Light-O-Rama Forums

Considering going dark this year

ebrown1972

I am heavily considering skipping this years display. I have done a Christmas light show for the last 9 years and for whatever reason I am having a hard time finding the motivation to have one this year. Actually I have felt this way the last couple of years. I had purchased many many more strobe lights for my show and two 8 foot Boscoyo flakes along with 2 wireframes from Wireframe D'lites. I have all of my controllers set up and ready to go. I'm not sure what to do for this year. 

For those of you who have taken a break from your displays, were you glad you did so? Any regrets? Thank you all in advance for answering.

Eric

I’m on a forced break this year and for Halloween it actually wasn’t very difficult and I was able to get to see some local static displays so I do not regret it.

Did I miss it , yes but it will make missing Christmas easier.

I will have my Light O Rama singers out for Christmas due to a little boy that loves them and has terminal cancer. He’s been coming to the show for 5 years and cried when I posted on our FB page I wasn’t having a show.

Sometimes yoi have to do what’s best for you.

JR

• Like 1

I have never stopped and this will be my 12th year running a show. I have thought about it but then I realize how many people, especially children, would be disappointed. This is my gift to my friends and neighbors and I just couldn't let them down during the Holidays as they are always asking about it.

I ordered a pizza last night for delivery and when the driver showed they told me they saw my address come across and grabbed the order just so they could come by. When they arrived they started asking me about this years show so I know there are many out there looking forward to it.

• Like 1

My answers to this is YES and YES. 

were you glad you did so? ) Yes. I needed to. I was getting more and more frustrating each year for this reason, Finances. You see, I am on a disability fixed income with a family of five, and have been running the same show for a few years now. I mean, yes I change the music but the display is the same. All of my props are made by hand with the exception of my inflatables ( which I have patched so many times now, might as well say I made them, lol ) The last thing I added to my show was a couple Cmb24d controllers ( 3 actually ) and dumb RGB strips 2 years back but after the show I soon had to sell them, well finances again. And now with things being the way they are with inflation, I just simply cant afford to pay attention let alone add new to the show. And when I received comments after last Christmas show to the tune of ( Didn't you do that one last year ) I knew it was time for lights out. Probably one of the hardest decisions I had to make besides not telling my wife when I bought the CMB controllers, lol. but still a decision I would make again. It was not hard to cope with up until the 4th of july, I did a 4th and a Halloween show also every year. Which brings me to your next question.

( Any regrets? ) YES.  When the 4th came up I had a lot of people asking if I were going to do my show this year being that they didn't see me setting up for it. I found out at this time that I am referred to as the Christmas light guy, lol. At least this is what the kids were calling me. This is my regret, having to tell these kids that I was not doing a show this year. Their faces were killer, I didn't realize how much these kids liked my shows, as small and repetitive as they were. They didnt care. It had dancing lights and singing faces and they loved it. These kids would beg their parents, " We want to go to the Christmas light guys house " and these people would drive clear across town just to come here. Really? To my show? 

So now my reason for lights out, Finances in order to change or add to my show because it was old and out dated and felt that no one enjoyed it anymore just got squashed by three young kids this past Halloween, Everyone knows by now that I am no longer running my shows but these three awesome kids brought a bag of treats to my house and one said that they felt that I needed a treat this year. I didnt know what to say or do, I just sat down. Thanked them and they went on there way. 

So Was I glad to do so, YES. My family finances will always come first.

Regrets, Yes. It was very hard to see the looks on their faces when I told them I was not going to do a show. 

I asked santa for a CCR tree, if I am able, and get this I will most likely fire the show back up next year but this is only a dream. I would love to see their faces smiling again, after all, is this not why we do these shows anyways. HA, Maybe LOR will do a scratch and dent sale for us por folk eh? 

The thought has crossed my mind a few times, but never last long.  After last year when I largely could not go out and talk to people watching the show (and could not at all after I got Covid two weeks into the show), I'm really looking forward to this year being at least semi normal.  Obviously it wont be completely normal, but should be far better than last year.

Hi Eric i took last year off because of Covid  and it sure was easy with nothing to do ,I considered stopping shows for good. Once you skip a year it would be easy just to quit but i'm going all out this year missed all the people stopping so shows going  on again this year, take a break if you need it.

• Like 1

I have thought about stopping for other reasons but when it gets close our friends, neighbors, wife's patients start asking if I have started working on the Christmas show, I am really humbled by the number of people who look forward and come by every year to see our street. I really like doing the display, and the people who comment every year make it worth every bit of work. I am very lucky that I have a good friend and neighbor to help, and my son has volunteered to put in extra days helping this year. My mailman even stopped by Friday while delivering mail to see if he could help Sunday when he is off.

He and friends know my display will be smaller because of health issues but I want to keep doing the display, just may not be able to do as much as we have in the past.

I feel very blessed to be able to help and make the impact we are, I will keep doing the display as long as I can.

Eric I hope you find the motivation to do your display, I bet you will regret if you don't.

Keith

I have considered many times going dark due to health issues, every year people always ask when are you doing your display especially kids , i just can't disappointment them it gives me the energy i need to continue on.

