Light-O-Rama Forums

Is this too complicated for me??

ValT

I'm a business owner and Christmas lover and I want to do a big light display in my business windows. I would hire a company but this is not a thing like it is in the South where I used to live and enjoy various light shows at private residences and businesses.  All of the commercial people here only do shopping malls and city buildings. Several of them recommended lightorama. Great! However - I am not technologically inclined. I had a friend who is so inclined give me advice on what to purchase to make it all work .I have 4 windows and want to use led and regular string lights as well as light up figures to create a light show that people will drive by and see this holiday season. I believe I need:

Gen4 Mini Director with MP3 player (I have a computer already),

SPK-ST generic starter package,

cosmic color controller II with 2 strings of 50 bullet pixels

100RGB Bulbs green wire - dry

Residential Series Addon CTB16PC -Ready to Go

I'm out of my depth so advice is appreciated.Thanks! Val

Lets nail down things a bit as you seem to list both Dumb and Smart lights.

The residential controller will run up to 16 strings of Basic (no effects) Plug into the Wall Lights. Depending on the type of lights, those can be many 100's of bulbs long (LED allow high count end to end). Just avoid Martha Stewart brand: They seem to have smoke  issues

On to the smart RGB (the cosmic color stuff) The basic license in the base starter  is not enough to create/use your own sequences. Go to Pro

The CCR comes with 2 @ 50 of bullets, but you  can order other types of lights instead. Or if you do also want bullets and Bulbs, you might want 2 @ of 50 bulbs so you could chain a string of both on a port .

All depends on your layout needs.

On to the Mini-director.  You don't need this IF you use your PC to run the show. OTOH you might want to use  the slightly bigger model (not the Mini) because it has a REAL TIME CLOCK to start and stop your show

Welcome Val!    You will find many willing to help here.    This is the time we are all very busy setting up our own shows tho..    Most of us synchronize the lights to music.    You didnt say you wanted to do that.   If you do then you will need speakers for walk by people to hear.  Or you could have a radio transmitter so people could hear in their car.      I am guessing you want to attract eyes with the lights to the four windows with out sync'd music.   

If you plan to drape the lights on hooks in the windows I think you would want the c7 bulb style.   These are visible from most angles.   The bullet style is usually mounted in a frame to point them at the viewing area.   The bulb will look good inside and outside the store.     Some people carefully mount each bulb so its says in place but you can also just let them hang free. 

Seen well when draped from hooks  12v-green-bulbs-50-count-with-end-connec           bulb with reflector                        

When turned away not easy to see.  Not as good for viewing both inside and outside.   12v-green-bullet-pixels-50-count-2.gif   bullet style

How big are the windows and how close together do you want the lights?       Maybe just one of these would work for you.   Its four strings of 50 with 6 inches between them.  So each set of 50 is 25 feet long.    

1 hour ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Welcome Val!    You will find many willing to help here.    This is the time we are all very busy setting up our own shows tho..    Most of us synchronize the lights to music.    You didnt say you wanted to do that.   If you do then you will need speakers for walk by people to hear.  Or you could have a radio transmitter so people could hear in their car.      I am guessing you want to attract eyes with the lights to the four windows with out sync'd music.   

If you plan to drape the lights on hooks in the windows I think you would want the c7 bulb style.   These are visible from most angles.   The bullet style is usually mounted in a frame to point them at the viewing area.   The bulb will look good inside and outside the store.     Some people carefully mount each bulb so its says in place but you can also just let them hang free. 

Seen well when draped from hooks  12v-green-bulbs-50-count-with-end-connec           bulb with reflector                        

When turned away not easy to see.  Not as good for viewing both inside and outside.   12v-green-bullet-pixels-50-count-2.gif   bullet style

How big are the windows and how close together do you want the lights?       Maybe just one of these would work for you.   Its four strings of 50 with 6 inches between them.  So each set of 50 is 25 feet long.    

And if the DOOR is in the middle, you need the PIXEL (has the matching connectors) extension cords . As you will discover. there are no standards for cords. you need LOR for LOR pixels, brand H for theirs. A few vendors will offer 'works with' items. do pay attention when ordering.  Another thing VOLTAGE. There are both 5V and 12V in common use. Know which you need (not an issue with this package.)

Thank you all! BobO...yes, I want to sync the lights to music. I have a large bluetooth speaker. One window area is about 55" high, and 55" wide - 4 windows wide is what I'm going for - no door. BAsically I want to use string lights and rope lights and I have some LED lights, hook them up together and run a light show to holiday music.  Thank you for all your help! Really appreciate it! Val

One thing to consider here folks, this is a "business", which makes this a commercial use.   The music industry has allowed us grace in using music royalty and cost free in our home displays as long as there is no charge and it's NOT on commercial or business property.

So the OP playing this to attract customers to their business, is, in all probability, going to need to pay the licensing and royalty fees with this type use.

Not trying to be a wet blanket, but we all know how the music industry moguls frown on commercial use of their wares without compensation.  And I'd hate to see the OP get into hot water due to not being aware of this part of it.   As this could be problematic for the OP, right down to possible loss of their business, and including possible jail time as well.

Non-Musical animations would be the OP's best bet here, unless they have the funds and know exactly what song, what artist and how many times it's going to be played over business hours, and after business hours if left to operate in that manner.   All kinds of hoops and criteria will want to be know if using music in a business/commercial environment.   And I'm pretty certain this would definitely be considered commercial use by the music industry.

Hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but folks wanting to do this in a business/commercial environment need to be aware of the implications this could have on them, their families and business.

Edited by Orville
  • Like 1

@Orville 

Most excellent point.  Commercial Venues have MANY additional hoops. Music is one.

That Fire Marshall is another. No roll your own (Vampire cords), Only outlet strips with breakers (at the point of use). No tripping hazzards.

are just a few.

One thing i might add is that it sounds like you want something rather simple.  I might point you to the MR Christmas outdoor lights and sounds device.  This is really straight forward.  If you can get over the poor music that it comes with, it has all the work done for you.  I tried this first but couldn't get over the music plus i wanted to choose my own music.  This is a cheap starter that runs just simple houshold christmas lights synchronized to music all in one package. https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Christmas-Outdoor-Lights-Sounds/dp/B000K4R8VU