Light-O-Rama Forums

Behind the scenes.

TheDucks

Shows look fantastic, but how was it BUILT (as opposed to sequenced) out??

Could we have some daylight, backstage tours of what  you did to get it set up (and tips for really tricky stuff) ?

I'm thinkin mostly props or other than basic cable  (eg jump high traffic paths)

My website has a lot of photos and descriptions of how I built stuff.  A lot of it is a bit out of date, but maybe I can get some new photos this year...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

My website has a lot of photos and descriptions of how I built stuff.  A lot of it is a bit out of date, but maybe I can get some new photos this year...

I've seen yours 👍.  I'm curious how others do things (specially renters who can't build posts with controllers in them).

Ever place offers challenge, Like how do those wit multiple stories get the stuff up there

3 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Ever place offers challenge, Like how do those wit multiple stories get the stuff up there

Long ladders with shaky knees, I hate the peaks of our roof. And I don't look down once I work the nerve to get up there. LOL I'm so tense when I'm up there that my back aches the next day....

7 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

I'm curious how others do things (specially renters who can't build posts with controllers in them).

True enough.  Most renters can't build brick columns with controllers and put in a quarter mile of conduit under the front lawn!

• 4 weeks later...

When I was renting, the boxes lived in gray bins that got set on the lawn near the lights they controlled.   Not noticeable at night and kept everything tidy and waterproof.   Also made for an easy place to coil up and store the extension cords to the box and the power cords leading from it.   My Mega Tree (still all LED strands) is still stored this way.   

As for my current setup, mostly everything is contained on the porch and out of the walkway, save for power cables that are run across the porch in commercial cable floor covers. 

20 minutes ago, jfuller8400 said:

Here's links to some behind-the-scenes videos I did a couple of years ago along with an update I did in 2020:

2019 Holiday Light Show - Behind the Scenes Tour Part 1 - YouTube

2019 Holiday Light Show - Behind the Scenes Tour Part 2 - YouTube

I like your 'Bucket' Flood mounts. I happen to know a House Painter, so that is a real cheap source (and I don't care about a residue inside)