Light-O-Rama Forums

inside house LEDS flickering with music

Hugh Messer

If you do have that problem, call an electrician - you have electrical problems.  An open or high resistance neutral is a likely possibility (but not the only one).

I had that problem before I switched to LEDs. Turns out that the outside outlet I was using is tied into the same circuit (on a GFCI) that the bathrooms are tied too. I couldn't figure out why the lights in the bathroom were dimming. Not a lot, but enough to notice. Then one night I was looking out the window and noticed that every time everything lit up, the lights dimmed. So I switched to LEDs and now that I've gone to LOR, I had a subpanel with 4 additional outlets installed and I only put my static displays on that original outlet. Just every once in a while, if it rains a LOT, the GFCI trips and the bathroom lights go out. Haven't had any dimming issues in a couple of years now.

Depending on the Load (watts of lights), you may have bad connections between the lights and the power source (panel).

If you see this with lowish watts (300-500) you have BAD problems.  If you are pushing 1200, some change is expected.

Old Push In wiring oxidizes over time.   Replace them with Backwire (the screw clamps) or side wire.

You might also have a wire nut connection going bad.

Beware of Zinsco breakers . I've had the literally crumble taking them out of the panel (plastic turned brown from heat )

12 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Beware of Zinsco breakers . I've had the literally crumble taking them out of the panel (plastic turned brown from heat )

Me too.  I'm very happy that I replaced my old Zinsco main panel a few years ago.  New Siemen's panel has 40 positions so I have LOTS of room for future if needed.

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

Depending on the Load (watts of lights), you may have bad connections between the lights and the power source (panel).

If you see this with lowish watts (300-500) you have BAD problems.  If you are pushing 1200, some change is expected.

Old Push In wiring oxidizes over time.   Replace them with Backwire (the screw clamps) or side wire.

You might also have a wire nut connection going bad.

My late Mother-in-Law, her house had a Zinsco electrical panel installed in it, also using Zinsco breakers, and she got some kind of notice those panels and breakers were prone to catch fire and burn homes down!  She had it, and them all replaced immediately!    And I guess they were lucky, since that panel had been in use in their home for many years prior to hearing about that issue.  Fortunately, they never had any issues with them, but after that warning notice to remove and replace, they did so immediately after receiving that warning notice and recommendation to remove and replace it.