Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR 5.5.x is playing all my .LOREDIT sequences at the same time

Star Lord

I just got my lights installed around my house and yard and fired up a show in LOR version 5.5.14.  It literally started playing ALL 10 songs at the same time.  Has anyone experienced this in version 5?  It plays one song just fine.  However, when I add two or more songs, whether I use the Scheduler or Show On Demand, it tries to play them all instead of one at a time.   I thought it might have been version 5.5.14, so I downgraded to version 5.5.6 and I experience the same thing.

Thanks,

James

In the Show Editor, do you have the musical sequences placed in the Musical tab or could you have put them in either the background or animation tabs?

• Thanks 1

Thank you k6ccc, that fixed it!  (I placed the sequences in the background tab).  Hopefully my silly mistake here will help someone else. 

Edited by Star Lord

57 minutes ago, Star Lord said:

Thank you k6ccc, that fixed it!  (I placed the sequences in the background tab).

That will do it!

Glad I was able to help and it was an easy fix.

Can someone tell me briefly how these other tabs would/ could be used (Background/ animation)?  I would like to have some/all of my lights ON or doing something when a show is not playing so my wife can enjoy them.  what is the best way to do that.  i have seen the background and animation tabs but dont know how to use them yet.  

49 minutes ago, Dr_Aplet said:

Can someone tell me briefly how these other tabs would/ could be used (Background/ animation)?  I would like to have some/all of my lights ON or doing something when a show is not playing so my wife can enjoy them.  what is the best way to do that.  i have seen the background and animation tabs but dont know how to use them yet.  

Get some ideas here: https://www.lorfaq.com/show-scheduling-example-2/

Sure.

Background:  A background sequence or sequences will play for the entire time that the show is running.  This most likely would only have a few channels, but might include things like a tune to sign, blowers for inflatables, lights on a flagpole.

Startup:  A sequence or sequences that will play once at the beginning of the show before animation or musical sequences start.  For example you might have a sequence that takes some lights from off to some "beginning of show state".  Another use that I use is to have a short sequence that controls no lights, but executes a Windows command that does something - in my case, it sends me an E-Mail to advise that the show has started (there are some lights that ramp up too).  You might also have a sequence you only want to run at the beginning of the show.  For example, I have a THX opening to my show.

Animation:  A sequence or sequences that will play whenever the show is running after the startup section has completed.  Could be used for things that do not relate to the music.  for example if you have Merry-Go-round that runs with some animation regardless of the music.

Interactive:  Sequences that will be triggered when something happens.  For example during my year round landscape show, if someone walks up to my front porch, or opens the front door, the lights on the porch steps ramp up for one minute.

5 hours ago, Dr_Aplet said:

I would like to have some/all of my lights ON or doing something when a show is not playing so my wife can enjoy them.  what is the best way to do that.

Have a separate show that just plays the desired lights on that is scheduled during your non-show hours.  I do something similar in my year round landscape lighting.  After my evening show completes, I have an overnight show that just has a few lights that are just on.

29 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Animation:  A sequence or sequences that will play whenever the show is running after the startup section has completed.  Could be used for things that do not relate to the music.  for example if you have Merry-Go-round that runs with some animation regardless of the music.

lets see if i have this right.  So the hierarchy would be :

background: is repeating all the time during a show. 
startup: plays the sequence or sequences to kick off the show but does not continue to loop with the main sequences. 

Animation: starts your motors or motion that runs the entire show long (would these change if the particular musical sequences did something different like turned them off for a particular part?) Do they reset or terminate when a sequence starts?
Musical sequence: operates until the show ends and will terminate when the sequence finishes
shutdown?: might be a sequence like a record slowing down or batteries winding down to a final off state.  like the startup you don't want it to repeat in the show if the main/ musical parts repeats. 

Pretty close.  For all practical purposes, you never want the same channel being controller by more than one sequence at the same time.  And before you ask, a channel that is off is NOT the same as not there.  Since you are using S5, what this means is that you need to have two (or more) Previews.  For example using my year round landscape lighting show.  I have Previews called "Landscaping with steps", Landscaping without steps", and "Landscaping Steps only".  The names should be pretty obvious.  The Startup sequence uses the "Landscaping with steps" preview.  Part of what that sequence does is to bring the porch steps up to a low level.  The the two normal evening landscape sequences Use the "Landscaping without steps" preview.  They don't ever control the porch steps.  The interactive sequences that ramp the porch steps lights up when any of the triggers happen uses the "Landscaping steps only" preview.  All they do is control the three porch steps light strips.  Make sense?

Correct about the shutdown.  In the case of my landscape evening show, at the end of the show, the shutdown sequence ramps down most of the yard lights that are not used overnight, and dims most of the ones that do stay on.

On 11/25/2020 at 3:38 PM, k6ccc said:

For all practical purposes, you never want the same channel being controller by more than one sequence at the same time.

I found one practical reason for this: A display had a channel that controlled a snow machine. It had an interactive sequence triggered by a coin receiver so that the kids could insert a quarter and get some snow. But there was also one sequence ("Let it Snow") that also made snow. So the "Let it Snow" sequence had a channel that the other sequences did not. In S5, this would mean it would use a slightly different preview called "Christmas with Snow".

Before this was figured out, what would happen is that a kid would insert a quarter, the snow would start, and then just at the wrong time a new sequence would start, which would turn the snow machine off.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2020 at 9:10 PM, Don said:

You'd be amazed at how many people have done that.

Starting in 5.5.16 the Show Editor will default to the Musical Tab.

That’s good to know it will be default. I did this while testing and figured it out before going live.