Light-O-Rama Forums

Outlining house eaves, questions

flomas

12 hours ago, dibblejr said:

No, the ws2811 (rectangle housing) 5050 chip. Each pixel is RGB , 3 pixels per section. Nothing changes in sequencing. 50 of those sequence as 50 nodes but = 150 at the end. 

We wont discuss pi, my findings and feelings about pi are well written and been beat to death. 

Let me find my Halloween repair video where you can get an up close look. Gimme a sec, will add to this. In the video each one of those nodes are RGB, not like a strip.

JR

Ah....ok.  Never thought of using them.  Hiding the wire becomes an issue, I would think, but some white paint would fix that.  Can you get those in "strings', or do you end up having to connect each one?

21 minutes ago, Dcroc said:

Ah....ok.  Never thought of using them.  Hiding the wire becomes an issue, I would think, but some white paint would fix that.  Can you get those in "strings', or do you end up having to connect each one?

They are strings of 20. As far as hiding wire, if anyone looks at my house in the daylight they cant even see the lights unless they know what they are looking for. Def no chance in seeing the wires. 

JR

crap weather this past weekend, hoping for good enough so I can bust the ladder out and take measurements. 

Another question regarding mount area, on my straight runs I have gutters, 3 straights. anyone who has gutters and are outlined, above the gutter or below the gutter? on my gutters there's a bout a two inch lip underneath the gutter.
I was thinking under gutter, parallel with the bottom of the facia board, just wanted to see if I can see what everyone's preference's are and reasoning for doing above or below gutter.

Thanks!

This photo is showing the facia board, but for the gutter I did similar.  I have the lights mounted to 1x2 wooden strips.  I have upper and lower lights so I can make the lights appear to hop.  As usual, if your browser does not display the images, there are links to them below each image.

GECE_dual_mounting_end.jpg

http://www.newburghlights.org/photos/GECE_dual_mounting_end.jpg

The strips have screw in hooks and there are eye screws into the wood.  For the ones on the gutter, it is an eye bolt through the metal of the gutter just below the top of the gutter.  The hooks make it very fast and easy to install and remove.

GECE_mounting_2.jpg

http://www.newburghlights.org/photos/GECE_mounting_2.jpg

45 minutes ago, KYHI said:

Are those magnetic C9 Bulb clips ?? Link ??

I assume that was directed to me.  Those are General Electric Color Effects bulbs.  They are slightly smaller than a C9 bulb.  They came in stings up to 50 bulbs with their own little controller that would do a few pre-canned effects.  Long ago, the pixel controller builders reverse engineered the protocol and added that capability to most pixel controllers.  I have 212 of them on my eves and just under 200 on my roofline.  They have not been made in quite a few years.

They came with a plastic clip on base piece (the white part at the bottom of each bulb), and L shaped clip that had a spiral thing so it could clip onto a gutter.  I cut off the spiral and screw the L shaped piece to the piece of 1x2 wood strip.  On the L shaped clip, there is a button on both the top and bottom side at the end, and a mating keyhole on the base piece - intended so you could mount the bulb above or below the L shaped piece.  I use both buttons.  It puts a fair amount of weight on the little L shaped piece, but they work.  One major issue is that the plastic is seriously NOT UV resistant.  I have to replace dozens of them every year.

I am going to something else this year because of that issue.

Two other notes about the GECE bulbs.  The data protocol is fairly slow so you can go long distance from the controller, but they don't handle fast transitions very well.  And you can not exceed 64 lights in the string.

For magnet mounts, Mattos Designs sells some.  Their site is currently down (being upgraded) but found a link here: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3934920796526290/?ref=product_details&referral_code=null

Check out the picture of one of these holding a bucket of screws.  Just attach the disk to your house and the other to your prop and it just snaps in place.