Light-O-Rama Forums

Get ethernet cable through concrete block wall?

Donl1150

So I am at the point of planning the new layout in the yard.  I live in Florida in a new home and the walls are all concrete block.  In past years, my show consisted only of AC channels and my Easy Light Linkers worked just fine.  This year I am adding 2 mini pixel tress and 2 GE pixel singing faces so I have to hardwire back to the computer for the AUX channel.

Obviously way is to simply drill a hole through the block wall and feed the cable through.  Probably a remote area and then run the cable along the soffit to the area involved.  Searching the internet, I came across this:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/accessories/apd/a9621975?gacd=9646510-1068-5763017-266743642-0&dgc=st&&msclkid=9f767e172cc41ee031c71f2c4d29eb36&gclid=9f767e172cc41ee031c71f2c4d29eb36&gclsrc=3p.ds&nclid=ke0hM3Qpr1OKzpctCjcNsrwiDbOfS7bxtLDCT0VqMKBl6c8eZLgUsdPsqXQUiZCv

A wireless unit capable of speeds of 1000 Mbps. 

Is this a possible solution and has anyone had experience with high speed wireless?

50 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Run flat cat6 cable through a window. It lays completely flat and you can still fully close the window.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00WD017DE/?coliid=I2W7X3HDRHSXMK&colid=61DMUXRRSCM3&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

^^^^What he said^^^^.  I've been using flat cable for years up here in Minnesnowta.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, basis21b said:

^^^^What he said^^^^.  I've been using flat cable for years up here in Minnesnowta.  

If you are not using power to the adapter, then one CAT cable can handle up to 4 LOR networks *IF* you make a set of splitter/breakout boxes. The Blue pair is all that is used, so run each pair to pins 4-5 of the breakout jacks.

OR

If things are real short. Put the USB Hub/LOR adapters OUTSIDE (protected)

Concrete drill bits work like a charm.

I drilled a 1.5” hole. On the outside I put a junction box.

All cables are pulled through the box and ran to whatever location they are needed.

Under sidewalks build an easy spray tool with white pvc, a threaded end and an old fire hose style valve

Connect water hose to other end ox the pvc

Dig a hole about 1’ diameter and use the water pick to drill to the other side.

When you see water coming out or bubbling dig the other side hole.

Used this method for years for aeration systems

Can also use under driveways but a core driller with flex shaft is better for those wide runs

JR 

Thanks guys.  Kind of what I thought but figured I would ask.   I'll try the flat cable through the window first.  Seems like less work plus I can keep my PC in the same location as in the past.  If that doesn't work for some reason, I'll drill the hole and mount junction boxes as JR has done.

I have the advantage that at the time I was stating with computerized lighting, I was in the middle of a major front yard landscaping project and the yard was bare dirt.  I have a quarter mile of conduit under the lawn.  I buried conduit that I had no idea what I would use it for.  Almost all of it has been used for something or another - some permanently and some temporarily for the light show.  There are conduit paths to here in the family room, my bedroom closet, the east end of the attic, the data cabinet in the garage and at least a half dozen locations in the front yard.

When we had a new concrete driveway poured about a decade ago, I ended up with 7 pieces of conduit under that concrete n various places.  All except one are now in permanent use.

Planning ahead.

When I had solar installed 3 years ago, they needed to get conduit from the 21 panels on the garage over to the house.  It's only about a six foot gap at the closest, but they were trying to figure out how to route it.  I pointed to the 3 pieces of 1.5 inch conduit between the house and garage - of which only one was in use - and said, you can use the end conduit there...  Made for a far neater installation!

If you ever put conduit under ground or through structures for later use- always pull some strings as well.

Or you can build a pipe chase (mouse). However for small pipe and multiple cables a chase mouse will not work well.

JR

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

If you ever put conduit under ground or through structures for later use- always pull some strings as well.

Or you can build a pipe chase (mouse). However for small pipe and multiple cables a chase mouse will not work well.

JR

💡Plastic bag on the end of a string (pull string bucket +++) and a shop vac at the other end. CAUTION: Wear gloves. It really flies

11 hours ago, TheDucks said:

💡Plastic bag on the end of a string (pull string bucket +++) and a shop vac at the other end. CAUTION: Wear gloves. It really flies

In commercial systems where the conduit is much larger that will work

But remember most people Here wilL try to use 1/2” conduit and try to pull 10 cables through, nothing will get around some of the works of art conduit layouts I have seen by a couple local lightsters. LOL

3 hours ago, dibblejr said:

In commercial systems where the conduit is much larger that will work

But remember most people Here wilL try to use 1/2” conduit and try to pull 10 cables through, nothing will get around some of the works of art conduit layouts I have seen by a couple local lightsters. LOL

worked fine on 1"  ~200' conduit from the house to the utility pole across the street.  Made me a believer.  (it wasn't much of a bag, only enough to block some of the air trying to get past.

10 wires in 1/2? OMG. All the pull lube in the woild is not going to help

24 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

worked fine on 1"  ~200' conduit from the house to the utility pole across the street.  Made me a believer.  (it wasn't much of a bag, only enough to block some of the air trying to get past.

10 wires in 1/2? OMG. All the pull lube in the woild is not going to help

That was my wording almost exacty