Light-O-Rama Forums

I guess I've been under a rock...

Guest guest

I guess I knew this sort of thing was going on; I saw a blurb on TV at Thanksgiving, but must not have paid much attention. Something like, "Oh, cool; Christmas lights."

Yesterday I was playing around at youtube.com, where I saw Mason's [evidently] famous video in a tiny 2-inch window. I WAS ABSOLUTELY BLOWN AWAY BY SUCH INSANITY, and now I am hooked. Since then I have seen a lot of your videos, and I am just amazed at you people.

I have been as all over the web as one can in the last 36 hours, minus 7 hours for sleep and 4 hours for mother's day, researching this stuff.

Looks like I've found the right place to be. F'rinstance, I have learned that if I wait a week, I can save some money placing an order with Dan. Which is doubly cool, in that it gives me a week to do more homework -- turn over all the nuances of hobby vs. showtime, wireless, etc. etc.

My handle, digital analog, means that when I showed Mason's video to the family today, my sister figured someone (88 someones?) was in the house turning the lights on & off :shock: . So some day I hope to produce a decent >digital analog< of a buncha people blinking lights to music.

Glad I found this place; lots of info here.
Back to lurk mode
-j

Welcome to Planet Christmas! No need to lurk here. You won't be oppressed for posting stuff. I don't speak for everyone, but most of us welcome your input. Enjoy your new hobby, and don't worry about the people that look at you funny for singing carols in May. They will understand when they see your display in December.

jeff

Welcome!!

were glad you found us, look around and if you have any questions just ask, thats what everyone is here for!!!

ps. i think you mean carson not mason

pss. whats going on in your avatar?

Thanks, Jeff. My wife already told me I might as well use Wizaeds in Winter as my ringtone. She's heard it enough, & I go around humming it. It'd be there too, but wallyworld.com flubbed my credit card on that $0.88 music DL transaction.

I kinda like lights year-round, & since I live in the country, that's probably OK (neighbors).

I think the wife will enjoy this (latest of many) obsession, if I can pull it off. jeffmill wrote:

Welcome to Planet Christmas! No need to lurk here. You won't be oppressed for posting stuff. I don't speak for everyone, but most of us welcome your input. Enjoy your new hobby, and don't worry about the people that look at you funny for singing carols in May. They will understand when they see your display in December.

jeff

"J",

First keep Austin Weird by using some really bizarre music! Just kidding. Welcome to PC and welcome to the growing number of Texans on here. We Texans get together twice a year to talk, demonstrate, and other wise play with Christmas Lights. Our next get together will be in September in San Antonio (likely Schertz on the NE side actually). See the beginning of our website at www.TexasMiniPLUS.com.

Jeff

I'll do that, thanks. I'm learning a lot here.

p.s. Yeah I think you are right - Carson.
p.s.s. She's holding up a "lost" milk carton with me on it.

I like your avatar. Daisy Red Ryder?

Thanks
-jon

mattyjaco wrote:

Welcome!!

were glad you found us, look around and if you have any questions just ask, thats what everyone is here for!!!

ps. i think you mean carson not mason

pss. whats going on in your avatar?

welcome! If you mean this video, yes that is Carson. This is a great hobby, for young and old (I am 13 myself)
Just remember, don't over do it and overwhelm yourself. Start where you can, and you'll be able to create a great display!
Greg

Hmm... Well, for practice when I get my gear, I think I'll do some Jimmie Dale Gilmore tune in lights. Not very Christmassy, but well, ya know... I live out a ways & it's for my entertainment anyhow.

Thanks for the kind welcome. I was at that other section of the board & saw you were hosting that get-together. That might be a hoot. If not that, I'd like to drive over & see your show at Christmas anyway. Johnson City too, maybe.

Do you know if San Marcos' deal is animated? Festival of lights, I think it's called?

-jon

Jeff_Womack wrote:

"J",

First keep Austin Weird by using some really bizarre music! Just kidding. Welcome to PC and welcome to the growing number of Texans on here. We Texans get together twice a year to talk, demonstrate, and other wise play with Christmas Lights. Our next get together will be in September in San Antonio (likely Schertz on the NE side actually). See the beginning of our website at http://www.TexasMiniPLUS.com.

Jeff

Hell-o and welcome. Jeff has already let you know about the Texas Minis but I just want to say that they are a great bunch of guys and gals in the Texas PC family. They even let me come to their get togathers.

glenn

Thanks, Greg. Yeah, I'll start with 16 channels just to play with and see what I can do with it before I get carried away. (And I DO have a tendency to get carried away at times.) :shock:

No doubt it's a great hobby -- I'm having fun already & I haven't lit a bulb.

[gotta quit using those smilys; they're doing strange things here]

thanks,
-jon

Welcome to the PlanetChristmas chatroom community! Feel free to post any questions you may have. We are a very friendly and helpful group of people and are more than willing to help you along the way.

Yes...the quality of displays here is just amazing. I have found PC to be very helpful and also very addicting.

Thanks, Glenn. Yeah, Texans are usually pretty acommodating of Okies... except at Red River Shootout time.

Lawton sounds like a place I pass on the way to Tulsa. My wife's people are there & we do Thanksgiving there every other year or so.

'ppreciate
-jon

Thanks, Timothy; 'preciate! Yeah, I'll probably have a few questions. Right now, I'm such a noob I don't even know what I don't know. [is there a country tune in there somewhere? OK it ain't up to the caliber of 'if the phone don't ring you'll know it's me' but...]

I see the term PC will no doubt now take on a new, positive meaning for me.

Thanks for your hospitality
-jon

digital analog wrote:

Do you know if San Marcos' deal is animated? Festival of lights, I think it's called?

-jon

Santa's Christmas Ranch is in San Marcos and it was not animated in 2004. I didn't go in 2005 because the guy put the display up in 2003 and left it up ever since fading in the Texas sun. When I went in 2004, I stopped and talked to the guy and told him I could help him animate his display to save a lot of money but he didn't want to hear any of it. To top it off the admission costs keep going up but the faded lights were not getting replaced nor were the burnt out strands. I had a bunch of people see my display after going to that display and many of them said they wished they would have saved the money and just gone to mine. A million plus lights is amzing but it is just a money making effort for him, we on this board have a love for our lights. That's the difference.

Jeff

digital analog wrote:

Yesterday I was playing around at youtube.com, where I saw Mason's [evidently] famous video in a tiny 2-inch window. I WAS ABSOLUTELY BLOWN AWAY BY SUCH INSANITY, and now I am hooked. Since then I have seen a lot of your videos, and I am just amazed at you people.

Welcome to Planet Christmas! There is (apparently) no cure for the addiction but lots of comfort here as Planet Christmas also functions as a support group! :) It's actually Carson who has the infamous video. I don't know if you saw it but his display was eventually used in a Miller Lite commercial on TV. The notoriety of his display has been GREAT for Planet Christmas. A bunch of people have found their way here since seeing it. You are in pretty good company down there in TX. (Just watch out for that Womack guy! Heh heh...)

TED

P.S. As for your sister thinking that someone was in the house flipping switches, some people thought that the video was created on a computer because "no one would really go to all that trouble".

Yeah, seems like I read on snopes or somewhere that some thought the video itself was sequenced together from frames.
Glad the reality is so much more interesting and do-able.
-j