Light-O-Rama Forums

Lessons Learned the Hard Way - CCA Cable

jfuller8400

Ok, Ok, I know.. I know.  I should have purchased pure copper cable rather than CCA.  My Bad and I won't do it again.

Here's a video I made showing what happened:

• Like 1

You know that old saying, "You get what you pay for."

I know how you feel, I did the same thing 10 years ago. The white powder is the aluminum disintegrating due to oxidation.

Edited by Mr. P

Do you think this was from moisture soaking into the cable from the jacket cut ends? Just curious.

Still, Lesson learned from your vid. Indoor wire (or cheap box store LEDS) will not survive seasons, even with care.

I have seen this type of thing occur before but usually it’s from overheating the own casing while soldering.

I just helped a member here a few days ago that had the same thing happen.

His problem because he was trying to melt 3 pre soldered butt connectors at once therefore either melting the connector to the point that the solder would come outside the connector and or melting the cable.

And it does turn white while over heating to a beyond melting point.

Not saying this is what J did but letting anyone know that may stumble across this thread.

I will be posting another thread about what the suns heat can do to RGB lights after exposure to the weather for 4 years.

Basically it melted the casings causing a short at the node chip level.

I found that after the hurricane damage last week.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

On 11/6/2020 at 10:18 AM, TheDucks said:

Do you think this was from moisture soaking into the cable from the jacket cut ends? Just curious.

Still, Lesson learned from your vid. Indoor wire (or cheap box store LEDS) will not survive seasons, even with care.

I think the first one at the solder point could have been due to a moisture leak, but those other ones were pretty far down into the cable.  It could have been a bad batch of cable as well, but even so...

Had bought this stuff a few years ago i think it's due to being exposed to outside moisture all kinds of white marks on all four wires kept cutting thought i had it fixed no way  stripped about 15 feet still white spots just no good for outdoor bought copper wire problem solved

• The topic was locked