Light-O-Rama Forums

Very weird controller issue question

Kapkirk

On 12/14/2020 at 8:22 AM, Kapkirk said:

dgrant

Is this question for the OP or someone else, if for OP I never remember using the options button. And I don't believe I use compressed sequences but I wouldn't know unless  it is spelled out somewhere.

Keith

Sorry, Yes for the OP. My thought was that if he was trying to load all before playing and his computer was running out of ram, then it would certainly be an issue. I would expect an out of memory error notice  popping up but who knows. I run an older Dell T5500 with 72gb of ram, so I'm not limited in anyway. Oh yes, don't forget that the Windows 10 Home, I think, can only use 4Gb of ram. Must go to Professional to get access to more ram. Just popped into my head so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

On 12/9/2020 at 10:39 AM, Kapkirk said:

it is not hooked up to the internet except when I have to download a song from Amazon for a new sequence. I have not let it update or use the internet any other way, so the way I read you Speedster is I should connect to the internet and update then reboot. It is about 3 years old and running Windows 10 with I think 8GB Ram.

Since you are in my lane, MS will download updates as soon as it see an internet connection... There has never been found a definite way to prevent this with Windows 10... 

MS is still offering Free Windows 10 Upgrades from Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 - thus not need to purchase Windows 10 License...

Been working with the Windows OS for a long time - the 32-Bit (x86) OS has a 4GB Ram limitation - 32Bit can not address the memory above that. Also you will  soon find 32Bit support will end and everything will be 64Bit only..

So Yes, windows 10 has it's faults & Yes, MS is good for pushing them "Forcing them" upon you...

So reboot and allow Windows 10 to do its thing - it will help solve a lot of issues - else it will cause a few more - that is how MS rolls these days..

2 hours ago, dgrant said:

Sorry, Yes for the OP. My thought was that if he was trying to load all before playing and his computer was running out of ram, then it would certainly be an issue. I would expect an out of memory error notice  popping up but who knows. I run an older Dell T5500 with 72gb of ram, so I'm not limited in anyway. Oh yes, don't forget that the Windows 10 Home, I think, can only use 4Gb of ram. Must go to Professional to get access to more ram. Just popped into my head so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

It is a 32 v2 64 bit thing. Not a Home vs Pro. for the 4G (3.2G) limit. Pro has some additional features. When the 7 or 8 upgrades, it keeps your level, but you can click and BUY a level upgrade (the link is at the bottom of the System  info page)

1 hour ago, KYHI said:

Since you are in my lane, MS will download updates as soon as it see an internet connection... There has never been found a definite way to prevent this with Windows 10... 

MS is still offering Free Windows 10 Upgrades from Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 - thus not need to purchase Windows 10 License...

Been working with the Windows OS for a long time - the 32-Bit (x86) OS has a 4GB Ram limitation - 32Bit can not address the memory above that. Also you will  soon find 32Bit support will end and everything will be 64Bit only..

So Yes, windows 10 has it's faults & Yes, MS is good for pushing them "Forcing them" upon you...

So reboot and allow Windows 10 to do its thing - it will help solve a lot of issues - else it will cause a few more - that is how MS rolls these days..

My way of thinking and MS way of thinking just don't match up.

My way- if its not broke lets not fix it (keeping it nice)

MS way- If it works lets make it no longer work.(once again being really nice)

If I was a millionaire firstly I probably would be here typing this but secondly I would seek action for MS invading my computers. They messed up my sequencing computer in an update, of course MS reps blamed in on Dell and Dell blames it on MS. Yet two years later I still have a $1700 laptop sounding like a tin can.

My Sequencing laptop did have an awesome Bose sound system, now it sounds like a radio in a tin can. Been like that for almost 2 years. I kept getting a MS sound update, kept closing it until one day MS decided to install it on its own.

I have been getting the same message on my show Alienware (Dell) laptop for about a year now, so that one stays offline until show time.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Thanks to you all for the help, I am surely computer deficient, I will look after Christmas at a lot of your recommendations, but everything is working right now so I am not going to do anything, I am performing some sequence updating during the day and feel that is as much of a risk I want to take. I have been looking at replacing this laptop for next season and also looking at upgrading to S5.

If I was comfortable that S4 would be around and supported for at least another 3-4 years I would probably not even consider S5, but I am so terrible at the computer thing I think I better at least look at S5, I may just put S5 on the new laptop and move sequences over and see how it goes, and definitely keep the old laptop untouched if possible to keep as a backup that I know works.

Appreciate all the help, Keith

• The topic was locked