Light-O-Rama Forums

Icicle lights

Chrisoco

So this is my first year with lor, I put up icicle lights and when I plug them in they don’t come on right away there is a slight delay. If I knew this I wouldn’t of bought them. Obviously this delay will greatly affect my shows, I was thinking about turning those channels on but only at 25% or having them come on just before. Has anyone run into this if so is there a easy fix other than replacing the lights. 

Edited by Chrisoco

Try them and find out what works.  Do these lights have a built in controller that can do some lighting smarts?  If yes, DO NOT USE THEM!

Like k6ccc said: lights with controllers (does any special effect)  should not be used with LOR AC controllers.

If you have a Gem3 (green status LED), you can use HU to set the dimming curve to On/Off.  If you don't, then there is a 99% chance you will do something that will fry the controller (and possibly the rest). Been there: Oops! Oh sh*t, $40 down the tubes.

Even if there are no 'effects', but the module is more than just a simple (fused) plug, those low voltage supplies do NOT like (power) being jerked around. Smoke can escape

No external controller. Im hoping to get everything connected by Saturday. I just have to get the roof lights installed on Saturday. Then I can fire everything up and see what the best way to time those lights 

3 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Like k6ccc said: lights with controllers (does any special effect)  should not be used with LOR AC controllers.

If you have a Gem3 (green status LED), you can use HU to set the dimming curve to On/Off.  If you don't, then there is a 99% chance you will do something that will fry the controller (and possibly the rest). Been there: Oops! Oh sh*t, $40 down the tubes.

Even if there are no 'effects', but the module is more than just a simple (fused) plug, those low voltage supplies do NOT like (power) being jerked around. Smoke can escape

From what I can tell there is the plug and a power supply for the lights. I got my controller new last year at Christmas. Now I’m concerned that these lights might do damage to the controller. How would I tell if I shouldn’t use these lights before hand?

Agreed.  Especially since you really have no way of knowing what is in that power supply box, I would not use them for use on a light controller.

And I would expect that the Lights power module will fail before the LOR (But inrush to start up the lights module might kill the TRIACs in the LOR controller).

Forget those lights or use a simple On/Off timer. You can NOT safely sync those to a show.

2 minutes ago, Chrisoco said:

Like most big box stores, they never give enough details (that are needed by folk like us).

Can you post a picture of the plug and any bulge  on the wires near it?

2 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Like most big box stores, they never give enough details (that are needed by folk like us).

When I get home I will post a pic of the power supply box. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Can you post a picture of the plug and any bulge  on the wires 

59 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

F83A850F-2BC4-46DC-882D-E569C91683EF.jpeg

That is not  good. for anything except to turn it On and off  (not rapidly, 30 Sec+ between changes)  eg turn it on at the start of a sequence. Off at the end.

FWIW I have a US LED Flag with a similar.. The controller near it is a Gen2 (no on/off dimming curve). It plus direct to a timer.

Edited by TheDucks

10 minutes ago, Chrisoco said:

Sounds like I will be taking them down and finding something else to use 

Good plan...