Light-O-Rama Forums

Arches (buy or make)

cvlrs2000

I am very new to this. Could someone please tell me if you purchase your arches or if you make them??? and if you make them how do you make them????

I think it might be easier for you if you type "arch" in the search box at the top of the screen. You will see at least 10 threads on this topic. That should give you the information you seek.

By all means, make them. Mine cost me a total of about $20 each to make (10' long, 7 channels each) and if I had to sell them (because of the time involved) I probably would want at least $75 to $100 each. They are time consuming, but it was very worth it.

I used the two videos that evana posted. Instead of using a potato twister, I used an ice cream maker. It spins a little fast, but once I got the hang of it I wrapped my arches in no time. I used 3/4" grey pvc conduit. It flexes well, it is UV protected so it shouldn't get brittle in the sun. I put 7 channels (7 sets of lights) on a 10' piece. I ended up with about 8' of lights. Either I wrapped them a little tighter than others or my light strings were a little shorter. Then I used 20ga. wire from Radio shack and cut off the males cords and soldered the 20ga wire onto the light strings to extend the plugs all to the same point at the end of the arch, just like in the video. I have a total of about 2 hours per arch all together. Now I just have to finish my LOR pc kit and set everything up in the yard to try them out. Good luck!

Lauderdalechristmas.com has a powerpoint presentation on leaping arches that is awesome. Go to their site and download it or give me your e-mail address and I'll send you a copy. You'll need microsoft powerpoint or the viewer from microsoft to view it though.