I know EXACTLY how Mr Grunts feels, I'm in the same situation, fortunately my finances are not where I'd like them to be, but because of idiotic rules on how much you're allowed at any given time to have in your bank account does put a huge damper on saving money for anything!  Thankfully those couple of stimulus checks we got managed to get me a few things for my display, and I've been seriously thinking of not doing a display this year, just some static  lights r maybe some RGB lights as a simple animation.  

But, like others, it's really hard NOT to do a display when you have the neighbors and their children asking, how come you haven't started putting up the Christmas Lights yet?   So, looks like I may be pulling out everything and just run the show I did last year, which wasn't as good as I'd have liked, but like others health and finances, do put a damper on what you can accomplish. 

Becoming a prehistoric old-fart is hell at times!😅   But, I try to persevere and continue on with the show, and even though I really don't feel up to it this year, my wife still wants me to do something.  And I know once I get rolling along, no matter what, I'll keep going until I get everything out and running.🤣

Sometimes I'm just too damn stubborn for my own good!😮😂

I'm dark this year from a multitude of reasons. One of which, we'll be moving but not sure where too yet. Legal issues here which are now behind me, left a bad taste and we no longer feel like this is home. So, we'll pack up, sell and move on. The show will live on, just somewhere else. 

Thanks everyone for all your replies.

After I posted this question, I scrolled through Facebook and someone was looking at visiting my area during the Christmas season and wanted to know if anyone did a display they could visit. Several people posted that I have a display and that it's a nice display to see (the only one in my town). People have come to expect my display to be up and running during the holidays. I've had some that tell me it's a Christmas tradition for them. After reading the posts, I started hanging my lights again. I got the outline of my house done and all cables and controllers connected that run the outline which is the hardest part of installing the display. Over the next few weeks I will get the yard items out.

So, I will be having a display this year. I have not sequenced much so will probably be about the same as last year but I doubt anyone will notice. It's hard for me not to do a display even when my motivation is shot due to the people in my community wanting and expecting to see it and the fact that I absolutely love Christmas!

Eric and Orville, good on you, very happy to hear you are going to display this year, I am sure you will be happy you did.

Godney, you are one of the best, you have overcome more health issues than you can shake a stick at and good on you too for persevering.

I feel inspired by you all, and Thank You for that, I have to get out and get to work now that 2 days of rain has gone.

Keith

I went dark at my house in 2019 after I sold everything at the end of 2018, most of the items was sold to a local guy south of town and he ask if I would help him put up a display and I did.  Then as fate would have it he called me and ask if I would help him sell his display that we just did because they were moving and could't take it with them. After thinking about things for about a week I bought most things back and put up a small display for 2020. Now this year has not been to kind to me health wise and with the passing of my wife Pat I decided to do the best I could for a display because she would have wanted it that way.. Right now waiting for help to climb the ladder to put some lights on the eves of the house, I think I will make my normal lights on date of Thanksgiving night.

Sorry about losing your wife Earle.  However you are likely right that she would have wanted you to do it.  Setting up and running the display is also a great way to give your mind a break from the sorrow of your loss.  Good for your emotional well being.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EARLE W. TALLEY said:

I went dark at my house in 2019 after I sold everything at the end of 2018, most of the items was sold to a local guy south of town and he ask if I would help him put up a display and I did.  Then as fate would have it he called me and ask if I would help him sell his display that we just did because they were moving and could't take it with them. After thinking about things for about a week I bought most things back and put up a small display for 2020. Now this year has not been to kind to me health wise and with the passing of my wife Pat I decided to do the best I could for a display because she would have wanted it that way.. Right now waiting for help to climb the ladder to put some lights on the eves of the house, I think I will make my normal lights on date of Thanksgiving night.

Sorry to hear of your wife's passing Earl.  We've lost a lot of really great friends over the last couple of years.  So I look at it this way, those, like your wife will now have the best viewing spot over anyone, they'll get the best aerial view from Heaven than anyone could ever imagine!  So your wife will be looking down at the display she enjoyed so much when with you here on this Earth, and now, she'll have the most breathtaking view of your display you just can't imagine.   Best of luck with your display and my condolences on your loss.

Edited by Orville

8 hours ago, Kapkirk said:

Eric and Orville, good on you, very happy to hear you are going to display this year, I am sure you will be happy you did.

Godney, you are one of the best, you have overcome more health issues than you can shake a stick at and good on you too for persevering.

I feel inspired by you all, and Thank You for that, I have to get out and get to work now that 2 days of rain has gone.

Keith

If you only knew how many health issues I have presently, especially with my vision, legally blind and has gotten a bit worse, as well as close to being deaf, both of which would usually hamper most people and would probably stop doing a display.  My neighbors and a lot of my friends always ask me, with your vision and hearing issues, how the hell do you pull those musical light show displays off?  I can't believe you did that. LOL  

Like said, I'm just too damn stubborn for my own good at times, and just keep plugging away at it, even if it takes me 3 times longer to accomplish what a normal person without any health issues does.

Edited by Orville

• The topic was locked