Light-O-Rama Forums

multi-circuit cable

Dr_Aplet

I am sure someone is doing it but want to ask. 

I am tempted to make a special cord with multiple circuits in one cable.  I would like to take a 4-6 conductor cable where one would be ground, one- neutral and the remaining would be the hot side of the circuits. they would break out at each end.  now my question is ultimately can i share neutral and ground across these circuits without adversely affecting the others?  My thinking would be that I would have 1- cable to run up to the roof, one for bushes etc.

A 'Snake'

Rule 1: This should only be done/used for circuits on the same bank.

Rule2 : Neutral must handle 15A (the size of the fuse on the LOR board)  If you turn all ports (in the Bank) ON, it will be the sum of the currents. 💡 You could double up  on the conductors used for neutral. Be sure to wrap or sleeve in white.

'Green (w/yellow stripe) is ground the world around'   Again, clearly mark. I realize lighters mostly us 2 pron plugs, so if yo break out with those, Green only needs to go to Exposed Metal at the breakout.

Plastic boxes and Gland Nuts (they do make glands for flat wire) is a great way to simplify ground requirements

my thoughts were to take a double gang box split the outlets so i have 4 individual circuits.  since the LOR can only handle 15A max per side 5A per channel, i would use 14gauge wire in a bundle and share channel 1-4.  then i only need to pull one cable to the roof of my house.  it may be more expensive and time consuming than just running 4- 18-20 gauge extension cords up there.  I am kicking around the idea still.

16 minutes ago, Dr_Aplet said:

my thoughts were to take a double gang box split the outlets so i have 4 individual circuits.  since the LOR can only handle 15A max per side 5A per channel, i would use 14gauge wire in a bundle and share channel 1-4.  then i only need to pull one cable to the roof of my house.  it may be more expensive and time consuming than just running 4- 18-20 gauge extension cords up there.  I am kicking around the idea still.

3 circuits would be easy-peasy as 5 cond power cord is common (120/208 3 phase. L21 plug)

But it might be even easier to put a controller up there.   https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GNbvb6PCypJm5oxizE3Ff1iLBckuno9m/view?usp=sharing

And LOR just happens to have a 4 port AC controller http://store.lightorama.com/addonctb04pc.html

(I added a second  TV antenna mount to support a piece of closet rod)

I highly recommend making snake/octopus cables whenever you can (even if you just use SPT and zip tie them together).  The amount of time it saves during setup vs running individual cords is priceless.  

• Like 1

It is known as a Shared Neutral and Shared Ground - it is done all the time - and in most Panels the Neutral & Ground are bonded...

17 minutes ago, Jimehc said:

It is known as a Shared Neutral and Shared Ground - it is done all the time - and in most Panels the Neutral & Ground are bonded...

True, but the NEC only allows the bond at the Service entrance panel. ALL OTHER locations must be separated. That cheat is prohibited as a Neutral failure could cause the case to be energized.

• Like 1

When I installed a new sub-panel in my garage and completely re-wired my garage a couple years ago, the only thing the inspector wanted to actually see was that ground and neutral were separate in the sub panel.  On my panel, there was sort of a knife switch (not really, but close enough for this discussion) between ground and neutral.  My electrician friend recommended that I remove that switch as it will never be used and shows that I really do not intend to bond neutral and ground.  The inspector commented that he liked the fact that I removed the "switch".