Light-O-Rama Forums

White Screen of Death

George Simmons

Hi All,

Does anyone else experience what I've come to call the white screen of death?

For me, that's been occuring more and more often upon opening the sequence editor. Before the software finishes loading, the screen goes white and S2 quits responding. Task Manager goes through all the motions of shutting the software down, but the images don't disappear and the only way to rid my screen of them, or to restart the sequence editor, is to re-boot the machine.

At first, it would happen when I maximized the software the next day after having left it running dormant overnight. I did that for months with no problems, and I thought for a while that maybe some update to Windows (XP) or to my anti-virus software (CA) was causing it, or that it was being caused by the daily virus scan or something like that. But then it started happening more and more often, sometimes within the same sequencing session, if I minimized the window to do a little surfing or to play a game of solitaire or something.

Last night, I re-booted as needed, sequenced for a while and then closed the sequence editor. (I have LOR control panel running in the system tray, but I typically start the sequence editor from a desktop icon.) A minute later, I remembered something I wanted to change in the sequence and re-opened the sequence editor and it happened again. Pretty much rules out the virus/adware scan theory...

Does anyone have an idea? Sometimes when I'm sequencing, using the play visible window and move grid options, the grid flashes to white when I push the play button. It seems to play alright, but you can't see anything in the grid because it's white. Are these two glitches related? Beyond the inconvenience of constantly rebooting, I'm concerned if this will affect the show?

Actually, it's hanging when I either open the sequence editor or maximize it. It doesn't happen every time, but is increasing in frequency. (Ironically, since I originally posted my problem it hasn't hung once.) Nor does it seem to make any difference whether I already have a sequence open, in the case of maximizing it from the tray. It has happened both when starting the program from a desktop icon and when starting it from the LOR tray.

What happens after task manager "closes" the program is that the on-screen images don't go away and I have to reboot the machine to be able to clear the desktop and to be able to restart the sequence editor. Thanks.

George

could be a result of low video memory - I had the same issues on an old laptop last year ( only had 4mb of video ram)

I dont get the same issues on my current computers