Light-O-Rama Forums

squirrels chewing wires

mike and patti

We live in Florida and the squirrel population is thriving. They decided to start chewing my cords, this is a real problem. Has anyone else dealt with this? How can We keep them from chewing our wires?!!!!!!!!!

Mike and Patti with 128 LOR channels

PLEASE - don't just shoot them!

There are many available alternatives to just killiing animals. They have just as much right to be on this planet as humans do. We are nothing more than just another species on this world.

I would suggest that you contact a local wildlife organization, rehabber, or any local office of wildlife management and ask them for advice on helping with this problem.

There are many animal scents that are repulsive to other species that could be used and some spices that also will deter animals from bothering things.

The squirrels are just doing what comes naturally to them. YOU have provided them with something of interest to investigate, so they did not create this problem.

And yes I am a rehabber and have seen the terrible things that people can do to animals. I already know that the squirrels and raccoons that I have that live around me will probably do some damage to my display, but I am ready to live with that although I am taking some measures to keep them from doing more damage than necessary.

All God's creatures are here for a reason, not just us. I somewhat thought that part of the reason we decorate is to celebrate life is it not?

Bill

I'm with toymakr000. Squirrel stew is awesome! And, yes, animals are here for a reason... to be food.

Squirrels here are a nightmare. I've had them eat through the facia, make nests in the attic, and ruin the ceiling with the messes they make. I used a crossman pellet gun to take care of the problem. Just make sure you know what is behind where you are aiming.

Go to your local feed & seed store, or home impovement store. They have some repellent you can put around your yard. I think it's fox urine. Don't know how well it works, but I will have to try this year. Last year they ate my wires too.

Don't worry I'm not going to shoot them, I was asking for advice on how to detour them from chewing wires thats all. The fox urine might work if it doesn't smell offensive to us, any help would be good. Thanks

Aunt Bethany: What's that sound? You hear it? It's a funny squeaky sound.
Uncle Lewis: You couldn't hear a dump truck driving through a nitroglycerin plant.

Clark: [a squirrel is loose in the house] Where is Eddie? He usually eats these goddam things.
Cousin Catherine Johnson: Not recently, Clark. He read that squirrels were high in cholesterol.

Clark: Russ, go get the hammer.
Ellen: Clark, what do you need a hammer for?
Clark: I'm gonna catch it in the coat... And smack it with the hammer.

Keep the squirrels feed during Christmas, if they are not hungry then they will not be chewing on the wires.

We feed them Deer corn, $7.00-$9.00 for a fifty pound bag.

Dennis Cherry wrote:

Keep the squirrels feed during Christmas, if they are not hungry then they will not be chewing on the wires.

We feed them Deer corn, $7.00-$9.00 for a fifty pound bag.

Now that's a good idea. PUt food in one area and spray the wires. That should solve your entire problem.

Gary

Mountainwxman wrote:

Sounds like the squrrels have a lead deficiency. :P

No they need more copper in their diet.

• 3 weeks later...

So how many squirrels can you have on one controller before it takes out the fuse. Or should I say , how much resistance does one squirrel possess. Oh and will they fade.

Paul C wrote:

So how many squirrels can you have on one controller before it takes out the fuse. Or should I say , how much resistance does one squirrel possess. Oh and will they fade.

HA!

Feeding them away from the display is the way. I had racoons eating my fake indian corn this halloween. That was the whole reason I got the fake indian corn this year because they ate all of the real corn last year!!! I have to find that 50 pound bag of feed mentioned earlier, and just leave the whole thing out back.

Yes, I'd imagine 120v pretty much spells death for Mr. squirrel, so leave a few lights energized here and there...problem solved. :D Just hope squirrel meat offers enough resistance as to not short out your controllers...err...on second thought maybe you should just try the corn.