Light-O-Rama Forums

looking to Buy G3s

Clark_Griswold

Hello - 

Tis the season - I was burned on a p2p purchase of 2 LOR controllers (NOT IN THIS FORUM COMMUNITY)in Dallas. Since Im a newb trying my hand at lightshows, I guess the person saw me coming from a mile away. I now have 2 cool CTB16DV5 boat anchors ( anyone want these?) - I failed to peek under the skirt. Looking to purchase 2 G3's!

Edited by Clark_Griswold

9 hours ago, Clark_Griswold said:

Hello - 

Tis the season - I was burned on a p2p purchase of 2 LOR controllers (NOT IN THIS FORUM COMMUNITY)in Dallas. Since Im a newb trying my hand at lightshows, I guess the person saw me coming from a mile away. I now have 2 cool CTB16DV5 boat anchors ( anyone want these?) - I failed to peek under the skirt. Looking to purchase 2 G3's!

Why do you call them 'Boat Anchors'.  Are they really LOR controllers or something else with that part number?

Or did you just miss a e-bay description that described reduced functionality (from original condition)?

If the work. Just work within their limits.  eg G2 can not run on a fast network: Simply add another Network (Red for your newer controllers ). Build/buy a  snubber to use LED's on older controllers when they fail to go full dark  or use Mini-lights this year.

24 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Why do you call them 'Boat Anchors'.  Are they really LOR controllers or something else with that part number?

Or did you just miss a e-bay description that described reduced functionality (from original condition)?

If the work. Just work within their limits.  eg G2 can not run on a fast network: Simply add another Network (Red for your newer controllers ). Build/buy a  snubber to use LED's on older controllers when they fail to go full dark  or use Mini-lights this year.

There are some honest people around however most people selling on Ebay, FB and other groups see a new person and take advantage of them not knowing.

If selling LOR equipment why not list them on the LOR forums? A: Because here they can be called out and the buyer can learn before buying them. Most of the aforementioned sellers are either knowingly upgrading to G3 models and or selling thing that do not work 100% or in some cases at all. And do not voluntarily pass the information on to the perspective buyer.

This is why when I started selling my 50 G3 controllers I only sell locally so the buyer can stop by, we connect to my computer, go to HU to find unit ID and connect to my singing faces since they will test all 16 channels at one time.

I have been asked on FB, LOR forums and other groups to ship and I always tell the "sorry I only sell locally" for the reasons I mentioned above. the last thing I want to do is have someone buy something get it shipped and then say "there is a problem". This way they can reach out to me if they have a problem and I can physically help them.

I have always stated this in the open, no secret.

For instance Earle Talley always lists the version, this allows people to research and know what they are buying. I was burned a long time ago in 2005 in NY not far from LOR factory. I purchased an entire display including laptop with a very old 2. something version. Back when the songs were cut down to 2 mins or less for whatever reason. Figured since I could reach out and touch the guy I could have access to his knowledge. Then things happened and I retired from the Army. I moved and all went in to storage for a while. Since I had his laptop i was able to plug and play and that was all.

However many controllers were dead. In 2009 I attempted to contact him but he had passed away. In 2014 I discovered the LOR forums but didn't join until 2016 .  I think I purchased my new software and first 3 G3 controllers in 2015/2016. That was when I started learning about the newest controllers and I upgraded 1-3 at a time and donated the old to my local friends.

In most cases you cant blame the new buyer how would they know what questions to ask?

JR

16 hours ago, Clark_Griswold said:

Hello - 

Why would you say these are boat anchors? Do they work? You don't need a G3 to run a show. I've got two of those (metal case right?)  and they run my show just fine. Might need some snubbers with LEDs (I generally haven't) but not the end of the world. That being said, if you want to dispose of them, I'll be happy to take them.

I just cant communicate with them? I have the S5 and run HW utility and cannot find the unit - led continues to flash. I have tried using a common USB>232>RS585>Cat5 adapter and set the BAUD rate to its lowest and also all the way up to 115k, no dice. Ive uninsalled and reinstalled drivers for the USB all with no luck. Maybe a LOR suite version mismatch since these controllers are clearly from 2007?

I'm no expert on older controllers, but I would think you would need the LOR  usb to RS 485 dongle. Generic dongles probably won't work.

1 minute ago, Clark_Griswold said:

Ive used that too - No luck

If it has LOR <> DMX jumpers make sure they are in LOR setting

50 minutes ago, Clark_Griswold said:

I just cant communicate with them? I have the S5 and run HW utility and cannot find the unit - led continues to flash. I have tried using a common USB>232>RS585>Cat5 adapter and set the BAUD rate to its lowest and also all the way up to 115k, no dice. Ive uninsalled and reinstalled drivers for the USB all with no luck. Maybe a LOR suite version mismatch since these controllers are clearly from 2007?

