Light-O-Rama Forums

My LOR 800 Commercial Show time controller displaying "no connection" and wont communicate with my PC

zack

17 hours ago, dibblejr said:

The manual that comes with the equipment both online and included with the purchase. There are warning of this in hundreds if not thousands of posts here. But most people like me do not even know there is an LOR forum until well after a purchase. I didn't know for 7 years after my purchase. All I knew was I had controllers, a laptop and props. I didn't know anything about sequencing. The software on the laptop was 2. something.

I actually stumbled across and tried Nutcracker first. Trying to sequence faces but that didn't go well. Shortly after found and lurked the LOR forum but .... didn't join. The one thing the seller told me - NEVER plug the controllers directly to the computer, always use this adapter. 

Being that the OP purchased this used comes back to my previous statement. The sellers should make every attempt to inform the purchaser of at least the bare minimal safety precautions. To do so is just a bad business person.

He should have been told "no matter what you do,  do not plug this directly to an ethernet port" period. I reiterate that many times as well as show them how they and the software work.

At this point the OP doesn't even know if it worked when he purchased it.

This is why I only sell o people that are local or willing to drive to my home. 

JR 

I guess I'm the only person that downloads every LOR manual and reads them, even for equipment I do not own as yet, and may never own.   But I have the manual for it, and have read it at least once. LOL

One other suggestion does come to mind, have a warning either embossed or painted on the Controllers lid interior, not sure how feasible that would be, and because some controllers now don't have a "hinged lid", like how the RGB boxes have to be unscrewed to get the lid off, so you might not flip the lid over to see the warning, but just lay it aside.  Ah well, just a passing thought.  

I actually wish the RGB controllers boxes were more like the CTB16PC boxes with hinged lids and padlock capable, then I could padlock them as well, plus it'd be a LOT easier to access them when they are mounted where a ladder may be required to get to it.   I've lost countless cover screws because of having to open the RGB Controller box because of it's location. 

Almost impossible to use a screw driver, hold the screws and hold the lid in place as you remove them so it doesn't fall to the ground once that last screw is removed.   Nope, give me a hinged box that can be padlocked, that would just makes things easier when having to open it to replace a Cat5 cable, which in itself in it's design can be a royal pain in the backside.  Would have been much easier if those 2 Jacks could have been side by side instead of vertical the way they are.

4 hours ago, Orville said:

I guess I'm the only person that downloads every LOR manual and reads them, even for equipment I do not own as yet, and may never own.   But I have the manual for it, and have read it at least once. LOL

One other suggestion does come to mind, have a warning either embossed or painted on the Controllers lid interior, not sure how feasible that would be, and because some controllers now don't have a "hinged lid", like how the RGB boxes have to be unscrewed to get the lid off, so you might not flip the lid over to see the warning, but just lay it aside.  Ah well, just a passing thought.  

I actually wish the RGB controllers boxes were more like the CTB16PC boxes with hinged lids and padlock capable, then I could padlock them as well, plus it'd be a LOT easier to access them when they are mounted where a ladder may be required to get to it.   I've lost countless cover screws because of having to open the RGB Controller box because of it's location. 

Almost impossible to use a screw driver, hold the screws and hold the lid in place as you remove them so it doesn't fall to the ground once that last screw is removed.   Nope, give me a hinged box that can be padlocked, that would just makes things easier when having to open it to replace a Cat5 cable, which in itself in it's design can be a royal pain in the backside.  Would have been much easier if those 2 Jacks could have been side by side instead of vertical the way they are.

Nope. Me too. I also keep older versions. I do wish LOR would use 'change bars' when the release a new issue, makes coming up to speed on new stuff faster

Tip. Calibre e-book Library manager  (free: Win, MAC or Linux) to manage all your books. I started adding ALL my Users guides, Operation or Parts. You get to 'tag' each book with YOUR terms, which makes searching a snap. (You will also see me over at the Calibre forum)

5 hours ago, Orville said:

Personally I only read up on what I use, know and am comfortable with. there is no use for me to read up on something I don't use or plan to use. I also only give advice or tech help to things that I know extremely well so I don't muddy up waters that is already a little murky.

Simply reading a manual or reading on forums doesn't make anyone an sme.

I don't answer questions unless I am a sme (subject matter expert) on whatever is being asked. That doesn't come from simply reading it goes along with hands on.

I talk to a lot of people on the phone that have gotten advice or "help" from others only to make the situation worse. 

JR

17 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Personally I only read up on what I use, know and am comfortable with. there is no use for me to read up on something I don't use or plan to use. I also only give advice or tech help to things that I know extremely well so I don't muddy up waters that is already a little murky.

Simply reading a manual or reading on forums doesn't make anyone an sme.

I don't answer questions unless I am a sme (subject matter expert) on whatever is being asked. That doesn't come from simply reading it goes along with hands on.

I talk to a lot of people on the phone that have gotten advice or "help" from others only to make the situation worse. 

JR

I only quote the manual if I see something that may relate to the problem.  I do not use them for sme, as that would be completely foolish.

And sometimes the manual might say things that sometimes will make something worse because maybe it's been updated since the last time I read it.  Although I try to read the latest manuals and save them as well.  But sometimes info gleaned from them isn't exactly how you may have interpreted it, know that one from experience. LOL

But even though I may not have the equipment, and I may not ever use or buy it, I still get the manual and read it.  Why?  because one day I might change my mind and actually opt to buy the equipment and use it, then at least I have some semblance of knowledge on it.  So I don't consider downloading and reading all the LOR manuals for their wares a waste of time.

But I do agree real world experience with the item in question does help a lot, but even folks that use them sometimes still may make a blunder here or there when helping others.   After all, we can't retain every single manual we read and sometimes we can't even remember how we made something work the previous year that isn't working in the next.   I write down notes, but then finding those notes sometimes can be a challenge in themselves.

All part of the human equation and there is no avoiding that.