Light-O-Rama Forums

ShowTime Central

Mr. Christmas

Guys, I am new to LOR and want to order equipment and am not sure if I have everything I need in my Cart.  I have ShowTime Central Starter Pack plu 3 add on controllers. And TSO Plug n SHow. Is this all I need? I want plug n play for this year.

LOR is not a true plug-n-play, you will still need to do some work but it's as close as you can get. Your Basic Plus license will cover what you ordered with four unit ID's and you have ordered some sequences that you will have to configure for your setup. You will also need some more cat5 cables for your three separate controllers and and a bunch of lights. Your fm transmitter will send the signal out but you may want to think of something for a speaker setup for walkers or people standing outside to view the display. Other then that you are pretty much ready to go.

As an add-on to that statement, no system is true "plug and play" since that "plug" part refers to installing the lights and connecting them to the right place, which is always going to take time, no matter what synchronization system you purchase. The reference to "plug and play" with Light-O-Rama is that, once your lights are physically installed, you can purchase sequences so at least that aspect is done, which takes a considerable amount of time if you're making the sequences from scratch on your own.

And 64 channels worth of extension cords (just for the Lights). For standard LED or Mini-light strings: Consider building your own with Lamp Cord (SPT-1 or 2) and Vampire Plugs/sockets (be sure to use the ones for you cord of choice). 💡 I bought a kit of assorted COLOR zip ties and put a matching color (or combination) at each end. sure makes tracing stubborn 'Why is string X not ON? 💡 I also write the Length of each on the plug.

you also need 4-8 Heavy Gauge (do not confuse Heavy Duty, that just means rough service) extensions to power the controllers from the wall) If you are running LED or Mini light, consider converting the controllers to Single cord (there are notes in the booklet) if they can't be ordered that way. 1 plug/extension is easier to deal with if you are not running high power light.

Do you have any basic electrical tools?

I opt'ed for the TSO starter package w/ 3 extra controllers - as it included the Pro License and HS Adapter

• Like 1

To piggyback on what everyone already mentioned,

A good thing to to start with is planning and drawing out your display setup. Document everything in every element of your display.  1. From where each light string will be placed in your display (including its bulb count and/or string length and it's start and end points). How are you hanging the lights and what materials do you need?  2. Where will each extension cord for each light string run from the controller to the light string (determines the length required for each extension cord for each light string. Use a tape measure.). 3. Where will each controller be positioned in the display which determines the extension cord length to power each controller and the length and number of data cables between controllers in addition to #2 above.  4. How are you going to label light strings, extension cords, controllers? i.e. colored zip ties, permanent markers, custom labels, different colored data cables (for multiple networks, DMX universes)?  5. Add a little more extra to everything you think you need, especially time. It always takes more time than you thought it would. Extra extension cords, spare light strings, data cable, and a spare controller if you can afford it. You know you will eventually want grow your display or will have hardware failures, so the extras won't go to waste. When you have a written plan/diagram, its easier to reference later when troubleshooting or expanding your display. 6. Getting the PRO license is a good decision, especially if you want to eventually get into pixels. If you buy sequences, buy the editable ones. You will likely have a little different setup in your display compared to what the sequence was originally created for.

This doesn't directly help with your original question in what you need from LOR necessarily, but does help in overall planning and the required items you will need. Better to know what you need first, then order/buy the equipment. This is an expensive hobby, how much more will it cost have another controller, data cable, or extension cord shipped separately because you forgot something? How many of us has bought materials without a accurate drawing or written plan then find out we needed more extension cords, wire, controllers, or data cable because we under-estimated the distance between the controller and light string or between different controllers?

I started out with a 128 channel A/C controller package and spent nearly two years planning and building props before my first show went live. I'm a little meticulous and methodical when creating/designing new things. Call me weird, but it works for me and the only thing that matters is that you are happy with your display and how you created and made it work.

Daryl