Light-O-Rama Forums

How do I get started configuring DMX hardware?

jwilliams31

I've seen a number of tutorials on how to get started sequencing, but not one on how to set up controllers.

I'm coming from years of running my show with Vixen.  I've been using DIY Lynx DMX USB dongle (ENTTEC Pro USB) and Lynx controllers.  I'd like to start using LOR S5 going forward, but have no idea where to start in connecting my hardware.

In Vixen it's easy, but LOR has so many different modules, I have no idea where to start setting up the dongle, my controllers, channels, etc.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

So I'm starting to figure it out.  I found the place to add my dongle at least, under Network Preferences.  But now every time I try to open the sequencer or the hardware utility, I get a message that the COM port is in use.

If I open Sequencer, I get "Make sure shows are disabled and Hardware Utility is closed".  I don't have any shows since I just started this, and HU is closed.

Also, when I do open HU, it gives me the option to try to force the release of the COM port, but it fails every time.

I have no knowledge of the Lynx controllers but LOR uses two types of networks; RS485 for their own controllers which is very slow but very long range, up to 4,000 feet.  It is connected to a LOR Director or to your computer via a usb adapter plugged into a usb port.

The second network is E1.31 via the ethernet port on your computer. This network is much faster but much shorter distance, 300'.

Here is a good read:

http://www1.lightorama.com/PDF/IntroductionToDMXandE131.pdf

Have you installed the RS-485 USB Drivers LOR recommends?   If not, that may be what you need to do.  As the LOR software I think uses those drivers to define the comm port for their adapters to their controllers.    Don't know if they'll help or not, but couldn't hurt to try to see if that could create the issue you're having with the comm port issues.

You can find the drivers here:

http://www1.lightorama.com/firmware-updates/

Scroll down until you see the RS 485 Driver, the file name is: CDM21228_Setup.exe    Just click on the word Download on the far right of the filename to get the file.

Hope it may resolve your issue.

19 hours ago, jwilliams31 said:

I've seen a number of tutorials on how to get started sequencing, but not one on how to set up controllers.

I'm coming from years of running my show with Vixen.  I've been using DIY Lynx DMX USB dongle (ENTTEC Pro USB) and Lynx controllers.  I'd like to start using LOR S5 going forward, but have no idea where to start in connecting my hardware.

In Vixen it's easy, but LOR has so many different modules, I have no idea where to start setting up the dongle, my controllers, channels, etc.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Just amuse the HU and hit the "Disable Shows Immediately" button in the CP.

If you hit "auto config" in the HU you will be chasing your tail.

Cant help you with and dongles outside of LOR but there are a lot of tutorials, threads and even in the LOR manuals that tell you how to configure and set up controllers.

JR

Just amuse the HU and hit the "Disable Shows Immediately" button in the CP.

This option is greyed out.  It's frustrating as hell.

37 minutes ago, jwilliams31 said:

37 minutes ago, jwilliams31 said:

Most of us use LOR controllers or a mix of LOR controllers and newer outside DMX controllers.

This is why I test all year and especially whenever I get a new controller.

Though at times I get frustrated it makes it less frustrating not being under the gun just before the holidays.

Does your computer USB recognize your adapters?

Plug all in

go to

Device management

Write down the ports you see

Unplug your adapters and write down which go to which usb port

So not mix them up- best to at least put a piece of tape on the adapters and the port until you are done

Once you do that plug them back in one by one 

Note you cannot share ports in the computer so if you see two com 3’s you must reassign the ports

Advance tab or properties then advance tab in the USB port screen - not HU

The directions may be a little off, not something I do much but lately I have helped about 10 members fix their USB port assignments 

JR

Edited by dibblejr

I'll have to play around with it.  Network Preferences seems to detect my USB port, and the Comms Listener connects.  It just seems like CL doesn't want to let go once it makes that connection.

4 hours ago, jwilliams31 said:

I'll have to play around with it.  Network Preferences seems to detect my USB port, and the Comms Listener connects.  It just seems like CL doesn't want to let go once it makes that connection.

Check for antivirus / firewalls and windows defender.

WD has been problematic for a couple weeks with several people I have assisted.

