Light-O-Rama Forums

Electric Concern

Guest guest

I'm planning on buying the showtime with the 16 channels and 30 amps during the LOR sale. I went outside today to see what kind of outlets I had and it looks like I just have 1 20 amp breaker going to 2 outlets. My question is can I can the 30 amp showtime LOR use both plugs as long as I don't go over 20 amps?

You can build a simple spreadsheet and track the load that you have plugged into channels 1-8 and then also 9-16. Each of those banks of channels is limited by the power cord feeding them.

You'll want to distribute the load between the two banks of channels and then make sure that you don't exceed the limit of your setup. It sounds like you'll be plugging both power cords of the controller into the outlets that are fed by the 20 amp breaker, so that would be your limiting factor.

Even if you plugged in more than 20 total amps of load into the controller, you can run it so that not all the channels are on at once. Or you can also dim down the channels to also help reduce load. Many folks here try to only load up a circuit to 80% or so, which would put you at 16 amps.

Is there anything else that is plugged into this circuit and turned on? If so, that will reduce the load that can be carried by the LOR board.

The short story is that you should be okay as long as you just plug in a string or two of mini lights into each channel. You definitely don't want to power up a bunch of stuff with this setup. I hope that helps....

Randy

Here is a suggestion. Put in the two 20 amp fuses in your LOR then run a cord to the outside outlet and run the other cord to a outlet inside that you do not use much.

You will be able to do more that way.