know if I have forgotten anything.

Thanks so much for all the help.

Arthur

racernut wrote:

Dan,

Just wanted to make sure I order everything I need at the sale for a 32 channel show. Ordering two LOR1602W's, 1 SPK-ST Starter Package, 1 10 ft. CAT-5, and 1
50 phone extension for connection to the computer.

Please let me know if I have forgotten anything.

Thanks so much for all the help.

Arthur

I'm 99.9% sure that first connection from the computer to your first controller needs to be a CAT5 cable. Everything else looks right.

I was just figuring from the computer to the controllers. I plan to make my own extension cords with a bulk roll of wire and ends. I have a friend at an electric supply store and get a small discount.

Thanks for the help.

It is recommended that the first jump (SC485 to first controller) be CAT5... It is a good recommendation to follow but things will work OK with telephone cable as well.

I will tell you all that I personally used a 100ft telephone cable from the PC to my first controller last year. I think that CAT5 is a better solution than phone cable. The wire is better, the RJ45 connections are mechanically better and the overall reliability is better.

With that all said, I used phone cable.. it was cheaper and it work.

Hopefully the last question I have. What is the difference between the bootless CAT 5 and the booted one?

If that means without ends where do I have those put on?

Thanks,

Arthur

dave wrote:

has anyone used cat 6 if so do you see a differance

I don't think you will see ANY difference at all between Cat5, Cat5e, and Cat6. (You probably won't see any difference with phone line either.)

TED

racernut wrote:

Hopefully the last question I have. What is the difference between the bootless CAT 5 and the booted one?

If that means without ends where do I have those put on?

Thanks,

Arthur

The boot is just there to keep dirt out of the plug and to prevent the thumb tab from snagging on other cables. It does not have any affect on the function of the cable. A patch cable by definition has plugs on the ends. Without plugs it's not a patch cable. If you order a patch cable it will have ends.

TED

mattyjaco wrote:

The first connection should be cat 5 (or wireless)

You still need a cable with the wireless. It has to be connected to the computer. The first connection will always be a cable.

TED

i TED wrote:

dave wrote:
has anyone used cat 6 if so do you see a differance

I don't think you will see ANY difference at all between Cat5, Cat5e, and Cat6. (You probably won't see any difference with phone line either.)

TED
i didnt think so just wondering i am able to get my hands on some cat 6 quicker than cat 5. cool thanks