Light-O-Rama Forums

Moving to S5 harder than I expected

bbig

I've spent most of the morning trying to figure this out by reading old posts and watching the tutorials and I'm still confused.

I created a new matrix prop using the custom feature.  I updated the network and controller IDs and everything looks correct.  When it was added to the preview, the entire matrix shows up as 1 line on the sequencer.  The prop is broken down into 21 columns and 33 rows.  

Is there another step I need to complete like adding effects rows?  To use the entire matrix would I add 33 effects rows like the actual matrix?

What's confusing me is that, on my pixel trees, each string shows up as a separate line.l and I can manually adjust colors etc.  Is that just because it was created in S4?

Standard advise.  DO NOT SWITCH TO S5 this time of the year!  There is quite a learning curve to S5 when you are coming from an earlier version.  Use what you are familiar with this year.  Move to S5 in January so you have most of the year to learn the differences.

I started the move to S5 last January and have migrated everything over which seems to be working fine.  This is the first time adding a matrix however.  Adding other props hasn't been an issue like the pixel trees etc.  I must be making a rookie mistake while creating these.  The other computer running S4 is ready to go in the event I run into a roadblock.

2 hours ago, bbig said:

I started the move to S5 last January and have migrated everything over which seems to be working fine.  This is the first time adding a matrix however.  Adding other props hasn't been an issue like the pixel trees etc.  I must be making a rookie mistake while creating these.  The other computer running S4 is ready to go in the event I run into a roadblock.

When building a matrix in S5 in Preview design use the Matrix Horizontal Quad 

On the screen you will define the number of pixels per row and number of rows.

You do not need to build a custom prop. It’s in the create prop using existing props - the top selection

You can add channel level rows 

If you have SS and SUP file you can add a ME row and go in and select “Add Superstar Effect”

When you add channel level rows you will have to put them in the proper order or you matrix will look all garbled up.

Best to sort and then create groups for your individual rows

JR 

Edited by dibblejr

The reason I used custom is because the layout of my pixels is a little squirrely.  Each string takes up 1 1/2 columns.  And I couldn't figure out how to make on like that using the existing props. The strings are installed as shown in the photo with each color being a separate string.

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

330785927_20211106_140718(2).thumb.jpg.cbb1e433183fc3b4dbee33298c307fee.jpg

I'm using a pixie 16 and this is a matrix that is 21 x 33.  I have these setup on their own network that is dlset to 500 enhanced.  

I think I have a fundamental misunderstanding on how S5 works vs S4.  For instance, I added another pixel tree using the pre designed prop.  As with the matrix, the prop shows up as a single line in sequencer while the previous pixel trees show all of the channels. 

Right click on the prop and select "Enable Channel level on pixel prop"

I don't think I want to do that on my P5 matrix - 12,288 pixels.  Just for grins, I tried it on a sequence and 5.6.6 happily expanded my P5 matrix to 12,288 rows (last on is r64 c192).

29 minutes ago, bbig said:

I'm using a pixie 16 and this is a matrix that is 21 x 33.  I have these setup on their own network that is dlset to 500 enhanced.  

I think I have a fundamental misunderstanding on how S5 works vs S4.  For instance, I added another pixel tree using the pre designed prop.  As with the matrix, the prop shows up as a single line in sequencer while the previous pixel trees show all of the channels. 

You are seeing is the ME row, On the initial setup screen you probably have it default to "add 1 Motion Effect Row to props without ME Rows"

JR