Light-O-Rama Forums

Using a subsequence for a non-light prop

Steven

My Halloween display includes a fog machine that is controlled by a relay connected to a channel in an interactive sequence triggered by a motion detector. This means the trick-or-treaters get fog when they come up the walkway. I've been doing this for years and the teenagers love it.

Because I want to have a little smog even when no one shows up for a while, I have the fog machine also triggered briefly by one of the musical sequences. I only include the "fog" channel in the 1 sequence so that the other sequences don't turn it off whenever they start.

In S4, I did this by adding a fog channel to just the one sequence. However, in S5, to do it that way, I would have to create a 2nd preview with the fog channel added, which means whenever I make a change to the preview, I would have to change both of them.

I'm now experimenting with a new way. In the sequence that has fog, I include a sub-sequence that runs a "fog" sequence, which has a preview with a single "fog" channel.

My question is: After I run the sub-sequence from the main sequence for 7 seconds, and the main sequence continues with the song for 2 minutes, does the "fog" channel get turned off when the main sequence turns the sub-sequence off? Or does the channel stay at whatever state it was when the sub-sequence stops?

I don’t know that I would you will need to figure out a way to keep the fog machine hot all the time..., idk what fog machine you have.... I ended up just buying a timer that ran 20 seconds every 5 minutes.... you should be able to do it that way. But the fog machine is going to turn off between every song.

I understand you want it to blow on people as they walk by.

idk if you could use this at the same time as LOR would be working. 

check out www.frightprops.com 

you may find what you are looking for on there.. I know I’ve bought quite a few fun things on there for Halloween!

hope this helps!

On 6/12/2021 at 2:56 PM, weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com said:

I don’t know that I would you will need to figure out a way to keep the fog machine hot all the time..., idk what fog machine you have....

I've already solved that problem. The LOR channel operates a relay that is wired to the "fog" button on the fog machine. I turn the fog machine's power on when Halloween starts. It's an inexpensive Gemmy fog machine.

I already have a motion sensor connected to an LOR controller input that operates a magic toy sequence that operates the fog machine.

I was asking specifically about using a subsequence in S5. The question is: When the running sequence turns the subsequence off, does that turn off all channels that the subsequence controls, or does it leave them at whatever level they were when the subsequence was interrupted by the main sequence? I'm going to test this, I just thought someone would know.

I think the answer is you are going to have to try it.

Off hand, I would think that as long as the channel is not in the preview used by the main sequence, it would remain at whatever state it was when the subsequence ended.  However, I have never used a subsequence, so that is only a guess.  Test it and let us know.