Light-O-Rama Forums

Mini tree plus star

nortonz

I added 8 mini trees, and want to add a star to the to of each one. I thought I could take the 20 nodes for the star. The mini trees will have 150 node, so if I take the last 20 node, that leaves 130 for the tree.  What I did was added 2 effects channels, the first one for the tree, used custom, and selected the first 130 nodes. The second effects channel was fore the star, again I selected custom, and selected the last 20 nodes had the star start at node 131
I thought this would work, but the effects channel for the star doesn’t now it’s a star. So I created another prop for the star. Had it use the same channel as the tree. Created a effects channel, made it custom, and selected the last 20 nodes. It still didn’t work.

what do I need to do to get this to work, or do I need to just buy another pixie8 and put the stars on the new controller.

Here you go.  Here is a preview with one 130 pixel tree and a 20 pixel star on top.  The tree and star are separate props, but the tree and then star are on one physical string of pixels.  You will of course need to change Unit ID and copy for your other trees.

Mini Tree and star.lorprev

3 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Here you go.  Here is a preview with one 130 pixel tree and a 20 pixel star on top.  The tree and star are separate props, but the tree and then star are on one physical string of pixels.  You will of course need to change Unit ID and copy for your other trees.

Mini Tree and star.lorprev 1.5 kB · 6 downloads

Jim- do you mind sending me the pro file? You have my email.

Nextbyear I am going to change my

mini trees from 360 nodes to a 180 or maybe a little more for the sides

The back is a little over kill for my.

Thanks

JR

14 minutes ago, nortonz said:

Ok, I got it, but I have to ask, is there no effects added to the 2 props?

It’s just the proP file.

you have to Add it to your preview and then Sequence it is get it to light

JR

3 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Jim- do you mind sending me the pro file? You have my email.

It's on my computer at work, but you should be able to download the preview from my post above, open it in Preview Editor and export the two props very easily (obviously in S5).  If not, I should be able to send them when I'm next in the office on Tuesday.

3 hours ago, nortonz said:

Ok, I got it

Note that you should look at both props in Preview Editor.  The chances that I built the props the way you built the actual tree and star is pretty remote.  You will need to edit the arrangement of the strings in all likelyhood.

7 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Well Duh!  I could download the preview just as easily.  Files sent via E-Mail...

Thank you, received.

JR

10 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Note that you should look at both props in Preview Editor.  The chances that I built the props the way you built the actual tree and star is pretty remote.  You will need to edit the arrangement of the strings in all likelyhood.

Thank you very much, it works just like I wanted them to. But I can't figure out how you made them, there dosent seem to be any effects rows, plus in your prevue file it show two tree effects, and two star effects, but no effects rows, when I imported it to my preview, there is only one tree, and one star, but still no effects rows, yet it still works. how did you do that?

Edited by nortonz

20 minutes ago, nortonz said:

Thank you very much, it works just like I wanted them to. But I can't figure out how you made them

Open up the Preview in the Preview Editor.  There should be Star 1 and Tree 1 as two separate props.  Open up each one and take a look at how they are laid out.  Since the tree wanted to be 130 pixels, I made it as a Tree 90 shaped prop with 1 actual string of 130 pixels.  I then told it to have 12 folds which results in 13 vertical legs of the tree - each with 10 pixels.  Unless you just happened to build your tree EXACTLY that way, you will need to edit those settings to match the actual tree layout.  You will also most likely need to change the channel assignment unless you just happened to be planning on using the first output port on a Pixie controller that is assigned unit ID = 01.

For the star, I just used the Star shape with one string of 20 pixels.  The channel assignments simply starts with the first channel after the tree ends.  Again you will need to make sure that your physical stars match the layout in the Preview Editor.

29 minutes ago, nortonz said:

there dosent seem to be any effects rows,

Motion Effects Rows and Preview are largely unrelated.  Yes, you can tell set a number of ME rows to set in the Preview, but that is just telling the Sequencer to create them.  The ME rows are not in the Preview.  I never tell the Preview Editor to create ME rows, but rather do so in Sequencer.

31 minutes ago, nortonz said:

plus in your prevue file it show two tree effects, and two star effects, but no effects rows, when I imported it to my preview, there is only one tree, and one star

Not sure where you are seeing two trees and two stars.  There is only one tree and one star in the preview file I posted above. 

After you edit the one tree and star in the Preview Editor, you will need to copy them so that there are a total of eight trees and eight stars - and of course set the appropriate channel assignments for each one.

You will also likely want to create one or more groups.  How many will depend a little on how you expect to sequence them.  You can always go back and add different group arrangements later on.

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

Not sure where you are seeing two trees and two stars.  There is only one tree and one star in the preview file I posted above. 

I have all the trees added to my preview, an it is all working great. I did change the unit number and checked the node count, as for the 2 trees, and stars, when I open up that preview this is what it looked like. after I imported it to my Preview, there was only 1 star and 1 tree., so it all worked out. I guess it just through me.

I did know that you could create a effects row with out adding it. Have to play with that a bit.

Screenshot_1.png