Light-O-Rama Forums

Singing Faces and Matrix's

Dave76

21 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

It has been a long time since I looked at S4 and even longer since I looked at PE, never could get along with it at all and hardly used it. S5 is much better in that regard, IMO.

S5 has a number of new effects, but the latest addition is Audio, which draws a waveform or a graphic EQ in real time, and is quick and easy to apply. What used to take 4 hours using the VU wizard can be done in few minutes, with better results. There are more but I don't recall which ones are new compared to S4, and some are just improved from user feedback.

There are also many LOR favorite effects in 5.6 which are combinations of Motion Effects to get even more interesting results.

Hi Phil,

I was just reading and watching the video in another post with the waveform.  You and JR had a bunch of discussion on it.  I also read a bunch of other posts.  Looked like a lot of people having issues bringing in their older S4 sequences.  Hard to know if it's the program/process or more of just users getting familiar with a new product.  I'm a little nervous to be honest.  Since working with S4 over the past 3-4 years and Pixel editor which I just know.  But I'm open to some of the new stuff, as long as it's not going to set me back.  I'm even eyeing SS as an add-on.

So once you start the upgrade, there is no going back?  Unless it's on a different computer, which I don't know how that works out with the license (or even possible).  I really don't have a second show computer anyhow.

I did check, and looks like I'm approved for up to S5 5.6.*

image.png.acc60382004598dd44262cd50b37610f.png

Oh DECISIONS DECISIONS... What to do.

The conversion can work well or have issues. I think the concensus is the best way is to create your Preview, think Visualizer plus config in one place and use that to import your existing sequences. Having said that, there is an option to create your Preview using the S4 visualizer file which may work or may have issues. However there is no harm done in trying it to see how well it works. Importing or upgrading to the S5 format does NOT change the original LMS file in ANY way so you absolutely are not burning your bridges. The new format .LOREDIT will be used going forward. Once you make additions or changes in that file you will not be able to go back, but your original LMS will still be unchanged.

All versions of the software allow five seats, so you can have up to five installs on five different pc's in any combination of versions, but you cannot have S4 and S5 on the same machine at the same time.

There is a video by Matt from the VCS a few weeks ago with a lot of detail on upgrading to S5.

11 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

The conversion can work well or have issues. I think the concensus is the best way is to create your Preview, think Visualizer plus config in one place and use that to import your existing sequences. Having said that, there is an option to create your Preview using the S4 visualizer file which may work or may have issues. However there is no harm done in trying it to see how well it works. Importing or upgrading to the S5 format does NOT change the original LMS file in ANY way so you absolutely are not burning your bridges. The new format .LOREDIT will be used going forward. Once you make additions or changes in that file you will not be able to go back, but your original LMS will still be unchanged.

All versions of the software allow five seats, so you can have up to five installs on five different pc's in any combination of versions, but you cannot have S4 and S5 on the same machine at the same time.

There is a video by Matt from the VCS a few weeks ago with a lot of detail on upgrading to S5.

I'll watch this.  I didn't catch this on when the VCS was going on thanks. 

Right now, I never use the visualizer.  I use pixel editor and the previewer in there. 

So if I install LOR on say a second PC, that won't be a problem.  I could put it on my tower computer to try out, before upgrading on my show laptop.  Hmm

7 minutes ago, Dave76 said:

So if I install LOR on say a second PC, that won't be a problem.  I could put it on my tower computer to try out, before upgrading on my show laptop.  Hmm

Sure can. 

I can't speak to how well PE stuff comes in. I had no ME in use when I converted. 

There is also an option to let the software create a preview from the contents of the LMS. Worth a try but might not work out. You probably will end up creating a new Preview.

I had this great reply typed, and then got called for lunch before sending.  Pretty much everything I typed already got said...

1 hour ago, PhilMassey said:

Sure can. 

I can't speak to how well PE stuff comes in. I had no ME in use when I converted. 

There is also an option to let the software create a preview from the contents of the LMS. Worth a try but might not work out. You probably will end up creating a new Preview.

I"m not opposed to making a new preview.  Doesn't take that long.  Kinda wanted to re-vamp my layout a bit anyhow.  S5 still uses Pixel Editor, or is S5 just "S5" all inclusive?

PE has been combined into the Sequencer. Right click on a Motion Effect row and you can open the ME window, which you will recognize as what used to be the PE. Save the sequence and everything is combined into the single ,loredit file.

The Preview window shows everything, plus gives you many options like grouping channels or props.

You can make a whole house group, for example, with every element inside, and apply Motion Effects to the entire thing.

19 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

PE has been combined into the Sequencer. Right click on a Motion Effect row and you can open the ME window, which you will recognize as what used to be the PE. Save the sequence and everything is combined into the single ,loredit file.

The Preview window shows everything, plus gives you many options like grouping channels or props.

You can make a whole house group, for example, with every element inside, and apply Motion Effects to the entire thing.

Motion Effect, whole house you can do that in S4.  Man, I really appreciate your time giving me info. 

so other than maybe a few new effects, is there anything else I’d be gaining?

31 minutes ago, Dave76 said:

Motion Effect, whole house you can do that in S4.  Man, I really appreciate your time giving me info. 

so other than maybe a few new effects, is there anything else I’d be gaining?

There is really to much to cover when it comes to gains using S5 over S4

once you get started uou will see.

since you already know PE you will have an advantage over those of us who didnt

JR

Well, since somewhat related, i have an 8CH Incan HC Singing Face - In Preview and Group, when I select the Motion Effect Row, I can open and see Image in SuperStar. It also has a small grid with 5 dots..

Should it not see the 8 Strings (String Dots)? and How do you configure the mouth positions? I did try adjusting the custom settings in prop group and (used) changed position # , that seemed to display a more proper sting when highlighting the grid dot in SS.. Somewhere I am missing a step or two... And is there a defined list for the 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, O, E, AH - mouth positions? I have purchased several Incan singing faces and managed to snag the singing trees from LOR...

Thanks In Advance For pointing me in the right direction... Sorry if post is stepping on OP's Topic...

Edited by Jimehc

2 hours ago, dibblejr said:

There is really to much to cover when it comes to gains using S5 over S4

once you get started uou will see.

since you already know PE you will have an advantage over those of us who didnt

JR

Thanks JR

• Like 1