Light-O-Rama Forums

Support for MAC?

MS_Mike

Ok, as I keep getting more and more frustrated with Mr. Gates' patchwork windows software, I am so tempted to move to MAC which always seems to run flawlessly.

The problem, as in all other instances, is that the software is not compatible and the selection of software is much more limited.

The huge question is whether LOR will ever launch software for MAC. If so, I will bail on windows in a heartbeat!

Mike

But if you run Windows don't you have the same old problems with the Windows operating system that everyone has on a PC?

From my experience, Windows is not well written and seems to be patchwork type software that leaves a lot of "junk" files sitting around. Eventually, you have to either clean up the computer (and the registry) to keep the darned thing running.

Wouldn't you have the same problems running the windows operating system even when using a Mac?

Just curious.

I have read that some people are successful in "dual booting XP and OS X". I boot between Linux and Xp for the fun of it, but may change to linux only during the off season.

MS_Mike wrote:

But if you run Windows don't you have the same old problems with the Windows operating system that everyone has on a PC?

From my experience, Windows is not well written and seems to be patchwork type software that leaves a lot of "junk" files sitting around. Eventually, you have to either clean up the computer (and the registry) to keep the darned thing running.

Wouldn't you have the same problems running the windows operating system even when using a Mac?

Just curious.

Hmmm, I guess different folks have different experiences. Every since I started using Windows in 1990, I haven't had a single thing to complain about. Every version has worked flawlessly for me, and I'm on the computer 5 hours a day. Maybe it is something with the way you are using it.

Having said that, I recently helped a friend gett LOR up and running on his new iMac and LOR works nicely in the Windows partition.

Richard Hamilton wrote:

Every since I started using Windows in 1990, I haven't had a single thing to complain about. Every version has worked flawlessly for me, and I'm on the computer 5 hours a day. Maybe it is something with the way you are using it.

Has Bill Gates & Co. been sending you some "special" Kool-aid? :P

Right, but you're only using it for LOR and whatever other Windows-only apps you might need. For internet, email, word-processing, etc., you can stick with MacOS...

-Tim

Tim Fischer wrote:

Richard Hamilton wrote:
Every since I started using Windows in 1990, I haven't had a single thing to complain about. Every version has worked flawlessly for me, and I'm on the computer 5 hours a day. Maybe it is something with the way you are using it.

Has Bill Gates & Co. been sending you some "special" Kool-aid? :P
-Tim

Gee Tim, how did you know? Not only that, he has been sending me some quite tasty brownies with the Kool-aid? Every since that time, I've been seeing brilliant colour trails of Windows Logos and I've had a urge to bow toward Washington and pray.

Actually, I think I just understand software well and know how to stay away from the pitfalls. You make the best point about the fact that he's using it for LOR. Little liklihood of interaction with something else. Being a software engineer as you are, I'm sure you understand what I am about to say, but most people don't.

Ms_Mike, the real source of problem you may have had or heard others having with Windows is likely not the operating system at all, but is due to the poorly written software or installation programs created by the companies distributing their software. Practically every time I've had to go to a software company and help them out of a jam, it is because they did something really stupid with their software or installer that has caused interaction issues with other software. The end user often misunderstands and writes off the problem to the operating system. I've seem some really crazy software problems on Mac and Windows.

MS_Mike wrote:

The huge question is whether LOR will ever launch software for MAC. If so, I will bail on windows in a heartbeat!

Oh Mike, I guess I never answered the actual question. I can't speak for LOR, but I am in regular communication (and sometimes do work) with 4 software companies here in silicon valley. On practically every project where they were planning to do a Mac version of some software last year, they cancelled the development. There were two reasons. One is to conserve development dollars in a very difficult economy. What allows them to drop the Mac project is that they won't lose any business in their view. All of the new Macs will also run Windows software every since Apple moved to the Intel class of processers a couple years ago. Thus, I don't see why LOR would need to make a Mac version.