Light-O-Rama Forums

DMX512 how does it work?

hunter

Hello,

I am trying to add DMX controlled devices to my show next year. I would like to add Moving Head Wash Led Lights to my show. Thy use stander 3 pin dmx connectors and I don't have any idea where to start. In S5 there is a DMX tab but i don't know where to start.

PLEASE help

You have options:

1.  Purchase a DMX Adapter like this.  Or some Enttec compatible adapter.
2.  Use a device/bridge that will convert the LOR Protocol to DMX, that being the IDMX1000.
3.  Use a device/bridge that will convert E1.31 protocol to DMX.  From LOR the Pixcon16 would perform this conversion.  There are many other vendors that will sell you devices that will bridge E1.31 to DMX.

- Once you have selected the way you are going to supply the DMX signal to your devices you need to appropriately configure the LOR Network Settings .  Go to he LOR help file and search for DMX.  There you will find content on assigning the universe(s) to devices.
- Create the appropriate cable(s) to connect your devices.   Pinout information typically accompanies whatever hardware option you choose to supply DMX.
- Create a preview with your device/prop information (e.g. Universe and channel(s)) and sequence away.

Or, you can use a spare black LOR adaptor or buy one, on a second com port and a crossover cable and be done. I have six moving heads connected that way and they run flawlessly. The first link of MR p's above gives you the pinout.

• Thanks 1

• The topic was locked