Light-O-Rama Forums

converting older sequences

ekul73

Hello I am new to LOR as I just got my first controller and software. I was able to buy a LOR sequence for Christmas and the music and get to play. I have found multiple places with older sequences and was looking for any help as to how I can get them to work with then new Software. I will be adding a second controller when I can afford it but was looking to put a little something together for Halloween this weekend. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I should mention that I downloaded some free sequences but getting a mess. that they can't be used and that the total time is not found. Thank you for any and all help.

The total time issue is because NO Sequence comes with the MP3, YOU must locate and find the same EXACT song/MP3 used for any sequence you download.  Without it, they won't work anyway, and if you have a sequence that is 2:30 {2min/30secs}, and you download an MP3 that may have the same name, but is only 1:45 {1min/45secs}, that's not going to work either, things will become messy real fast.

Everything must line up perfectly to work, or you get a jumble of a mess when they don't.

I'll let others chime in here on some of the other issues that may crop up, as I know there are quite a few things that gone go awry when converting sequences or downloading them, and expecting them to work, an animation doesn't need an audio file, but musical sequences require one, and they need the same one the original sequencer used to create the sequence.  Otherwise you'll have a lot of clean-up work to do on any shared sequence you may download and not have or know the exact song used or where to get it, so the song and sequence mate up perfectly.

Good Luck.

For the most part, either open the old sequence and assign it to your S5 Halloween preview.  That may or may not work cleanly depending on channel assignment differences.  The other way is to copy the data in Sequencer from the shared sequence to your new sequence.  And as Orville pointed out, you have to find the EXACT same audio file.

Thank you both for you help. I will see what I can figure out with your guidance and hopefully get something to work. The downloads I found are very old but said they have the music and of course the put a disclaimer that I need to buy the music. 

Not sure what I did but I now have a sequence that I got into the editor but I am unable to save it so I can use it. Every time I save and go back into the file it is still in edit mode instead of where I can use the file. 

Edited by ekul73

16 hours ago, k6ccc said:

For the most part, either open the old sequence and assign it to your S5 Halloween preview.  That may or may not work cleanly depending on channel assignment differences.  The other way is to copy the data in Sequencer from the shared sequence to your new sequence.  And as Orville pointed out, you have to find the EXACT same audio file.

On converting an S4 sequence to S5, I have a question for you Jim, hope you have the answer, as I may need to do some major revamping of all my S4 sequences.

All my S4 sequences are in tracks {8 tracks to be exact, which is kind of amusing, since that reminds me of those old 8-Track Audio tapes}, so should I convert all my S4 sequences into just an all channel configuration before I start trying to import them into S5?   Since I'm pretty sure S5 has done away with tracks, at least I haven't found them.  So I'm now wondering if this is why the few S4 sequences I tried importing didn't work in S5?  Just wondering if an older sequence used tracks, if this could be an issue when importing to S5?🤔

Edited by Orville

I think I was using something like 23 tracks in my last year of S4.  The tracks will import just fine.  If I remember right (it's been a few years), each track becomes a separate View in S5.

Thanks, Jim and Phil.  Well at least I can rule that out as being part of the issue of my imported sequences not working.  At least this one, I can cross off my list of "what am I doing wrong in S5 that my sequences don't work." LOL

• The topic was locked