Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie to LOR, need help!

rdefrei1

Hi,

I'm looking to add Permanent addressable RGBs to the front of my house and to my ScreenEnclosure/Patio area.

I would also like to keep upgrading in the future years. (Front of the house would be more for Christmas look and Patio area for barbecue/party)

What would be a good permanent solution? 

Which Pixel Package/Controller should I get it? 

If I get the pixels from Alibaba Ray Wu would that make a big difference in price?

What you guys usually do?

Thanks in advance.

Roger.

IMHO Just don't try and do it with a Single controller. Long cables from the controller to the LEDS is not good.

💡 Many LOR controllers can be loaded with a sequence (via HU)  and run stand alone (patio?) What is not made clear, is one controller (master) can control another on a LOR network (slave).

Standalone systems can be run by simply applying power 👍

I run year round landscape lighting, so should be able to help.

1 hour ago, rdefrei1 said:

Which Pixel Package/Controller should I get it? 

Depends A LOT on what you are trying to accomplish.

1 hour ago, rdefrei1 said:

If I get the pixels from Alibaba Ray Wu would that make a big difference in price?

Yes, much lower price, far harder to deal with a warrantee issue.  The vast majority of my pixels came from Ray Wu.  If you do place an order with Ray, DO NOT simply order through the Alibaba ordering system.  Contact Ray with exactly what you want and request a quote.  May not save anything on the order, but you will save substantially on the shipping cost.

7 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Many LOR controllers can be loaded with a sequence (via HU)  and run stand alone (patio?) What is not made clear, is one controller (master) can control another on a LOR network (slave).

Yes, one LOR controller with a standalone sequence can drive other LOR controllers on the same LOR network.  There are limits as to how much sequencing can be saved in a controller.

Since you are wanting to get into pixels you will also need to upgrade your license as a Basic license just won't cut it. I would highly recommend a Pro license so you have all the benefits for using pixels.

Thanks for all information.

I'm still deciding once a finish measuring everything in my home.