Light-O-Rama Forums

Motion effect for LED

Lightnewbie

49 minutes ago, Lightnewbie said:

Will motion effects work for LED light or Pixels only? Will a chase effect work on LEDs? 

Why not? A chase, is just a sequence. As long as the respond to control, they are fine.

OTOH you can't use those on Gas Discharge (Mercury Vapor, Fluorescent...) as they take to long to strike. (AND they can't be on a Dimming port  😛 )

9 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Why not? A chase, is just a sequence. As long as the respond to control, they are fine.

OTOH you can't use those on Gas Discharge (Mercury Vapor, Fluorescent...) as they take to long to strike. (AND they can't be on a Dimming port  😛 )

Great! Next question, is the chase motion effect only available on Pro? 

2 minutes ago, Lightnewbie said:

Great! Next question, is the chase motion effect only available on Pro? 

In order to use ME you must have a Pro license

JR

38 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

In order to use ME you must have a Pro license

JR

That’s where I was confused. The chase option is available without pro. But, you have to have motion effects to make the “Leaping Arch” effect. Which is the chase effect I’m looking for. So maybe back to my original question, can LED lights to the “leaping” effect? 

Absolutely.  People have been doing leaping arches years before anyone ever thought of "Motion Effects".  Essentially it's just a chase.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lightnewbie said:

But, you have to have motion effects to make the “Leaping Arch” effect. Which is the chase effect I’m looking for. So maybe back to my original question, can LED lights to the “leaping” effect? 

Not exactly, Motion Effects are mainly for Pixels. You can still do leaping arches with A/C controllers and LED/Incan lights, it will look like a "V" in the SE when done correctly.

16 minutes ago, TheSignGuy said:

Not exactly, Motion Effects are mainly for Pixels. You can still do leaping arches with A/C controllers and LED/Incan lights, it will look like a "V" in the SE when done correctly.

But the “V” effect seems like I’m “chasing” channels instead of turning individual LED bulbs on a single channel. That’s what I’m looking for. I want to turn individual LED bulbs on a strand on 1 channel like a “leaping arch” effect. Is that possible? 

27 minutes ago, Lightnewbie said:

But the “V” effect seems like I’m “chasing” channels instead of turning individual LED bulbs on a single channel. That’s what I’m looking for. I want to turn individual LED bulbs on a strand on 1 channel like a “leaping arch” effect. Is that possible? 

Maybe I need to ask.  Describe the lighting construction of your arch.  Dumb RGB / smart RGB / traditional LED string - and how many of each?

• Like 1

I am using “leaping arch” as example because it describes the effect I am looking for. I am asking if I can apply that effect on a single strand of LED bulbs on a roof. Can I have the bulbs on a single strand “chase” like a leaping arch effect. Or is that only possible using Pixels and motion effects? 

As I understand it, you are asking if you can have individual lights on a traditional light string behave differently.  Impossible.  There is only one channel and the entire string does the same thing.  To get individual bulbs to be separately controlled, you have to be using smart pixels.  That can be sequenced in Sequencer - does NOT require Motion Effects.

Just now, k6ccc said:

As I understand it, you are asking if you can have individual lights on a traditional light string behave differently.  Impossible.  There is only one channel and the entire string does the same thing.  To get individual bulbs to be separately controlled, you have to be using smart pixels.  That can be sequenced in Sequencer - does NOT require Motion Effects.

Ok cool. That’s what I figured. Thanks everyone

Only 'smart' bulbs or Multiple 'dumb' ports can chase. you are turning things on and off.

Old AC arches used many strings, each using a channel on the controller.

1, 2, 3, 4...  they appeared to leap

In Smart the channels are Bulbs, not strings. So you can get 1 bulb resolution instead of string resolution.

21 minutes ago, Lightnewbie said:

Ok cool. That’s what I figured. Thanks everyone

To make leaping arches and this has been a debate throughout the years you would build 7 or 8 segments. I liked 8 because it divided 1 16 channel controller in half. Each segment per arch would get one channel (per color). Multiple colors means more controllers. 

I gave up my arches for circles and never looked back.

JR

3 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Only 'smart' bulbs or Multiple 'dumb' ports can chase. you are turning things on and off.

Old AC arches used many strings, each using a channel on the controller.

1, 2, 3, 4...  they appeared to leap

In Smart the channels are Bulbs, not strings. So you can get 1 bulb resolution instead of string resolution.

NM LOL

JR

Edited by dibblejr

• The topic was locked