Light-O-Rama Forums

Residential light controller

AllAmericanJock

Does the residential 16 channel light controller have overload protection or something of that type? 

Thank you 

1 hour ago, AllAmericanJock said:

Does the residential 16 channel light controller have overload protection or something of that type? 

Thank you 

I'd say yes to a certain degree.  It uses 15Amp 120VAC fast acting quick blow fuses on each channel bank.  But that's about it for any type of overload protection. 

Most issues are blown triacs that either keeps a channel on full or at some intensity level or won't turn a channel on at all.   I've only ever had one fuse blow in one of my CTB16PC AC Controllers, and it protected everything when the fuse blew on the main power side.   Replaced with LOR replacement fuse and everything worked just fine.

Just the fuse:

And Triac failure is not always due to overload (whatever caused it).

Tools to avoid Overload: A KillaWatt or clamp-on  Ammeter (to measure load curents) , a dime store Calculator (to Add up loads when multiple strings).

And very high on the list: The ability to recognize things that should not be connected to dimmers (LOR is a very fancy dimmer). 

On 12/5/2020 at 6:27 AM, TheDucks said:

And very high on the list: The ability to recognize things that should not be connected to dimmers (LOR is a very fancy dimmer). 

10 years ago I had this new fancy LED mini tree that used a 24v transformer. It worked fine connected to a LOR channel until I accidentally put a sequence in my show that dimmed that channel. It worked okay for a little while, but after a night of playing the sequence, the inside of the transformer melted.

The triac was fine.

• The topic was locked