Light-O-Rama Forums

problems opening music seq. in vista

John Hutchinson

Having just joined the mad bunch of light heads with my new lor 64 channel. Im tryin to open a new musical seq. on my laptop it has vista and it will not load any music even from the disc drive (no items match) keeps commig up:( Im not the smartest at computors so I would be gratefull for any help. Im runnin on v2,0,16

What format is the music? LOR reads wave and mp3. The most common problem with mp3 is those with DRM protection (itunes for example). Another common problem is mp3's encoded with variable bit rate (though I don't think this is your problem).

If you have a drm problem, there are many solutions.

There is a free program called audacity (you will need the mp3 lame encoder as well) that can change from VBR to CBR (constant bit rate). It can also convert mp3 to wave.

As Chuck asked, please provide a bit more information.

Hello everyone, I've been trying to add music to the LOR Music Sequence Editor direct from my computers disc drive ie. Christmas cd. I had been successful installing music from itunes on my (non vista) computer with the demo package. But when I tried to load the same music onto my laptop (with vista) no such luck. I did not know the system only took mp3 or wave (please explain what wave is) told I was a novice on the computer

First of all its WAV not WAVE like I originally typed.

In basic terms a WAV file is a digital representation of music. This is done my sampling the audio waves. CD quality sampling is typically done at 44,100 times per second, each channel being sampled with 2 bytes (16 bits). There are higher sampling rates. A one minute song provides about 10megs of digital information. These files are rather large.

MP3 is a compression format that greatly reduces the data size.

Did this previously work on another computer running XP? Now you have a Vista lappy? If so, the file directories might have changed.

Do you know were your music is on your laptop? You will have to redirect LOR to it edit - media file. You might want to consider either moving or copying the audio file into the audio file under LOR in your documents.

Let us know if this gets you any closer.

Thanks a million guys, after you made me realize the music has to be converted before putting it into the sequence editor I downloaded a christmas song from Limewire and hey presto it all worked :):) HAPPY DAYS :):)

Sounds like this problem has been resolved, but just to clear something up: MP3 and WAV are not the only things that LOR can handle. It should be able to handle the following:

Audio:

• AIF (*.aif, *.aifc, *.aiff)
  • MIDI (*.mid, *.midi, *.rmi)
  • MPEG Audio (*.mp2, *.mp3, *.mpa)
  • Sound (*.au, *.snd)
  • WAV (*.wav)
  • Windows Media Audio (*.wma)
Video:
  • AVI (*.avi)
  • MPEG Video (*.mpe, *.mpeg, *.mpg, *.m1v)
  • Windows Media Video (*.asf, *.wm, *.wmv)

Note, though, that not all features are supported for all of these. For example, the MIDI Wizard is only available for MIDI files; the Beat Wizard, VU Wizard, and Wave Form Display are only available for MP3, WAV, and WMA.

And as noted above, there may be ways that a file won't work with LOR - for example, perhaps files with certain types of DRM won't work.

• 2 years later...

What do you mean "best format for video" ?

The video formats supported by LOR are listed in post 7

What do you want to do with the video ?

I have a favorite video format that I prefer. Someone else may prefer a different video format.

So define "best"

brownjm74 wrote:

Does anyone have a suggestion of a "free" software for converting WAV. files to MP3?

You can download one here from DVD VideoSoft: (these folks have a lot of really great editing/conversion and video downloading software available and it is ALL 100% FREE! No registrations, no fees, no charges! Absolutely, positively FREE!

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/free-dvd-video-software-download.htm

Scroll down until you see the heading:

Free video and audio conversion software

Under this heading, the 6th program down is the one you want. then click on it to download the software, below is the converter you want. EDIT: The below software name (in blue) IS clickable, so just click on it to download the FREE AUDIO CONVERTER!

