Light-O-Rama Forums

18x24 matrix panel.

nortonz

I bought a 18x24 matrix panel from Holliday lights, then I bought 4 100node pixel strings from Ray Woo, now I’m trying to figure out the best way to Mount lights on it. If I use the 100 node strings, I still have 32 spaces left.  Lor doesn’t give me and option to add a 50 node string. If I use 9 50 node strings, i will have 12 nodes lest, i know I can null the 12 nodes at the end., so what is the best way to handle this?

Well, you really need to fill the holes.  What are you planning on using to drive these pixels?  That will help determine how you wire it.

7 hours ago, nortonz said:

I bought a 18x24 matrix panel from Holliday lights, then I bought 4 100node pixel strings from Ray Woo, now I’m trying to figure out the best way to Mount lights on it. If I use the 100 node strings, I still have 32 spaces left.  Lor doesn’t give me and option to add a 50 node string. If I use 9 50 node strings, i will have 12 nodes lest, i know I can null the 12 nodes at the end., so what is the best way to handle this?

If I wanted to fill every hole, what I'd do is have an extra strand and cut it down to 32 nodes and save the leftover nodes for splicing into any node that may go out or lose a color.  Problem solved with filling the holes and having replacement nodes to boot.   I have cut down strands to as low as 10 pixels, although I use all smart pixels, I can't say anything about dumb pixels as I haven't used any, but I'd think they could be cut down the same way.

15 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Well, you really need to fill the holes.  What are you planning on using to drive these pixels?  That will help determine how you wire it.

I ordered a Pix8 to run the matrix so I can use 5 channels.

10 hours ago, Orville said:

If I wanted to fill every hole, what I'd do is have an extra strand and cut it down to 32 nodes and save the leftover nodes for splicing into any node that may go out or lose a color.  Problem solved with filling the holes and having replacement nodes to boot.   I have cut down strands to as low as 10 pixels, although I use all smart pixels, I can't say anything about dumb pixels as I haven't used any, but I'd think they could be cut down the same way.

So would it be better to use 50node strings then?  I can save the 100node string for something else.

You are right that the pre-built shapes don't handle strings of different lengths.  Since you have a Pixie 8. here is what i would do.  I would use six strings of 72 pixels with each string taking care of four of the 18 pixel rows.  I have attached a prop file.  You may need to re-arrange it for orientation.

One important note about pixel strings, you don't want to mix different batches of pixels in a single prop - they often will look slightly different.  Since you have a stock of 50 pixel strings and 100 pixel strings,  If it were me, I would start with five 100 pixel strings, and cut four of them down to 72 pixels.  Then solder a few of the remnants together to make the sixth 72 pixel string.  That will leave you 68 left over pixels in several pieces.  Put them into a bag and mark that bag as spares for the matrix.  That way, you will have spare pixels for when you need them (you will eventually).

18 x 24 matrix.lpeprop

6 hours ago, k6ccc said:

You are right that the pre-built shapes don't handle strings of different lengths.  Since you have a Pixie 8. here is what i would do.  I would use six strings of 72 pixels with each string taking care of four of the 18 pixel rows.  I have attached a prop file.  You may need to re-arrange it for orientation.

One important note about pixel strings, you don't want to mix different batches of pixels in a single prop - they often will look slightly different.  Since you have a stock of 50 pixel strings and 100 pixel strings,  If it were me, I would start with five 100 pixel strings, and cut four of them down to 72 pixels.  Then solder a few of the remnants together to make the sixth 72 pixel string.  That will leave you 68 left over pixels in several pieces.  Put them into a bag and mark that bag as spares for the matrix.  That way, you will have spare pixels for when you need them (you will eventually).

18 x 24 matrix.lpeprop 865 B · 1 download

You're the man, Jim.  I'll keep note of your suggestions, just in case I ever opt to do a pixel matrix.  I did think about one for a while, but figuring out hole spacing and placement, I gave up on trying to design one of my own.  And you're definitely better at the pixel math than I am. LOL     So if I ever do add a matrix, it'll have to be a pre-drilled and a pre-built one, except for the nodes that'll go in it.  

Edited by Orville