Light-O-Rama Forums

X-10 MODULES

tkhowse

I'm having trouble adding X-10 modules to my display. They do not seem to function with LOR software as documented.

(I'm using LOR S2 software, and the basic X-10 Computer Interface Model CM11A plugged into the COM1 port using Windows 2000.)

How do I diagnose the problem? :)

Any help would be appreciated.

X10 debugging, this can get interesting.

Did you assign the comm port via the hardware utility?

Did you try to control your module on the same circuit that the CM11 is plugged into?

Is the CM11 on the same circuit as your computer or other appliances (including power strips, wall warts, refrigerators, etc)? X10 is extremely sensitive to line noise and these devices can introduce a lot of noise.

Unless you have a phase coupler, you will want the CM11 to be on the same phase as the module.

I use an ESM1 signal meter to track down my X10 issues. I found that the certain devices will literally suck the X10 signal right out of the line (this happened with my fish tank lighting). The cure is to purchase X10 filters.

To get serious with X10, a repeater/coupler attached to your main panel is the way to go. Some people have had luck with a plug in repeater/coupler that works off a 220 outlet (dryer). Coupler only is not very effective.

There is a good forum on PC for X10 http://talk.planetchristmas.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25

There is also a good forum on remote central (though probably not too much with LOR) http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/rc-x10/list.cgi

Great idea...sounds like you have some great experience.

I assigned the port to COM1 via the LOR hardware utility.

I have two X-10's is pluged into the same outlet as the interface module...inches away from it and they still will not trigger. Then I plugged a manual x-10 controller into the same outlet and it works fine. So then I plugged an old serial mouse into the com1 port to test it and that works okay proving the port is good.

So I'm not sure what to try next.

OK, so it sounds like your X10 issue is with LOR and I am going to have to take a pass and I don't use X10 with LOR yet (waiting for the USB update).

I am sure someone will be along shortly to help. Might want to post on PC as well. OLDCQR is very knowledgeable on X10.

I am not familiar with X10, but thought I would throw out some basic computer items.

Have you ever tried to control X10 via the computer, before trying with LOR?

Was that successful? If not, was there some drivers that needed to be loaded on the computer when you attached the x10 interface module?

Chuck

I use X10 in my display with no problems running last year on my Win2K show machine. Since that machine is not available right now, I just tested the X10 with a WinXP machine a few minutes ago and it works fine. Please xxcuse me if the following sounds simplistic. I assume you are using the hardware utility to test the functionallity of the modules, you clicked on the Init Unit button and the house code matches the module's house code?

Mark

tkhowse wrote:

Perhaps I do need a driver. I have a new computer and cannot find driver software but will look around.

You don't need an additional X-10 driver with LOR since it communicates directly to the CM11A.

Marl

I think that LOR has grabbed COM1 first and is not giving it to X10.... The Hardware Utility is not fond of there not being a LOR Port so if you do not have a spare port to point LOR to then go into the Sequence Editor, Click Edit->Preferences->Network Preferences and set LOR network to NONE, Dasher to NONE and then X10 to com1... Exit the Sequence Editor and start the hardware Utility. You will get an error when it starts just ignore it.