Light-O-Rama Forums

Seeking Traffic Control Suggestions

CardsFan

By far our display has had the most traffic since we started in 2008.  For the most part, folks view the show from the opposite side of the street.  However, there are a few bone heads that plant their car right in front of the house and blocking the folks who are parked across the street.  This leads to honking horns.  The horns bother us, can't imagine what our wonderful neighbors are thinking. 

We thought about putting traffic cones in the street right in front of the house.  Before buying the cones, I thought I would see what others have done to try keep this from happening.

46 minutes ago, CardsFan said:

By far our display has had the most traffic since we started in 2008.  For the most part, folks view the show from the opposite side of the street.  However, there are a few bone heads that plant their car right in front of the house and blocking the folks who are parked across the street.  This leads to honking horns.  The horns bother us, can't imagine what our wonderful neighbors are thinking. 

We thought about putting traffic cones in the street right in front of the house.  Before buying the cones, I thought I would see what others have done to try keep this from happening.

Just pull the plug for a few minutes. I've done it once and not had to again however when I seen the same annoying car pull up a bit later I killed the show, maybe they got the hint. Its a 330' walk to the street so not an option. That was a while back and have not had to repeat.

I have been asked why my show ends at 9 pm Sunday through Thursday - my answer, I have neighbors. My neighbors tell me they have never been bothered by my show.

JR

This year our show had more traffic because of the news story.  I am always outside to say hello and answer questions ,most people are nice and understand others want to see the show also, I do ask people not to stop smack in the front of the house and to turn their lites off.  The other nite I had a guy in a very tricked out Jeep wrangler stop crossways of the street, blocking both ways I asked nicely if he could move so people coming into the neighborhood could get by, he politely told me where &^%*$# to go.   So I went to the other cars and told them to hang on and I went in and shut it down. Didnt take long ,he left . I restarted.  He hasn't been back,if I see him I will do same thing .  Don't mess with a 70 year old yall !!!!!

David

• Haha 3

I relate to the bonehead guest.  Actually TWO KINDS of boneheads.

First bonehead    "Oblivious to all others" stops in the middle of the road or parks stupidly.       I put a sign on a tree which says "Parking here blocks the view of others".      

Second bonehead "Too polite to move forward"  leaving big gaps and unused spots.             Another sign says.    "Drive around cars not moving to fill in the empty spots"  

3 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Just pull the plug for a few minutes. I've done it once and not had to again however when I seen the same annoying car pull up a bit later I killed the show, maybe they got the hint. Its a 330' walk to the street so not an option. That was a while back and have not had to repeat.

I have been asked why my show ends at 9 pm Sunday through Thursday - my answer, I have neighbors. My neighbors tell me they have never been bothered by my show.

JR

This week I had a big intentional bonehead.   My 24 foot sign says view show from far side of street  every 5 minutes or so in four foot letters!    So this guy was not moving.   I sent him an additional message on the sign to pull around which he didnt     SO I turned off the sound.  He did not move as I observed via the LORex cameras.  Several other people did leave.  After about two minutes which is forever to me.  He pulled away and I turned on sound immediately so he KNEW it was him stopping the show.   Someone shamed him with a message on the board.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

This week I had a big intentional bonehead.   My 24 foot sign says view show from far side of street  every 5 minutes or so in four foot letters!    So this guy was not moving.   I sent him an additional message on the sign to pull around which he didnt     SO I turned off the sound.  He did not move as I observed via the LORex cameras.  Several other people did leave.  After about two minutes which is forever to me.  He pulled away and I turned on sound immediately so he KNEW it was him stopping the show.   Someone shamed him with a message on the board.

Cameras are very helpful along with the motion sensors so when a car person comes across my grass. LOL

I have to start using the MIIP to its potential with the announcements, haven't tried yet though Phil helped me. Just didn't want to try it during show time.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

• The topic was locked