Light-O-Rama Forums

Asking: Best way to load S4 sequence to S5 when network details changed

Jay Czerwinski

I upgraded to S5 and have set up my Visualizer to match what is in the yard - Network and channels.     Some items changed to different controllers and channels based on my new yard layout from last year. 

When I load S4 file - there are a ton of items that are now unmatched to the visualizer file, although they are all represented in the visualizer file under different controllers and channels.

What is the best way to get the old unmatched items to line up with the new items in my S5 visualizer?      I know of a few ways to do this with more/less labor, but thought I would reach out to the pros for a hope to save some time.  

Thank you in advance for you help and direction.

Jay

It's now called the Preview in S5, and, yes your sequence and preview must match exactly.

There are several options when you import S4 into S5. Using your old Vis file is one of the ways to create your preview but it should be an exact match to your S4 sequence.

You can also let the S5 program try to create its best guess for the new Preview..

You can try both and see which works best or you can create a brand new preview from scratch similar to making a Vis in S4.

The difference is that the Preview is also your configuration, so it has to be right.

You also still need to set your Network Preferences.

In the Previews window, make a copy of the preview with your current setup. Now change the copy to match the channel settings in the files you are upgrading. Use the copy to upgrade your S4 sequences - if you got all of the channel assignments right, there shouldn't be any unmatched. Then, with the upgraded sequence open, select Sequence > Assign Different Preview from the menu. Props that are the same in the 2 previews should automatically match.

Matt

1 hour ago, PhilMassey said:

It's now called the Preview in S5, and, yes your sequence and preview must match exactly.

There are several options when you import S4 into S5. Using your old Vis file is one of the ways to create your preview but it should be an exact match to your S4 sequence.

You can also let the S5 program try to create its best guess for the new Preview..

You can try both and see which works best or you can create a brand new preview from scratch similar to making a Vis in S4.

The difference is that the Preview is also your configuration, so it has to be right.

You also still need to set your Network Preferences.

My bad - I meant Preview.   I will never make that mistake again!  ;-)      Thanks for the feedback!

1 hour ago, MattBrown said:

In the Previews window, make a copy of the preview with your current setup. Now change the copy to match the channel settings in the files you are upgrading. Use the copy to upgrade your S4 sequences - if you got all of the channel assignments right, there shouldn't be any unmatched. Then, with the upgraded sequence open, select Sequence > Assign Different Preview from the menu. Props that are the same in the 2 previews should automatically match.

Matt

Thanks Matt.   This was my #1 guess on which way to go.  I was hoping that there was a hidden command somewhere to avoid the work.  ;-)    Thank you for confirming....  (rolling up sleeves now)