Light-O-Rama Forums

Which software version MUST I have to use the 10 W RGB flood kit?

Rhizzlebop

SO, I bought 2 regular 16 channel controllers from the Mad grab.  I'm planning to also get the 10W RGB flood kit.  It was OOS during mad grab, and I'm hoping they run a spring or summer sale.  If anyone knows let me know.

ANyway, so I'm playing with adding channels to my face sequences which will be these new controllers for trees and windows etc.

I added 16 + 16 regular controller channels, and then I added in what amounts to 24 channels that I converted to 8 RGB channels. (Used DMX controller per youtube videos)

I upgraded my software to basic Plus that said it will run 4 controllers.  When I opened the sequence to start fiddling it said my software version wont support non LOR controllers.    Did I not upgrade high enough or should they not be DMX controllers?  I didn't se RGB in the controller list.

Help appreciated!!  Thank you

You do not have your software version listed on your profile however you need Advanced or Pro to run DMX.

I would recommend the Pro since there is not that much of a cost difference and at some point you will need it. 

Thus when you start adding pixels you won’t have to worry.

But please fill out your profile so we can better help you in the future.

Also add the device not the individual channels. Select CMB24 from The drop down list.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

You (will) have 3 LOR ID's (LOR network mode) as all the controllers are DUMB.

Only Advanced or Pro will do DMX mode

I use S4, so I start with (in SE):

adding a device (below) : The device is CMB24 (not RGB) : You choose to add its channel mode as 8RGB or 24 Channels

Whatever license  you end up getting, and I also recommend  PRO, you should get the latest version, 5.6, which has some major improvements over 5.5. See the what's new section at the top of the help file.

http://www1.lightorama.com/downloads/5.6.0/help/

Check your license here to see what version your license is valid for.

https://lightorama.com/licenseCheck.html

Here is a FAQ on license issues.

http://www1.lightorama.com/software-license-faq

Your Basic Plus license will control your three LOR controllers (plus one more), but you will need to operate the CMB24 in LOR mode - not DMX.  There is ZERO need to operate that in DMX mode.

With that said, I also recommend biting the bullet and going to Pro because there are many additional features as you get higher class licenses in addition to controller count.  You will not regret making the upgrade.

The license level comparison webpage is:  http://www1.lightorama.com/showtime-sequencing-suite/#levels

Thanks all for the replies.  I’m on S4 and I just upgraded to the latest version of that.  

Sounds like I just incorrectly chose Dmx.   Every YouTube video I found about how to add rgb channels they showed choosing dmx.   

so instead I just choose cmb24?  

I havnt upgraded to S5.   JR you and I texted a couple weeks ago about that.  I’m just quite nervous about difficulties of the transition and if I’ll have to relearn things or lose anything I have.  I’ve got about 45 singing face sequences that I’ve pieced together from generous people here @nd many hours of work. 

For my 32 new channels I’m adding 8 trees (8 bushes I already have in a row.  2 multi trunk crape myrtles and a bush beside my garage.  That’s 11.   Of the 5 remaining channels im debating what to do 

for my other 16 channel controller I’m adding I’m thinking of doing 2 giant arches that cross my driveway (8 each)

so for those extra 5 channels mentioned above I’m open for ideas.   Right now just thinking of a spinning wheel effect on the ground across the front yard. (Like 5 long straight strings of lights that will look like they spin) 

have a better idea for 5 channels?    I could also do 5 strips down tree style from a high point on my house.   Could also do a smaller 5 segment arch but I think it would look weird compared beside the 8 segment arches. 

im planning to order the 8 flood kit soon which will add large light and movement to the entire front of the house.   

I do not currently have eave lights as it’s so high I’d need to rent a lift or bucket truck to get them up and back down.  If I did I could use the 5 channels there easily. 

Please correct your PROFILE. It is leading us down the wrong path for detailed instructions.

13 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Please correct your PROFILE. It is leading us down the wrong path for detailed instructions.

Thanks.  I don’t recall ever entering there that I was on S5.   

anyhow regarding my questions. 

so I’ll change the rgb channels to a cbm24. 

any neat ideas to do with these extra 5 channels in my small front yard. 

1 hour ago, Rhizzlebop said:

so I’ll change the rgb channels to a cbm24. 

any neat ideas to do with these extra 5 channels in my small front yard. 

Never worry about having a few 'spare' channels 😛.  The BIG worry is having an idea, and not enough 😭

Those CMB-24 RGB ports can be 'ungrouped' individually and just used with 12V lamps.

Halloween: I have skeleton hands that I stuffed with a 12V section out of cheap 120V string ( 💡 most AC strings are Series bulbs. the voltage adds up, so a 10 bulb string + 12V per bub, a 35 bulb string+3.5V per bulb,so use 4 bulb segments.

