Light-O-Rama Forums

Giving my collection away

jarnhold

I am switching to xlights and I have collected hundreds of free sequences some 16 channels all the way to 128 channels, everything I got was free to everyone, none of it is organized and most have not been used in my displays. There were many good people on here that shared with me so I am giving back to who ever wants it. I would like to upload it to a website but I dont know where I could do that so you can pick and choose, if anyone knows of a place please let me know i am talking a couple gigs worth of data. jarnhold@eaglecom.net if this is against rules or something admin please let me know i just want to move this to other that may want it.

So I'm a bit unsure of the rules as well, but I do have almost a TB of space on my business OneDrive account you can use.

I can send you a link to upload and then post a read link here for those wishing to grab the files. No guarantees how long the share will remain, but probably years.

Another option would be a social media sharing site, but a couple hundred sequences might take a while.

Oh, and thank you for your willingness to give back the community.

Edited by LaughsBrightly

Any destination you link to from the forums can NOT contain music. Any .wav, .mp3, etc., file located on the destination, or files renamed to avoid being called a 'mp3' file, is not allowed.

Also if you compress (zip) the whole sequence folder - the upload/download package is much smaller - as the sequences compress quite a bit.. If you use 7zip (.7z) they are smaller still...

Not to be the party buster here, but I know the sequences that I have received via this forum usually come with the caveat that I will not share with others.  You may want to check with those original providers if they are okay with this.

9 hours ago, hasslerk said:

Not to be the party buster here, but I know the sequences that I have received via this forum usually come with the caveat that I will not share with others.  You may want to check with those original providers if they are okay with this.

Unfortunately the OP may not do what I do when I receive shared sequences from folks, I have a folder called Shared Sequences and then subfolders with the names of folks I have gotten sequences from, example: JRDibble, OldSarge, etc.   That way I know at a glance who I got a specific sequence from, and if I use any part of their sequence in mine, I add their name to that particular sequence.  Then I keep them in a separate folder as well.  That way, I KNOW those particular sequences CAN NOT be shared with anyone without consulting them first.

Not everyone will do that, I do, as that's the only way I'd ever be able to keep up with who has shared a sequence, or sequences, with me from time to time.

So if someone shared it, and they didn't want the 2nd or 3rd party sharing it, about all they can do is request the sequence{s} be removed if found.  And if they don't, then its in the original sequencers ball court to do what's needed to get it removed.

Addendum:  Don't know about the rest of you folks, but when I read the subject title "Giving my collection away", I didn't think "sequences", I thought more along the lines of someone getting out of the hobby, and had decided to just giving all their display items away.  If I were referencing "sequences", that is what I would have had in the subject title {to avoid any confusion}.   But, maybe that's just me?

Edited by Orville
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, hasslerk said:

Not a party buster at all. A VERY good idea, which I'm sure the OP (nor myself) thought about. The ones I've gotten are all in individual folders with a text doc listing any rules about sharing I agreed to, so hopefully OP has a similar method to verify before any improper sharing goes on. Some awesome people take the time to share these sequences and we wouldn't want to offend them. Will wait to see what information @jarnhold can provide on the sharing limitations some of these sequences may be under. 

You may want to ask the original owners permission.

As in everything I have shared I asked only for the word of others they would not share. There are reason for this. 

Just because a sequence was shared with you does not make it yours to share openly as your work. 

Unfortunately many did not keep their word and that’s is why I and our group only share with a very limited number of people.

Threads like this only add to our worries about helping others. We shared full sequences for years as a team.

OP- Yes I have shared with you and NO, you do not have permission to share my files.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

I use to share on this forum, heck even a few 12 & 16 CCR sequences I made. Then someone turned around & tried to sell it. Thankfully they withdrew the sequence. So like others I stopped sharing on here, nevertheless I still help folks on the side lines by teaching them a bit on sequencing, by sharing a few sequences that I created, & even sequencing a song or 2 for them. (I was glad to sequence a song by Kutless called This Is Christmas) Anyhow if you have any of own sequences that you created then yes share your sequences.

7 minutes ago, lightzilla said:

I use to share on this forum, heck even a few 12 & 16 CCR sequences I made. Then someone turned around & tried to sell it. Thankfully they withdrew the sequence. So like others I stopped sharing on here, nevertheless I still help folks on the side lines by teaching them a bit on sequencing, by sharing a few sequences that I created, & even sequencing a song or 2 for them. (I was glad to sequence a song by Kutless called This Is Christmas) Anyhow if you have any of own sequences that you created then yes share your sequences.

This why I have always been leary of anyone wanting a ton of sequences especially if while looking at their profile all they post is requests. Even people I trusted and considered friends and a couple like family broke my trust by sharing on FB groups and cloud drives.

There is a small circle of us sharers and word gets out quick. Faithful friends will always alert me.

Like you, I still help those that sincerely ask however sincerely has taken a new definition.

JR

9 hours ago, dibblejr said:

This why I have always been leary of anyone wanting a ton of sequences especially if while looking at their profile all they post is requests. Even people I trusted and considered friends and a couple like family broke my trust by sharing on FB groups and cloud drives.

There is a small circle of us sharers and word gets out quick. Faithful friends will always alert me.

Like you, I still help those that sincerely ask however sincerely has taken a new definition.

JR

And this is also the reason we don't share full sequences any longer, only small parts of one, if that, depending on the criteria being required.

If I create the LOR Singing Tree faces myself {NOT someone else's work}, I may/may not share it, again, only if I created it. 

Sometimes if I create an effect that I don't consider all that important, like the police floodlight strobe effect or candle flicker effects I made, I'll usually share something like that openly, as anyone with a little practice could duplicate such an effect.  But that is the only part of the full sequence I'd share of it.  Special effect items like candle flickers, and the police strobe effect I created, again those type of effects I'll share.  I just don't share full sequences any longer, just like many others are now doing on this site.

• The topic was locked