Light-O-Rama Forums

Splitting one string into two parts on a single string?

nortonz

I have a string of 50 pixels around my front door up one side, across the top, and Down the other side. Is it possible to have the 2 sides to act as ione and the top act alone other words have them act independence ?

That is the whole thing about Smart RGB. They are addressable by node.  You just program them as you want. 1-15, 16-30, 31-45, 46-50.

The node address is by POSITION FROM THE START.  Cut a string, and connect the left over to a new port and the first node is ONE. Connect a second string on the end of an existing one: (last is 50) and it becomes 51  (there are other considerations that need attention. Power limits, Max count (170).. )

OTOH if you are talking about DUMB RGB (you use a CMB24), you can cut those (only at cut marks on ribbons), and wire each piece to a RGB port. You control the PORT, not the node in this case.

12 hours ago, TheDucks said:

That is the whole thing about Smart RGB. They are addressable by node.  You just program them as you want. 1-15, 16-30, 31-45, 46-50.

The node address is by POSITION FROM THE START.  Cut a string, and connect the left over to a new port and the first node is ONE. Connect a second string on the end of an existing one: (last is 50) and it becomes 51  (there are other considerations that need attention. Power limits, Max count (170).. )

OTOH if you are talking about DUMB RGB (you use a CMB24), you can cut those (only at cut marks on ribbons), and wire each piece to a RGB port. You control the PORT, not the node in this case.

Not sure if I understand you. what I want to do is have both sides to act as one, and the top to act as another. on the same channel. There are all smart pixels, and its a string of 50, so there would be 20 nodes on one side, and 20 on there other side, with 10 at the top.

14 minutes ago, nortonz said:

Not sure if I understand you. what I want to do is have both sides to act as one, and the top to act as another. on the same channel. There are all smart pixels, and its a string of 50, so there would be 20 nodes on one side, and 20 on there other side, with 10 at the top.

20 nodes on left side = 1 Motion Effect (or more) row
20 nodes on right side = 1 Motion Effect (or more) row
10 nodes on top = 1 Motion Effect (or more) row

Create motion effect rows, for each section you want to control.

For example, each vertical, both verticals, top row, and any other combination you like 

In the channel list, right click on the prop, add or modify motion row.

In the dialog, add motion row, name it  and select custom in the subsection drop-down. You should see a display of the whole prop in black pixels. Click on the nodes you want to control, will turn white. Add more rows for the other views 

Exit to the grid view and add your motion effects.

1 hour ago, nortonz said:

what I want to do is have both sides to act as one, and the top to act as another. on the same channel.

First of all, they are not on the same channel.  They are on the same port of output from the pixel controller.  Each output has many channels.

Your questions have otherwise been answered.

5 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

Create motion effect rows, for each section you want to control.

For example, each vertical, both verticals, top row, and any other combination you like 

In the channel list, right click on the prop, add or modify motion row.

In the dialog, add motion row, name it  and select custom in the subsection drop-down. You should see a display of the whole prop in black pixels. Click on the nodes you want to control, will turn white. Add more rows for the other views 

Exit to the grid view and add your motion effects.

Ok I selected the prop, added a motion effect for each side, named them, selected the custom button for each side, and selected the odes for each side. Saved, but I only see one prop in the sequencer. How do I select the individual section for the prop?

I selected a 3 section line.

5 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

There should be two single Motion Rows. Are they collapsed. Click on the plus sign.

I thought about that, but there is no plus sign in front of the prop. There must be another step? Di I need to select a straight line, I have a connected line, with 3 sections.

Create the Prop using the "Window Frame" add your pixel count for sides & top (none for bottom) - Select "Motion Effect Row" then "Add" - highlight the side pixels - from left & right of string > then "Add" - highlight the center (top) pixels - you should have 2 Motion effect rows > "Save" ... so if your door is 36 pixels high then the first 36 pixels & the last 36 pixels should be highlighted in the string for the Sides Motion effect row.. And if 18 pixels wide - then the middle 18 pixels of the string should be highlighted for the Top motion effect row.

Edited by Jimehc

32 minutes ago, Jimehc said:

Create the Prop using the "Window Frame" add your pixel count for sides & top (none for bottom) - Select "Motion Effect Row" then "Add" - highlight the side pixels - from left & right of string > then "Add" - highlight the center (top) pixels - you should have 2 Motion effect rows > "Save" ... so if your door is 36 pixels high then the first 36 pixels & the last 36 pixels should be highlighted in the string for the Sides Motion effect row.. And if 18 pixels wide - then the middle 18 pixels of the string should be highlighted for the Top motion effect row.

Ok I did all that, but I still don't have a plus sign on my prop. What am I doing wrong?

frame Rt side.png

frame Top.png

Frame lt Side.png

5 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Are you in the show all grid view.

You should have three motion rows with a triangle in front of the names you made

Yes I'm in Show all Grid view.

show all view.png

After you made your motion rows did you made a new sequence or did you open one that you had worked on before? If it is an old sequence you may have to add your newly made motion rows to that sequence. Try rightclick your prop an then add/modify motion rows, you should then be able to add those rows to your open sequence.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

After you made your motion rows did you made a new sequence or did you open one that you had worked on before? If it is an old sequence you may have to add your newly made motion rows to that sequence. Try rightclick your prop an then add/modify motion rows, you should then be able to add those rows to your open sequence.

That is what I was missing, Thank you everyone, for you help, you just saved me a lot of money for this year.  Thank you..