Light-O-Rama Forums

The hidden costs of our hobby..

Sctiger

I needed more 2" HDPE tubing for 2 more pillars. One of the things people dislike about it is the high cost of shipping. I paid $52 for 25 ft of the tubing. It would have been $76 shipping. I don't like to brag but I'm pretty sure I beat the system.

I decided to drive 2.5 hrs to the Atlanta McMaster Carr. Then my wife got involved and we somehow ended up at the outlet mall with an overnight trip. So...$76 for shipping or...

$150 hotel stay + outlet mall haul (yikes!)     + overpriced Cheesecake Factory meal. + demoralizing Container Store visit  ($100) + gas averaging around $3.15 a gallon.         _____________________________________________

= I think it's pretty clear I came out ahead

Follow me for more money saving tips 🙄

Edited by Sctiger
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is not a hobby for those on a tight budget.

Every year I set aside an pile of money to do something. Because I know I will want to. I have learned to watch for the sales times to get most of the expensive hardware. 

I try now to start thinking ahead. Get planning in October. However, it seems each year I am chasing some costs I had not thought of. Home Depot here I come is a daily mantra. 

The other thing is, as good as I think I am at cleaning up and putting things away, I have yet to remember to create an open me first box to start out each year. Things like mounting clips, etc, zip ties., go missing, I buy more and by the time I get to the final crate of stuff to pull out - bam there is the stuff I am missin.

1 minute ago, jphauck said:

This is not a hobby for those on a tight budget.

A true statement!

1 minute ago, jphauck said:

Home Depot here I come is a daily mantra. 

I'm sure I will be there multiple times this weekend!

2 hours ago, jphauck said:

The other thing is, as good as I think I am at cleaning up and putting things away, I have yet to remember to create an open me first box to start out each year. Things like mounting clips, etc, zip ties., go missing, I buy more and by the time I get to the final crate of stuff to pull out - bam there is the stuff I am missin.

This is why I keep all that stuff in the plastic laundry baskets. It lets you see what in there so you don't always have to dig to the bottom. And yea, end of season sale where the roof clips are .25 a box, for the life of me I can't control myself NOT to buy 10 of em, just in case.... 🙄  😁

4 hours ago, jphauck said:

Get planning in October.

Way too late to be planning. Your planning should start in January right after the season ends as most of the Holiday pre-sales are January -April.

13 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Way too late to be planning. Your planning should start in January right after the season ends as most of the Holiday pre-sales are January -April.

Exactly. And just as fast (and early) as the Christmas stuff goes up in the Big Box stores, it comes down right after Christmas. (I'm talking to you Walmart and HD! I was in Walmart two weeks ago for some last minutes Halloween stuff and picked up a couple of single color LED net lights and an animated deer, you know, just in case.) You have to be quick to get the after Christmas sale stuff anymore.

12 minutes ago, tlogan said:

Exactly. And just as fast (and early) as the Christmas stuff goes up in the Big Box stores, it comes down right after Christmas. (I'm talking to you Walmart and HD! I was in Walmart two weeks ago for some last minutes Halloween stuff and picked up a couple of single color LED net lights and an animated deer, you know, just in case.) You have to be quick to get the after Christmas sale stuff anymore.

Boy, you have a slow Walmart. The 2 near me were OUT of lights almost as fast as they put stocked the shelves (stock cam in in batches).  I bought some, and went back 2 days later. Nada(and many empty trays for stuff that was not there the first time. This was 2 sizable stores)

3 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Boy, you have a slow Walmart. The 2 near me were OUT of lights almost as fast as they put stocked the shelves (stock cam in in batches).  I bought some, and went back 2 days later. Nada(and many empty trays for stuff that was not there the first time. This was 2 sizable stores)

Well, they actually STARTED putting Christmas stuff out the beginning of October when I first went for some Halloween stuff. It looked like they had dragged out whatever was left over from last year. Then when I went back two weeks ago, it looked like it had just ALL been put out. I need to start setting up earlier this year than normal, so maybe I'll swing by this weekend just to see what's still left!

• The topic was locked