Light-O-Rama Forums

Question about having 250 pixels...

notredameforlife

I am using pixels and this is the first year I am having so many pixels per string... This year I planned on having 250 pixels per string... It said Max is 512 .... For each universe it said it will carry over 88 or 212 I cant recall.... What does carry over mean? How do I program the carry over? Will these pixels light up lol? Thanks I'm using new lightorama version and I got pro.

The 512 max value is channels. Each pixel uses THREE channels, so the max per universe is 170 pixels which equals 510 channels.  More than 170 can carry over into the next universe if you want. However, if you do use 250 pixels per string you will be likely looking at power injection, as 250 pixels at 12 volts and assuming 0.6W per pixel will need about 12A. You didn't say which controller, but that is well over twice what most controllers can supply per port.

There are a lot of variables to consider. LOR pixels run at 0.3W each and if you plan on using less than 100 percent intensity you can reduce the load still further, but you need to design and test based on what you have.

Stop thinking in strings and think of how many pixels per prop and design from there. You also don't need to fill a universe if you don't want to. 

My holidaycoro boxes can withstand 250 pixels per  channel or universe. My box says it can withstand 320 pixels. so I got 16 universes of 250 pixels.... So that means I will have to create 32 universe? 

42       512     238

Universe  42... 512 pixels and 238 carry over.  So for example my tree starts at 42 universe.... so on universe 43 I got to make it 238 pixels?   This may make me go to xlights bc it seems its going to be difficult. 

Again. 250 pixels is 750 channels. 

750 channels is about one and a half universes.

One universe is 510 channels or 170 pixels.

510 channels is 170 PIXELS. You are mixing up channels, ports and universes.

Start from there. S5 will do whatever you want to do 

Okay I am sorry I messed up the language.....  im worried about having issues with programming it.... I have plenty of 16ccr christmas trees sequenced and usually I send them to superstar and I change the channel count. Last year I changed my 16 ccr 50 pixel tree to a 32 ccr 100 pixel tree....... With having two universes now  ( bc I have to carry over pixels since 512  ) Will superstar be able to change this automatically in the layout settings. Thanks again..... I will be reading up more about carrying over channels/ 

4 hours ago, notredameforlife said:

Okay I am sorry I messed up the language.....  im worried about having issues with programming it.... I have plenty of 16ccr christmas trees sequenced and usually I send them to superstar and I change the channel count. Last year I changed my 16 ccr 50 pixel tree to a 32 ccr 100 pixel tree....... With having two universes now  ( bc I have to carry over pixels since 512  ) Will superstar be able to change this automatically in the layout settings. Thanks again..... I will be reading up more about carrying over channels/ 

Why would you need SS to correct your universes? Are you using SS to sequence?

Set it on the alphapix or whichever controller, set it in Network Preferences then copy paste or “insert superstar effect” ME row.

S5 internally takes care of everything else.

Somehwere I have a video of some of my custom singing and animated props that have 600+ nodes and how it all looks to the human brain. Confusing but always works

I never had to worry about the carry over pixels.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Dibblejr.... Thanks I was just worrying about programming it.... It seems confusing to have a new universe with the carrying over pixels and how that will work....  I usually copy and paste the whole row ( my 16ccr trees) and then in superstar change my lights. Most props I keep the same but I been changing up my big christmas trees ..... 

On 6/18/2021 at 10:11 AM, notredameforlife said:

Dibblejr.... Thanks I was just worrying about programming it.... It seems confusing to have a new universe with the carrying over pixels and how that will work....  I usually copy and paste the whole row ( my 16ccr trees) and then in superstar change my lights. Most props I keep the same but I been changing up my big christmas trees ..... 

you still will have only 1 row. It will sort itself out internally.

I worried about the same thing my first time with my custom props.

Like yoi I went in to my controller Config and attempted to make sense of it, which I never did.

JR

• 2 months later...

i will try again to program this and get it to play..... Last time I attempted to do this only 100 of my 200 lights worked. 

1 hour ago, notredameforlife said:

i will try again to program this and get it to play..... Last time I attempted to do this only 100 of my 200 lights worked. 

Did you set the pixels in the advanced settings in your controller. Doesn’t sound like you did

advanced settings? I never heard of that . I have holidaycoro boxes and just usually program everything on lightorama and  make sure my IP address to each box matches the universes under network settings. I have never had to change anything on my controller boxes besides ip address,  Thanks I will look into it. 

11 minutes ago, notredameforlife said:

advanced settings? I never heard of that . I have holidaycoro boxes and just usually program everything on lightorama and  make sure my IP address to each box matches the universes under network settings. I have never had to change anything on my controller boxes besides ip address,  Thanks I will look into it. 

If you have the AP rgb controller you have to go to the AP advance GUI and set the number of pixels, universes and all of that stuff

18 minutes ago, notredameforlife said:

If you have the AP rgb controller you have to go to the AP advance GUI and set the number of pixels, universes and all of that stuff

Videos sent via PM

1 minute ago, dibblejr said:

Videos sent via PM

Also set your max to 510. Another member I help had this problem just 2 days ago.

170x3= 510

Edited by dibblejr

thanks so much.... This going to be a hard year but im lucky to have a house and power..... Been helping out many friends and family who was hit by this hurricane.... 

14 minutes ago, notredameforlife said:

thanks so much.... This going to be a hard year but im lucky to have a house and power..... Been helping out many friends and family who was hit by this hurricane.... 

best of luck.

I know that feeling all to well.

JR

I tested out my lights and all 200 lights worked in test mode. but when i tried to play my sequence only 150 lights worked. I tried to upload the pictures of my settings but they are over the size limit.... this mega tree will be the death of me  lol... 

3 hours ago, notredameforlife said:

I tried to upload the pictures of my settings but they are over the size limit....

Upload the photo to a website (Google Drive, OneDrive, DropBox, etc), and post a link to it.

3 hours ago, notredameforlife said:

I tested out my lights and all 200 lights worked in test mode. but when i tried to play my sequence only 150 lights worked. I tried to upload the pictures of my settings but they are over the size limit.... this mega tree will be the death of me  lol... 

Did you set the max to 510 yet? If not that should solve your issue.

Just went through this with a friend in SC Sunday and Monday 

JR