Light-O-Rama Forums

Any preview change will trigger re-compress

k6ccc

Just a little warning for those running S5.  I got caught this evening with an issue of my own doing.  This afternoon I made a change to the preview that all of my Christmas sequences use.  It was a very minor change - I moved one of my singing faces on the screen from where I had originally speculated that it was going to be installed to the place where it actually was installed.  No channel changes were made.  Lo and behold, come show time, and every sequence needed to re-export the new compressed file.  That resulted in several minutes of dark between songs.  I came running inside and quickly figured out what was happening and quickly started compressing songs from both the show computer and the sequencing computer.  Managed to stay ahead of the Show Player (barely).

So, i you make ANY preview change, make sure to re-compress your sequences...

• Thanks 2

Good Info Jim.  I been there. I had that happen Last year . I didn't have a clue what was happening at the time but I figured it out. If I do have to make any changes I make them in the morning and run a Show On Demand right away. Then I walk away for a few hours. that sets everything up and the show goes on without a hitch. Mostly. lol

Hi Jim,

Can you tell me what re-compress sequences is? I was loading an auto sequence Superstar into a sequence and it made the program crash. When I booted the program back up my preview went back to a old preview version from last year. I had a copy of the 2020 preview, dumb me deleted the "weird old version" and now I'm having huge issues. Any help? I may have to ask the LOR help desk.

For the purpose of this discussion, compressing is a play time event - not a sequencing time event.

The first time a sequence plays after any revision, the show player checks the sequence to see if there have been any changes.  If there are changes, then the Show Player will re-create the required play files.  Part of that process is to create the compressed sequence - hence my choice of terms.  For large sequences this can take several minutes.  To avoid that issue, you can use the Sequence Compressor (one of the LOR Utilities) to create the playback files in advance.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2020 at 8:28 AM, k6ccc said:

For the purpose of this discussion, compressing is a play time event - not a sequencing time event.

The first time a sequence plays after any revision, the show player checks the sequence to see if there have been any changes.  If there are changes, then the Show Player will re-create the required play files.  Part of that process is to create the compressed sequence - hence my choice of terms.  For large sequences this can take several minutes.

And in my experience, while the Show Player is re-creating the play files, it stops sending heartbeat signals on the network, which results in channels that are turned on in the background sequence to turn off until it finishes building and the background sequence loops around.

Fortunately, this only happens once per (changed) sequence, per show.