Light-O-Rama Forums

Do you bag your controllers?

Al Saunders

Hey Everyone,

Hope your shows are up and running well. Ours is and we have had a great response from the community! 

I was wondering if any of you cover your controllers with contractor bags like I do. I use the pro grade metal controllers and have either covered them or completely bagged them with a contractor bag after mounting to a wooden bracket I made. This year we added a CCR tree with the pixel star and I have the pixie 4 enclosure and pixie 16 enclosure mounted one under the other and inside a contractor bag. I do have bungee type cords holding the bag close in at the top and bottom of the bag. My question in regards to the pixie enclosures being bagged is, is it ok that not as much ventilation gets to the whole setup? I know all the controllers are weather tight and rather waterproof standing upright but i like to keep them in nice condition. We are in MD so heat this time of year isn't a concern. 

Thanks,

Al

Heat isn't an issue this time of year in WI either, so I always cover my controllers with black plastic bags as an added layer of protection against Mother Nature, and to also conceal the controllers.

I bag all of mine, pixel and AC. I also tuck all my connections up inside as well. Let's me use JST connectors, since they stay dry and warm.

I'm in TN, so it might be 70 or 5 degrees during the season, or both.

I hear the fans run sometimes, but not often 

I too bag most of my exposed controllers. The remaining are tucked under a wooden structure holding up a pixel tree. The structure is then covered with outdoor rug/fake-grass. Its not waterproof but it does well with hiding the controllers. I also hang a huge red bow on the front just to make it look nicer.

The only controllers that are exposed are the CCP controllers for my arches.  I put black trash bags over them and hold the bag down with a brick.  A couple of them are just a couple feet from lawn sprinklers and this is So. California, so the sprinklers run all year.  The AC power plugs and pixel string connectors are zip tied to the wooden stakes that hold the controllers so they are not in the grass.

I have never bagged any of my controllers and this is my 9th year with controllers. I live in Illinois so we get rain, wind, and snow which none of these have ever been an issue for me. I say do whatever you feel like doing. I don't think bagging them is necessary but that's me.

I put mine in bins which is normally sufficient.  This year I bagged the bins as several of them are getting old and have a few cracks (and I didn't have time to just replace the bin).  

I agree - get the largest size bag you can. 

Thanks everyone. I like putting the controllers in bags just to keep them in good condition. I guess my only slight concern was the plastic enclosures for the pixie 4 and pixie 16 controllers. I just didn't know if restricting the airflow would affect them. My CCR tree and pixel star are working great and I have only heard once or twice the fan on the Pixie 16 controller. 

So I think I'm good to go. 😁

Again, thanks for everyone's input. 

Al

The Cableguard  and LOR enclosures are designed to be used outside. The do need to be vertical mounted so the now-watertite connections are above ground.

The 1 controller case that developed cracks, was U-bolt mounted  to a pipe. That must have twisted the case 'just enough', that it started to crack near the bolt holes.

I have about 40 controllers out and none of them are bagged. They are out from from the beginning of October to Mid January and never had any issues. My landscape controllers are out 365 and no issues with water there either. 

• 2 weeks later...

I only have one controller exposed to the elements and it is in the grey plastic bin that it is stored in, with the lid on.  The pigtails and extension cord ends are in the bin as well.   That system has worked well for me; even after a heavy Florida rain, everything inside is bone-dry.

I mounted three controllers  to the front of the house two feet off the ground behind the land scape ,   two on wall at the front porch, one behind the waving Santa and one just at the steps which I made a wood enclosure to cover it ,with the cord coming out each side at the bottom, then one at the wire tree rack which I put in a plastic box with a locking lid and its is under the rack hidden behind the bushes. You cant see any of these or any cords . I solved the problem with the wire trees tripping the GFCI, they are mounted on 1/4 wood  a rack which is painted flat black, that holds all five  20 inches off the ground behind the bushes ,from the front they look like they are sitting on the bushes.  HMMMMM all ready planning next year , YES !

David