I'm running commercial Gen1s (both blue and green board from my S5 setup just fine. I have never done anything more than just plug in the USB of the RS485 and load drivers. Are you using the right COM port of the LOR RS485 adapter? (Windows Device manager will tell you that). I would make sure I am using an LOR RS485 adapter with their drivers with the COM port verified and only test one controller at a time and test both RJ45 ports. Also make sure you try a second Ethernet cable. If your RS485 is serial and not USB then you shouldn't need drivers but still will need to make sure hardware utility has correct COM port set.

19 hours ago, Don said:

I've been using LOR since 2004, and know a lot of people in and out of this community.

If you change your mind and want to tell me the name, let me know.

45 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

I'm no expert on older controllers, but I would think you would need the LOR  usb to RS 485 dongle. Generic dongles probably won't work.

4 minutes ago, LaughsBrightly said:

I'm running commercial Gen1s (both blue and green board from my S5 setup just fine. I have never done anything more than just plug in the USB of the RS485 and load drivers. Are you using the right COM port of the LOR RS485 adapter? (Windows Device manager will tell you that). I would make sure I am using an LOR RS485 adapter with their drivers with the COM port verified and only test one controller at a time and test both RJ45 ports. Also make sure you try a second Ethernet cable. If your RS485 is serial and not USB then you shouldn't need drivers but still will need to make sure hardware utility has correct COM port set.

Thanks all - Ive made no progress with the LOR 485 adapter I have, it may have failed. I went ahead and ordered a new one along with a new Gen3. Now I need sequences!! I am soo excited to put together my first light show for the family. 

9 minutes ago, Clark_Griswold said:

Thanks all - Ive made no progress with the LOR 485 adapter I have, it may have failed. I went ahead and ordered a new one along with a new Gen3. Now I need sequences!! I am soo excited to put together my first light show for the family. 

With two weeks before GO Live I would suggest buying sequences for this year. LOR sequence store has quite a few to pick from. You can look at their layout and start placing your lights while waiting for the controller to arrive. Figure out the number and lengths of extension cords you need, what props you will use, power you will need (got a GFCI?), and how you will keep the water out. Read lots of posts on this site. I like Walmart for affordable lights (get LED when you can) and Big Lots,  Wal-mart, and Menards for props. (and this may be a curse - I live near Bronner's). After Christmas plan on lots of shopping clearance and estate sales.

Warning: controllers breed like rabbits.

Good luck!!!!!!!

Edited by LaughsBrightly
grammer

1 hour ago, LaughsBrightly said:

With two weeks before GO Live I would suggest buying sequences for this year. LOR sequence store has quite a few to pick from. You can look at their layout and start placing your lights while waiting for the controller to arrive. Figure out the number and lengths of extension cords you need, what props you will use, power you will need (got a GFCI?), and how you will keep the water out. Read lots of posts on this site. I like Walmart for affordable lights (get LED when you can) and Big Lots,  Wal-mart, and Menards for props. (and this may be a curse - I live near Bronner's). After Christmas plan on lots of shopping clearance and estate sales.

Warning: controllers breed like rabbits.

Good luck!!!!!!!

Thanks! I finally decided to go w LOr this year as I easily have a few thousand feet of LED lights purchased from Walmart and some that I made from buying diodes in bulk. I sold all 28 of my inflatables for this ( except my 12' grinch!) Good idea on planning the layout - I will also be making my own extension cords ( I have outdoor rated spools already) Big Lots is the best when it comes to lights!  I will be building my leap arches tomorrow- PEX pipes came in today. Super excited for Xmas 2020

1 hour ago, Clark_Griswold said:

Thanks! I finally decided to go w LOr this year as I easily have a few thousand feet of LED lights purchased from Walmart and some that I made from buying diodes in bulk. I sold all 28 of my inflatables for this ( except my 12' grinch!) Good idea on planning the layout - I will also be making my own extension cords ( I have outdoor rated spools already) Big Lots is the best when it comes to lights!  I will be building my leap arches tomorrow- PEX pipes came in today. Super excited for Xmas 2020

If not to late I would recommend Walmart over big lots. Walmarts Holiday Time (blue and white box) have been around a long time and aren't going any where. Big Lots, CVS, HD, Lowes all have a smaller stock and change the mfg very often. That's my experience, I know others have different experience.

Its to bad about the other controllers.

We have a plethora of free sequences to get you started if you visit the Sequence Sharing section.

Happy lighting

JR 

13 hours ago, Clark_Griswold said:

Awesome. You've got a lot of the needed skills then. You'll be fine. I agree with JR that Wal-Mart is better than Big Lots for lights for LOR as having matching lights can matter. Big Lots is great for individual props like trees, rope lights, pathway lights, etc.

• The topic was locked