Light-O-Rama Forums

Has anybody ever wired non light items to controllers?

mark@joshuasystems.com

I have several things like spiral trees, polar bears, etc. that I want to turn on and off as the songs turn on when the show starts. Rather than using timers, I attempted to plug them to a controller, programmed them all to the On position and added the controller to the sequences. Sometimes it works sometimes it won't. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I have 10 controllers total, this one is controller 10. Any help would be appreciated.

"Sometimes" is the hardest thing to troubleshoot.

1. Check your license. (You're good there.)

2. Make sure you don't have any conflicting channels. If by some chance you are running a music and an animation at the same time (maybe via the background tab?) then you could have conflicting channels. It's not good enough to leave them blank, you need to have them OUT of the 'other' sequence. If you have two sequences playing at the same time, with the same channels configured, even off commands, it could confuse the hardware/software about who is supposed to do what.

What are you trying to control, and what is the power draw from those?

I have some small fans hooked up to a couple channels on a DC controller.  Been that way for years and get used 365 days a year.

• 1 month later...

Isn't there a setting that disables fades and effects on channels for things that will be simple on/off (switched) and can't have voltage variance?  

I thought that was for things like fans and other non dimmables to avoid damage.

2 hours ago, Wingrider said:

Isn't there a setting that disables fades and effects on channels for things that will be simple on/off (switched) and can't have voltage variance?  

I thought that was for things like fans and other non dimmables to avoid damage.

Yes there is in some circumstances.  In S5, you can set that in the Preview.  For Gen 3 AC controllers you can set dimming curves to accomplish that.

Of course, you can just do it yourself and sequence channels as on vs off only.  That's the way I have a few channels that are either full on or off (a relay and a couple fans).

Fades are not the only things (dimming curve) to avoid. IF it has electronics, DO not jerk those around with fast ON/off's. by fast, I mean cycles shorter than minutes. Turning ON is the hardest on anything.

Remember those room lights that went pop as you flipped the switch? room temp >>1000's NOW

Relays are a great way to switch bigger loads than the TRIAC can handle. NO CMB24/16? Use an AC coil relay from your AC controller

Edited by TheDucks

I used to have at least 20 inflatables all controlled by 2 controllers. I never experienced this problem.

Of course I had to time them so that I knew how long it took to inflate- after a deflation and sequence accordingly.

for my blow molds they came on as needed.

JR

I've ran a G-Scale Locomotive {complete with sound system installed, smoke and lights}, Christmas Music Sound Car and 5 Lighted Passenger cars off my OLDER V2 CTB16PC Controller.  It was connected to the outdoor train power pack then the DC output from the power pack to the railroad tracks using off and on commands.  I also ran some AC Motorized Deer from the same controller, the deer lights were on separate channels {2 channels per Deer}.  The train power pack AC plug was plugged into Channel 1, Deer on Channels 2, 3, 4 and 5, 6, 7. 8 and 9.   Ran for 5 hours a night for almost 3 months during the Christmas Season.  Never had a single issue,   The newer G3 Controllers are probably much better suited for this now, but I still use my old CTB16OC V2's to control AC motors and sometimes my Christmas Train {if I use it}.   Again, never been an issue fir me.  

P.S. I did always unplug the train if wet weather may be a factor, forgot to do that once, and it did pop the fuse in the controller.  Never forgot to unplug the train if rainy weather was predicted after that one. LOL  And that;s the only fuse I ever replaced in that one controller, 11 years later and all, but the one I had to replace, are still running on their original factory installed fuses!

Edited by Orville
  • Like 1

• The topic was locked