Light-O-Rama Forums

Do you use a back up Generator? My Thanksgiving was powerless in California, Thanks Edison.

Box on Rails

On Wednesday I started running my Christmas show at 5:00pm. All went was with all the new props with the exception of a couple being blown over by the High winds. So as I was ironing out the details on the show all day, I was unaware of this email that I received earlier in the day: 

It’s likely we will need to shut off your power in the next 4 hours due to wind-driven fire conditions in your area. Conditions could last through Friday afternoon. We continue working to reduce the number of customers affected. We’ll keep you updated and notify you again at the time of shutoff if we need to shut off your power. Weather could affect shutoff timing and wind-related outages may also occur. We understand this is inconvenient. We appreciate your patience as we work to keep your community safe.

Of course the Southern California Edison Shuts down the power in my entire Neighborhood at 7:45pm right in the middle of the show. I had no Idea what was up until I called them and stated they shut us down because of the Reg flag fire danger in my area. then I found the Email, Swell. Needless to say. No one in my neighborhood was giving thanks to Edison on Thanksgiving day with no power all day. So this morning around 1:00am the power came back on. This has never happened to me before but Edison states in will happen again and to be prepared. I guess that's the price I pay for living in Southern California near the brush fire prone mountains. I'm sure there are a number of you who have backup power for your home but what about the power for you show? What brand and wattage do you use?  Happy Holiday to everyone. 

Kenny

Yes (and a full tank of 'stabilized' fuel). I start (and run for 30Min) it Monthly to keep the battery up.

My Router is also on a 30min (at the presented load) UPS as it supplies my Landline as well as Internet. Gives me time to check PG&E status and drag out the cords to run the Refer, Freezer and recharge the UPS's

I also have large Candles on metal plates with a BIC sitting by each 

(Grew up in NJ with Hurricanes in Winter. Never knew if a few hours or Days)

Actually you can largely thank the California legislature for that one - Edison just implemented it.  Long explanation available if you want it.

As for a generator, I have a 2.2KW Honda inverter generator.  I would likely not try to power the show, but all the computer, and networking equipment along with the refrigerator, and air pumps for the aquariums would get powered.  All the computer and networking stuff has hours of battery that will keep it all up until I can get the generator running.  And like TheDucks, I keep it full of gas that gets replaced every two months with fresh gas, and I run it under load at the same time for an hour or two..  I have enough gas in cans for about a day and a half.

Several years ago when I replaced my main electrical panel, I borrowed one Honda from a friend and bought mine.  Ran the house on those two generators for 80 hours.  I was very happy to have SCE power back.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I think I may of went over kill on a 12,000 watt Westinghouse generator. Since Edison could shut off my power at any time and for who knows how long I wanted to make sure I had plenty of power with some to spare. In fact after all my essentials are going in my house, there might be just enough left over to run a little show like mine. Anyone know how many watts one pixel fully illuminated puts out? I need to do the math. The diming curve might be my friend. lol

100% full white on most pixels is around 55 - 60 mA, and about half that for "low power" pixels.  So worst case of 60 mA times 12 volts equals .72 watts per pixel.  Using 5 volt pixels cuts that to about .3 watts per pixel.  There can be quite a bit of variation, so you really need to measure it.  That goes up because you DC power supplies are not 100% efficient.

A Kilowatt meter is your friend.

https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4460-Kill-A-Watt-Tm-Ez/dp/B01IE05C82/ref=asc_df_B01IE05C82/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=475741895460&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14918642131606557125&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9031245&hvtargid=pla-1087390661471&psc=1

18 hours ago, Box on Rails said:

Thanks guys. I think I may of went over kill on a 12,000 watt Westinghouse generator. Since Edison could shut off my power at any time and for who knows how long I wanted to make sure I had plenty of power with some to spare. In fact after all my essentials are going in my house, there might be just enough left over to run a little show like mine. Anyone know how many watts one pixel fully illuminated puts out? I need to do the math. The diming curve might be my friend. lol

That size seems a bit of overkill unless you plan on running HVAC 😛 My peak DAY is about 24KWH, when I charge my EV (6.6KW rate. The charger will handle cars that can take 10KW) . Many daily loads are intermittent,  So you only need to stagger them when first powering up after an outage.

BTW is that 12KW continuous run or starting capacity?

The reason for my comment: Many devices have a Minimum load, to stay well regulated

FWIW We have 9500 Predator Inverter type out at our off-grid (3 Mi to closest utility) retreat.

Great unit, but it is a BEAST to move.  Odd thing is you can't pull its capacity from a single outlet  (the 120/240 is only 30A, but you also have a 30A 120 also 2 standard 20A duplex)

22 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

The reason for my comment: Many devices have a Minimum load, to stay well regulated

Also an issue for diesel engines.  They don't run well at low load.  You will spend a lot of time and money keeping the diesel engine happy.  In fact at one of our radio sites for work, we have an 80KW diesel powered generator and have three 17KW switchable load banks on it.  For testing we can turn on all three for 51 KW of load, but normally leave only one turned on.  Building load is 30 - 50 KW (mostly varies due to air conditioning).  We planned on being able to increase load in the building without having to replace the generator.  We also have a 1,000 gallon diesel tank (and yes, that is properly maintained - both the tank and the fuel).  and yes, there is a reason we prefer diesel over propane.

18 hours ago, TheDucks said:

BTW is that 12KW continuous run or starting capacity?

I got this Westinghouse https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q1DLKBG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 

It has 9500 Running Watts and 12500 Peak Watts (Gasoline); 8500 Running Watts, 11200 Peak Watts (Propane); Remote Start With Included Key Fob, Electric and Recoil Start; Up to 12 Hours of Run Time on a 6. 6 Gallon Fuel Tank With Fuel Gauge

This will power the essentials in my home for sure. 

2 hours ago, Box on Rails said:

I got this Westinghouse https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q1DLKBG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 

It has 9500 Running Watts and 12500 Peak Watts (Gasoline); 8500 Running Watts, 11200 Peak Watts (Propane); Remote Start With Included Key Fob, Electric and Recoil Start; Up to 12 Hours of Run Time on a 6. 6 Gallon Fuel Tank With Fuel Gauge

This will power the essentials in my home for sure. 

You might have to be careful running the AC and Level 2 charging your Tesla 😛, other than that. 

BTW that has the 50A outlet, mine lacks (,envy.). OTOH, mine has the Quiet (campground friendlier) package. 

• Haha 1

• The topic was locked