But you should try to get your ports back in order

JR

8 hours ago, jwilliams31 said:

The network preferences/configuration software just tells the LOR software how you have defined the comm ports, networks and whether those networks are enhanced or not, it doesn't really detect anything, it just allows you to set them up for your particular settings.

When you say the Comm Listener does not want to let go of the port, is this in the HU?   I ask because if you are using the HU to test things on any other Comm port other than the main comm port listed as the first one, usually comm 3, the HU won't disengage it unless you tell the Comm Listener to STOP using that particular port {in my case comm4 is my 2nd Network port}.  

If you don't tell the Comm Listener to quit using the comm port from the pop up window in the HU, it WILL NOT release it and therefore NOTHING will function on that comm port and you should get a message stating that comm port is currently in use with a pop up window, the same one that also asks if you want the comm listener to quit using or release that port.  Click yes to release it, then the testing in the HU should work.

I have to do this every time I want to refresh my RGB Controllers to see, test or configure them in the HU.   If I don't, they won't show up or anything else due to the comm port in question is being used by another program or process.

When you say the Comm Listener does not want to let go of the port, is this in the HU?

So here's what happens to me.  When I open Network Preferences, I select COMM3 and the driver (ENTTEC USB Pro) and hit apply.  The CL automatically opens, then connects to the COMMS port.  I don't do anything other than configure the port under Network Preferences.  Even if I close the CLI window for CL, it will automatically reopen and reconnect.

I don't even open HU.

20 hours ago, jwilliams31 said:

So here's what happens to me.  When I open Network Preferences, I select COMM3 and the driver (ENTTEC USB Pro) and hit apply.  The CL automatically opens, then connects to the COMMS port.  I don't do anything other than configure the port under Network Preferences.  Even if I close the CLI window for CL, it will automatically reopen and reconnect.

I don't even open HU.

Okay, here's where this gets fun, if I do not put my RED H.S. Adapter into the USB port, which connects as Comm4, and I go and set the Network settings in the Network Configuration area then the CL will latch onto the missing Adapter and keep sending a command looking for Comm4 and that Adapter, if I plug the adapter in that has already set itself as Comm4, then change my network preferences to match my adapters, CL will show it as active, but it will only release it if I tell it to within the HU or if I change the settings in the Network Configuration program, then remove the Comm4 adapter, then the CL will release it.

At least from what I'm gathering, it sounds like you may be setting the network configuration up BEFORE you've installed the adapter that it's looking for, causing the CL to latch on and not let it go.

I think you are chasing your tail.

It would probably be best to go to device management and USB ports as I mentioned before.

But first plug in all adapters.

You will see each adapter you plug or unplug.

Mark them and the com port with a piece of tape until everything works.

Once everything works use a sharpie and mark them or a label maker.

If you unplug an adapter always plug it back in to the same USB port.

The first time you go to HU you will always see “com ... is in use, would you like to tell CL to stop using” the answer here is yes.

The next question “you have changed comm... would you like to use this com port to run your show” the answer is NO.

Normally comm 3 will be the one to run the show.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, sorry for the long absence, I had some computer issues.  I think I've made some progress, but still have some newbie questions.  I just realized that the Hardware Utility is mainly for LOR hardware, which I'm not using.  I set up my USB dongle in Network Preferences under the DMX tab only.  Looking at the Hardware Utility, it seems useless to me since it's all LOR based and not DMX.

Here is my other question, since the Hardware Utility is for LOR hardware, is there a way to test my DMX connection to make sure it's configured properly and able to communicate with my controllers?  I'd just like to do a simple light test, All On/Off type thing before I get too deep in the woods on programming and it not work for me for some reason.

Thanks.

Easier to just use the test in the controller setup page. You can use the pixel console in HU select dmx and feed it the universe number.

You don't say your controller type but I think they all have a browser based interface with a test feature.

40 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

You don't say your controller type but I think they all have a browser based interface with a test feature.

True if it's an E1.31 pixel controller, but likely not for things on a RS485 DMX network.

I think I got it.  I found another thread that offered the recommendation of just creating and running a test sequence.  So I did.  I created a new 1 minute sequence, turned all channels full on and hit play.  All my lights came on.

Thanks for bearing with me.  I've been using Vixen for the last 10 years and am finally moving on to some more advanced sequencing software, so there's a bit of a learning curve.

• Like 1