Free Audio Converter 2.3.2

The above program can convert from AAC, OGG, WAV, WMA, MP3, and quite a few more, just can't recall all the formats. But it usually always gets the job done for me and you can BATCH a lot of files for conversion at one time.

I use a lot of their software along with many of the commercial programs I have. Highly recommend them, their programs work very well and I've never had any issues with them.

John Hutchinson wrote:

Thanks a million guys, after you made me realize the music has to be converted before putting it into the sequence editor I downloaded a christmas song from Limewire and hey presto it all worked ;):) HAPPY DAYS :D:) 

Hi John, just be warned, not only is downloading music from Limewire illegal, but you WILL get viruses and bad things there. I am an IT guy, and there are many other IT people here who can back me up, but you are far better paying $1 for a song than you are paying $150 for virus removal.

Orville wrote:

brownjm74 wrote:
Does anyone have a suggestion of a "free" software for converting WAV. files to MP3?

You can download one here from DVD VideoSoft: (these folks have a lot of really great editing/conversion and video downloading software available and it is ALL 100% FREE! No registrations, no fees, no charges! Absolutely, positively FREE!

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/free-dvd-video-software-download.htm

Scroll down until you see the heading:

Free video and audio conversion software

Under this heading, the 6th program down is the one you want. then click on it to download the software, below is the converter you want. EDIT: The below software name (in blue) IS clickable, so just click on it to download the FREE AUDIO CONVERTER!

Free Audio Converter 2.3.2

The above program can convert from AAC, OGG, WAV, WMA, MP3, and quite a few more, just can't recall all the formats. But it usually always gets the job done for me and you can BATCH a lot of files for conversion at one time.

I use a lot of their software along with many of the commercial programs I have. Highly recommend them, their programs work very well and I've never had any issues with them.

Orville,

Thanks so much, I riped several cd's and I accidentally did them in .wav format and not MP3. Now Zara Radio will be able to play them. So far everything is working great!

Jim Saul wrote:

John Hutchinson wrote:
Thanks a million guys, after you made me realize the music has to be converted before putting it into the sequence editor I downloaded a christmas song from Limewire and hey presto it all worked :D:) HAPPY DAYS :D:)

Hi John, just be warned, not only is downloading music from Limewire illegal, but you WILL get viruses and bad things there. I am an IT guy, and there are many other IT people here who can back me up, but you are far better paying $1 for a song than you are paying $150 for virus removal.

I have to agree a MILLION % here with what Jim has stated. Limewire IS NOT a safe harbor to download music from. My nephew used to use that service and I kept telling him sooner or later, he would regret it.

Now his computer is dead and requires not only a new Hard Drive, now he's going to have to buy a new motherboard as well. He got hit with something from that service and it literally destroyed his motherboards BIOS to the point of no repair. So now he literally will have to replace his entire computer system because of all this mess.

Now he says, "I sure wish I'd learn to listen when folks tell me NOT to use certain websites for things like MP3 files."

I will only download them from sites I know and trust like CDBaby, Amazon and those websites that are direct to the musicians site where they may offer their music either free or for a small cost, usually around .99¢. And I'd rather spend that .99¢ on a SAFE MP3 file as opposed to getting it from one of those Limewire type music services that far too often contain virii that can and will go as far to destroy your computer, which in turn, could possibly even destroy your controllers if they are connected, after all, these "firmware" virii are the most dangerous and the most lethal when it comes to rendering hardware completely useless AND irrepairable!

So I can't even begin to stress the importance of getting your MP3's from a source that is safe and won't do your system any harm.

brownjm74 wrote:

Orville,

Thanks so much, I riped several cd's and I accidentally did them in .wav format and not MP3. Now Zara Radio will be able to play them. So far everything is working great!

Glad I could be of help. I do so much of this type stuff, I usually know where most of the "FREEBIES" are for converting audio and video files like that.

Sorry I meant to say WMA file not WAV file. Just a clarification for those who use Zara Radio. However I don't know if Zara will or will not play WAV files.