Light-O-Rama Forums

Advice on expansion of light show

Brettlws

9 minutes ago, Brettlws said:

Okay so bare with me, If I use my original controllers in their orginal spots and then come out of the last contoller which is controller #4 and run CAT 5 to a new controller set to be controller #1 will it work as another contoller #1 and do the same things that the original controller #1 is doing?

Yes. Any order. Controllers do not know about any other controller, other than they ignore packets not with their ID. They Listen (think  'old fashioned Party line' )

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Yes. Any order. Controllers do not know about any other controller, other than they ignore packets not with their ID. They Listen (think  'old fashioned Party line' )

Okay, last question for now, what is the maximum distance that I can run CAT 5 from controller to controller?

7 minutes ago, Brettlws said:

Okay, last question for now, what is the maximum distance that I can run CAT 5 from controller to controller?

Phils answer is the Total Length from USB dongle to the Last in the chain.

If you really need that long, I would suggest the the Last be terminated (RS485 spec) in 120 Ohms. (New Pixies have a Jumper, otherwise you make your own with a RJ45 plug: resister goes across 4-5  or Blu Pair)