Christmas: Candy cane spinner (6 channels: 12 Canes wired opposite pairs)

FWIW My original 8 Floods from my first  grab is now spread across 3 @ CMB24's and I added 2 more floods and  STILL need 3, if they ever get restocked (now used in odd shaped areas surrounded by concrete)

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

Never worry about having a few 'spare' channels 😛.  The BIG worry is having an idea, and not enough 😭

Those CMB-24 RGB ports can be 'ungrouped' individually and just used with 12V lamps.

Halloween: I have skeleton hands that I stuffed with a 12V section out of cheap 120V string ( 💡 most AC strings are Series bulbs. the voltage adds up, so a 10 bulb string + 12V per bub, a 35 bulb string+3.5V per bulb,so use 4 bulb segments.

Christmas: Candy cane spinner (6 channels: 12 Canes wired opposite pairs)

FWIW My original 8 Floods from my first  grab is now spread across 3 @ CMB24's and I added 2 more floods and  STILL need 3, if they ever get restocked (now used in odd shaped areas surrounded by concrete)

Thanks.   I don’t want to have unused channels.  I wanna make the most use of them.     
can you send me a video of some of the things you described?   Candy canes sound interesting.  

It can be useful to have a few extra channels.  If a controller board develops a failed channel during your show season, it is far easier to move to a spare channel and change the sequencing (REALLY easy in S5, BTW).  Over time, you will likely want to have some spare hardware - both for testing stuff and replacement if something dies during show season - stuff does die or get damaged.  We could start a list....

My #1 on the spares list is a spare USB-RS485 adapter.  If that dies, you have no show, and they are inexpensive.  That obviously applies if you are running the show from a computer.  If you are using a Director, same problem if it dies, but they are not so inexpensive.  At the very least have a spare SD card with your show.

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

It can be useful to have a few extra channels.  If a controller board develops a failed channel during your show season, it is far easier to move to a spare channel and change the sequencing (REALLY easy in S5, BTW).  Over time, you will likely want to have some spare hardware - both for testing stuff and replacement if something dies during show season - stuff does die or get damaged.  We could start a list....

My #1 on the spares list is a spare USB-RS485 adapter.  If that dies, you have no show, and they are inexpensive.  That obviously applies if you are running the show from a computer.  If you are using a Director, same problem if it dies, but they are not so inexpensive.  At the very least have a spare SD card with your show.

Good ideas on extra hardware.    I’d love to use those channels to get my eaves lit but that would def require a lift or truck.  Not sure I’m that committed to the cost.  

anyone ever have luck speaking to local volunteer firemen or anything and they swing a truck by for an hour one day?  

1 hour ago, Rhizzlebop said:

Good ideas on extra hardware.    I’d love to use those channels to get my eaves lit but that would def require a lift or truck.  Not sure I’m that committed to the cost.  

anyone ever have luck speaking to local volunteer firemen or anything and they swing a truck by for an hour one day?  

Never hurts to ask.

The old “you scratch my back and I will scratch yours” may work since it’s a volunteer FD.

JR

3 hours ago, Rhizzlebop said:

Idk about yours,  but I took donations for the local fire dept last year,. Not only was it beneficial for them, but the word got out faster because they advertised it for me also. idk how you feel about that, I set out a donation box like several of the people on the forum. Just had 100% went to them in my show. If you set up something like that for them this year, they may help you. same goes as the “you scratch my back, I scratch yours” kinda deal. 

I know it's hard NOT to use all channels on an AC Controller, but as others have said, you might need 1 or 2 in the event a channel fails.  It does happen.   Usually not so much if a controller is brand new, but it's happened.   My 3rd year of doing this I had 2 Triacs fail in 2 different controllers, and I had used every channel on every controller I had at the time, so now I had 2 props that were dead and had to remove them from my display.   As dead, non-working props in a display just doesn't look good.   If I'd have kept at least 2 channels open and available on my controllers, I wouldn't have had to remove props, wiring and extension cords.  Then I had to do some shifting of everything left in the yard because of the gaps those props left in the display.

Believe me, you would be better off NOT using those 5 channels and keep them in reserve in case of a channel failure in the controller.  I learned this the hard way my 3rd year.

I now have downsized to only 2 AC Controllers in my display since going 95% RGB, and even those two controllers don't get fully utilized, I use around 12 channels on one and about 8-10 on the 2nd.   I could add quite a few more things to them, but after having the experience with channel failures, I've learned it's better to have MORE channels than items plugged into all of them.  Just swap out the channel to a working one, and change the sequence to reflect the channel change.  Only takes a very short time to do that.

Good Luck, whatever you choose to do is your decision.  All we can do is offer our advice and why it's better to have spare channels as to not, usually because we've experienced it.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked